Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjla View Post
Hello,

I graduated from Shaw High School in 1990 and I might just have a better education/resume than most of the people who have replied to your comment. I suggest you don't buy into stereotypes.

The band also went to China for the Olympics. There are a lot of good things in the district mixed with some bad. Such is life.

Take the job and make a difference - if you have the backbone and the desire to be an excellent teacher.
Hey Fellow Cardinal! I graduated in 1992. As an Educator I must say that while ECSD is rough and they have excellent top notch program there. They're not looking for quality teachers.

Case in point- I left in 1992 headed for an HBCU then earned a Masters at an Ivy League school. I worked as an Educator for the Gov't for numerous years and decided to come home to east Cleveland to hang out for awhile. I applied for a Sub License and was turned down almost immediately the next day. Why? i asked and no answer came only voice mails and a very rude sec'ty taking my calls.

ECSD is hard to get into because it's ran by friends and family and you have to KNOW someone to get in here seriously if your qualifications exceed theirs.

Shaw Band is a good band. I was a Flag Girl.

But, I wouldn't buy into all the hype but just be careful. I ran these streets during my youth and when I became older sometimes all night.The hood will always be the safest place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Considering the OP's recent posts, I'm guessing that he/she took a job elsewhere.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:25 AM

6 posts, read 15,671 times
A few of my dear friends teach in EC and LOVE their jobs. Contrary to the above comments, many of their students are bright and go on to attend college. They work at the high school, and keep up with several of their students who graduate. Yes there is crime and blight in that city, however that does not mean the children do not wish to learn and create a better world for themselves. Its an urban environment, so you can expect all that comes with it. However, if you are a good teacher who truly loves children you can be successful in EC or in any school. I taught several years in both Cleveland and Detroit, and enjoyed both places . . . at the end of the day kids are kids, some just come to you with more issues.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,465 times
I am a product of east cleveland schools. I had great teachers for the most part and i received a great education. For all the nay sayers i am a graduate student, i dont have any children and i own my home and vehicles and i have never been on any public assistance. My family has never been on any public assistance. Its negative people like you all who dont try to uplift the children and show them that they can do more, you promote failure. I can tell you about 100 other people who are products of eccsd who are doing as well as i am.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,394 times
I am a teacher in East Cleveland. I have taught in Chambers and Superior. I have had an overwhelmingly positive experience. 90% of the kids are GREAT.
-Ms. Myers

Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,877 times
I lived in cleveland on lee road and harvard for 35 years..moved to california back in 2000 and lived in washington state near idaho and oregon....Im coming back to ohio, lol....east cleveland wasn't too bad back in the day..Im not sure how it is now...I think I would take it...Im a born again believer in Christ and the way I look at it, God knows better then you and you could very well be there to make a difference in someone's life

Old 12-04-2010, 12:09 AM

288 posts, read 1,554,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Theres some in Lorain like that too, but just not as bad.
I've been to one in Lorain that struck me as different. I couldn't turn off my car that day, so I was hoping no one would mess with it while I was inside.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:03 AM

389 posts, read 804,193 times
>>>Thanks for the replies. I know I won't be changing the world but I at least want to feel safe at work, you know?

That may not be possible. You will have to play by their rules in order to be safe. If things become a power struggle in the classroom, things will go badly for you.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 AM

102 posts, read 198,750 times
Im sure it takes certain qualities to teach at a school like that, just as it would take certain ones to teach at a more stuffier, snobby school.

If its not for you than don't do it, and don't feel bad about it, don't let these people say you're an ******* because this is not your cup of tea.

But I would imagine ECSD has plenty of bright kids who want to learn and get the hell outta E.C. and better themselves, so in that regard, you might get some super motivated kids and you may even save a kids life by being a great teacher.

It could be potentially much more rewarding, but if you're not looking for that, than thats ok.

Do what you feel is right for you.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:53 AM

708 posts, read 1,814,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euclidbuck View Post
Im sure it takes certain qualities to teach at a school like that, just as it would take certain ones to teach at a more stuffier, snobby school.

If its not for you than don't do it, and don't feel bad about it, don't let these people say you're an ******* because this is not your cup of tea.

But I would imagine ECSD has plenty of bright kids who want to learn and get the hell outta E.C. and better themselves, so in that regard, you might get some super motivated kids and you may even save a kids life by being a great teacher.

It could be potentially much more rewarding, but if you're not looking for that, than thats ok.

Do what you feel is right for you.
\
I totally agree with this....You have to be the one to make that decision..Like I said, there might be a reason for you to be there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland