Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:31 AM

45 posts, read 146,510 times

Advertisements

I haven't received any response on the Akron-Canton forum so I figured I'd ask here, too.

I recently moved to the Northfield area and was wondering where any decent Catholic churches are. I get so many flyers in the mail for Protestant churches but none for Catholic churches. St. Barnabas sings way too much compared to the average Catholic church. I would like to find a family-friendly church with a decent Mass. There should be music, but not overkill like St. Barnabas (i.e., the Our Father should be accessible to all, including visitors, thus I prefer it spoken). I like a good balance between a good message, sacred silence, receiving the Lord, and music where it's appropriate. In other words, I like to come out of Mass enlightened, not annoyed.

How are St. Mary's in Hudson and Our Lady of Guadulupe in Macedonia? Are there any good churches in southern Cuyahoga county? I've heard good stuff about St. Albert the Great in North Royalton. When I grew up, our family did not go to the closest church for Mass. I'd be willing to drive 15 minutes to find a good Mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 06:37 AM

Update: Tried St. Albert the Great at 11 AM on Sunday. Was really enlightened there. The pastor gave an outstanding sermon about Pentecost and the Holy Spirit; it's too bad that he's retiring in 2 weeks. The Mass was not overloaded with singing, and the church was beautiful. Too bad it wasn't a tad closer to Northfield. Also, my fiancee wishes that the Blood of Christ were offered. We're going to keep shopping.

Hopefully we can find something reasonably close with a great priest, an opportunity to receive the Blood of Christ, and no overkill on the singing (neither one of us like those churches where they sing everything every week).

Old 06-01-2009, 06:39 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
I would check their schedule or ask, some masses only do the Blood at one service on Sundays.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,288,515 times
If you ever want to mix it up, Cleveland has some GORGEOUS old churches....personally, I usually go to Holy Rosary in Little Italy...but occasionally I mix it up with St. Stanislaus to hear the mass in Polish, St. John Cathedral downtown, and St. Coleman on the near west side. All absolutely beautiful. (St. Stanislaus in Slavic Village wins hands down with beauty)

Not recommending any of these for a home parish obviously, since you'd be coming from Northfield, but it may be worth your time to check them out a couple times a year.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:12 AM

405 posts, read 1,214,458 times
St. Stephen and St. Stanislaus are IMO the two most beautiful churches in the Cleveland area, and I would place St. Stephen ahead of St. Stanislaus. St. Colman is a close third. St. John Cathedral is nice, but they really butchered it with some bad mid 20th century "renovations".

Gesu Parish in University Heights also has a nice mass and would be a little closer for you.

Go on a weekly church tour around the Cleveland area as part of your going to Mass and see what you like and you may even find a church not too far from you which you absolutely love.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
If you ever want to mix it up, Cleveland has some GORGEOUS old churches....personally, I usually go to Holy Rosary in Little Italy...but occasionally I mix it up with St. Stanislaus to hear the mass in Polish, St. John Cathedral downtown, and St. Coleman on the near west side. All absolutely beautiful. (St. Stanislaus in Slavic Village wins hands down with beauty)

Not recommending any of these for a home parish obviously, since you'd be coming from Northfield, but it may be worth your time to check them out a couple times a year.
I was baptized there (Holy Rosary)! It is a beautiful church!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 AM

405 posts, read 1,214,458 times
Holy Rosary is nice as well, and has the added plus of being in Little Italy. Arhcitecturally, it is not quite as elegant as some others around Cleveland, but it's still a nice place. One of the best things about it is their 8 pm Sunday Mass.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 AM

It's a shame about the recent church closings in the Diocese. Some beautiful churches were shut down. I normally go to church back in the Youngstown area because I'm visiting my fiancee and family. My current church and my fiancee's church are beautiful with great priests. Hopefully N. Summit county or S. Cuyahoga County will give me the same enlightenment. I've ruled out St. Barnabas in Northfield (the CLOSEST parish to me).

Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I'm not a Catholic, but my daughter is, so I know what you mean about many churches having intrusive music. Her church is the worst. I guess their theory is if someone is willing to sing, but can't, they're still included, and a cheap sound system is better than one with a volume knob, right? Don't even get me started on when priests love to hear themselves sing.
A lot of Protestant churches have this problem too. I don't want a hip church service. I like my religion quiet and plain.
Anyway, I've heard that St Mary's in Hudson is very nice.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm not a Catholic, but my daughter is, so I know what you mean about many churches having intrusive music. Her church is the worst. I guess their theory is if someone is willing to sing, but can't, they're still included, and a cheap sound system is better than one with a volume knob, right? Don't even get me started on when priests love to hear themselves sing.
A lot of Protestant churches have this problem too. I don't want a hip church service. I like my religion quiet and plain.
Anyway, I've heard that St Mary's in Hudson is very nice.
I do like music at Mass, just not an overdose where it appears to overshadow the Eucharist and the message. It should supplement it, not overshadow it. My church, my fiancee's church, and St. Albert all do not treat music as the center of Mass. St. Barnabas sings everything, even stuff that's usually spoken at most churches, like the Our Father -- every week. Hopefully St. Mary's in Hudson is not like St. Barnabas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland