Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:25 AM

18 posts, read 47,788 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to the east side. My child is enrolled at one of the private schools.

I look at Shaker Heights and love the homes and areas but the taxes are killers. But, I also know that if I want to sell my house in 5-10 years Shaker will be the place to buy a home.

I wonder if I can find a great deal in Shaker, maybe get my taxes reassesed and live happily ever after?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:09 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Check out RE sections. Many beautiful Shaker homes are going cheap (many w/ 4 BRs and handcrafted interior features, like stone fireplaces, leaded windows and wood paneling) say, around 200K and, in some cases, less... Yes, taxes are a killer. But you're right, the increase in value (and Shaker's genereally always increasing) can offset... I'd look around the central part of Shaker; near the HS with Van Aken as your southern border. Also, even though some make a big deal about crime -- which is overblown, crime is everywhere -- the Sussex neighborhood in the SE corner of the City has some nice homes for great deals. Check it out. Shaker's a great community on all levels; despite some sag over recent decades it is still is the only Cleveland burb with a nat'l rep... Good luck.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:40 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Shaker Heights' crime rates have been actually dropping in recent years. The police force in SH is, in my opinion, one of the best in the area.

Property tax rates in Shaker Heights are nominally high, but the reality is that the real amount paid, for the quality/size of home you get in SH, is really no worse than most outer-ring suburbs with their inflated home values. Hopefully that makes some sense. And you won't find a city in Cuyahoga County with a better housing stock than what SH offers. Plus the odds are good that it's close to the private schools you send your kids to.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:33 PM

I currently live in Lakewood. I'm familiar about the nicer areas and the areas to avoid. I'm trying to get the same feel for Shaker. I've looked on line in the Fernway area. I'm not as sure about the Sussex area.
Is the High School near Onaway and Aldersyde?
Also, what would you consider the center of Shaker? The grenway area?

I also feel that just about any home you buy in shaker will always increase in value. It's just that the added tax payments limits the number of houses I would be able to afford. But, in this market, I'm sure I can find a deal.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analyst View Post
I've looked on line in the Fernway area. I'm not as sure about the Sussex area.
Fernway and Sussex are both nice areas. Any specifics you'd like to know? Sussex Elementary School is no longer open, children in that area attend Lomond, I believe.

Quote:
Is the High School near Onaway and Aldersyde?
Yep, it's right there on Aldersyde.

Quote:
Also, what would you consider the center of Shaker? The grenway area?
What do you mean by "the center"?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 AM

By center I was referring to an earlier post where the Center of Shaker was mentioned.

I imagine that to be the area off fernway -- ingleside, avalon, elsmere, etc.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:18 AM

Are there areas w/in Sussex which are more highly coveted than others?

Old 05-18-2009, 02:05 PM

155 posts, read 460,060 times
Quote:
Are there areas w/in Sussex which are more highly coveted than others?
IMO north of Lomond and east of Lynnfield. I believe more single family/non-rentals.

Earlier you inquired about Grenway. I am not sure if it is the center of SH, but it is in Fernway. I believe there are a couple of houses for sale (I drive down this street on my way to work).

Old 05-18-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
By center I was referring to an earlier post where the Center of Shaker was mentioned.

I imagine that to be the area off fernway -- ingleside, avalon, elsmere, etc.
Oh yeah, sorry. I think he was just referring to the geographic center, which I guess would be around Fernway Elementary School. Really pretty area.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 PM

171 posts, read 446,576 times
Default Fernway is in the center of town

Fernway is right smack in the middle of Shaker. Easy walk to the Rapid (Blue Line). Kids walk to Fernway Elem and it is great watching kids/families walk to school and not a bunch mini-vans. Check out
Shaker schools. They will be the 1st to have a I.B. program at the elementary level in 2010. Lots of families w/kids (small) in Fernway.

Last edited by exit18b; 05-18-2009 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland