Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:34 PM

11 posts, read 36,066 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving back to NE Ohio after 11 years away for schooling and life. I will be working for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs at the Brecksville campus until that campus closes in a couple years and we all move to Wade Park. In the short term I will be living with family down in Summit County; however, as I look to purchase a house I need advice on the best area to live. Should I target one of the Heights neighborhoods? Would I be better off in Seven Hills or Independence so I am between the 2 locations? What would you recommend? I am currently in my early 30's and single so I don't want to be stuck in the middle of family-land with no culture or interesting activities.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 05:21 PM

405 posts, read 1,210,303 times
It sounds like the Heights areas or downtown would be the best for you. You would have a little bit of a drive (or bus ride) initially, but it would be "against the grain" of rush hour, and when the new VA opens up, you'd be very close. Also, there is nothing comparable to Lakewood, downtown (or near West Side) or the Heights as far as a single 30 yearf old is concerned. Seven Hills and Independence are about as far opposite from what you seem to want as it gets. I would especially suggest looking at Little Italy/University Cirle, Cedar/Fairmount area, or around Coventry (especially the streets east of Coventry and south of Mayfield, there are some very nice homes there in walking district to all of the amenities (bars, restaurant, grocery store, library, bank, etc.) of Coventry.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:05 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,254,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
It sounds like the Heights areas or downtown would be the best for you. You would have a little bit of a drive (or bus ride) initially, but it would be "against the grain" of rush hour, and when the new VA opens up, you'd be very close. Also, there is nothing comparable to Lakewood, downtown (or near West Side) or the Heights as far as a single 30 yearf old is concerned. Seven Hills and Independence are about as far opposite from what you seem to want as it gets. I would especially suggest looking at Little Italy/University Cirle, Cedar/Fairmount area, or around Coventry (especially the streets east of Coventry and south of Mayfield, there are some very nice homes there in walking district to all of the amenities (bars, restaurant, grocery store, library, bank, etc.) of Coventry.
The area west of Coventry, south of Euclid Heights Boulevard also has some nice homes.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,146,361 times
It depends what your needs will be and what your means are. If you need good public schools, Independence is a good bet. If you're a confirmed bachelor/bachelorette looking for more local nightlife, downtown or the near west side is likely for you. Then, there is the University Circle area and the eastern suburbs. There are many good areas. It mostly depends on what you'll need.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 AM

405 posts, read 1,210,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
The area west of Coventry, south of Euclid Heights Boulevard also has some nice homes.
Yes, but those are much more expensive. I suppose it depends what price range the OP can afford. Both are very nice neighborhoods, but west of Coventry, south of Euclid Heights the homes are much bigger. I do like the east of Coventry, north of Euclid Heights neighborhood for its historic charm (it's about 50 years older, more late 1800s houses) by my estimate based on architecture and layout. Of course, that's surely not to say the larger houses aren't also beautiful in an early 1900s historic way.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,638 times
Default Moving to Cleveland

Please see the direct message that I sent you - I work at the VA and am selling my condo.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:45 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,254,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
Yes, but those are much more expensive. I suppose it depends what price range the OP can afford. Both are very nice neighborhoods, but west of Coventry, south of Euclid Heights the homes are much bigger. I do like the east of Coventry, north of Euclid Heights neighborhood for its historic charm (it's about 50 years older, more late 1800s houses) by my estimate based on architecture and layout. Of course, that's surely not to say the larger houses aren't also beautiful in an early 1900s historic way.
Touche. Though maybe this person is a doctor. Lots of MDs call the Heights area home.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:12 PM

Default Not an MD

Ok, well I am a Ph.D., not an MD and I am just coming into my first "real" job as a Psychologist after graduating and completing a postdoctoral fellowship. Hence, not a ton of cash in the bank!

I am currently single but not a confirmed bachelorette... Need to live somewhere where I can interact and get to meet people!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:14 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,253,313 times
For meeting people, I would definitely look around University Circle/Heights area

Most specifically:

Little Italy
University Circle itself
Shaker Square
Shaker Heights
Cleveland Heights

Don't cross off Downtown either.

If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask us. There's also a wide variety of types of residences at the eastside from new condos to affordable housing to gorgeous old homes.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:39 AM

How rough would it be to live in Lakewood? Would the commute to Wade Park be terrible? Are there parts of Downtown that are recommended over others and are they affordable? What can you tell me about Ohio City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland