Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 12:24 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,282,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsguy81 View Post
Since I am moving to the state soon I'm giving consideration to registering my car under an LLC that is owned by an anonymous LLC holding company in Wyoming to provide additional protection. A few reasons. 1) As it pertains to cameras, they won't be able to easily track down who actually owns the car. 2) With a corporate ownership, it can't ever get back to me as the actual driver, thus no case. They can file all the judgments they want against a shell corp. Have at it. 3) With license plate readers on the side of the road tracking where we come and go, with that data sold to firms such as TLOxp, TransUnion, LexisNexis, etc I'm looking to block that data being collected on my whereabouts as a matter of principle by using an LLC not traceable to me.

Trying to make a bullet proof immunity to these scams and ensuring I'm not overlooking anything here. But if the tickets are already just empty threats and don't have any teeth. Still might be worth it to shield from the nasty letters and calls.
Does such registration complicate obtaining auto insurance? Do you have any annual filing/fee/tax requirements associated with the Wyoming LLC? If the Wyoming LLC has an Ohio nexus, such as owning property in Ohio (e.g., a vehicle), it would be required to meet all Ohio filing requirements.

As insurance companies get data dumps of all traffic violations, I suspect they would pick up most tickets associated with an insured vehicle even registered in Wyoming and associate it with you.

https://www.4autoinsurancequote.com/...surance-rates/

I know Ohio insurance companies generally pick up out-of-state tickets.

And, if you ever are involved in criminal or civil litigation involving a vehicle registered in this manner, I wonder how such a fact would influence a judge or jury, especially if the LLC actually was used to dodge traffic violations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 08:24 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,134,974 times
Dear OP,

Did anyone ever tell you that you overthink things a bit? A shell corp for speeding tickets? Really? Us Ohioans contend with the OHP on a daily basis. In my 25+ years of driving, I have been ticketed exactly once by them and I will admit that I was going well in excess of the speed limit. The trooper even did me a solid and knocked it down to 15 over because it was my first offense on record. A stiff fine, yes, but waiveable and, moreover, I essentially deserved it. Btw, they'll rarely even look at you at 80MPH these days.

Also, as stated ad nauseum in this old thread, the automated tickets are not and cannot be criminal offenses. They cannot assess points and they will have to actually take you to civil court to collect any fines. And, since these camera companies are almost always located out of state, the chance of that happening is very slim. Basically, you're a sucker if you pay it without any sort of judgement against you. The "offense" is just a piece of paper saying that a camera thinks you need to pay its owner money. Needless to say, that's probably not going to hold up in any court without significant proof of calibration and operational prudence. Remember, the burden of proof is on them not you. Do you know anyone willing to file suit or even go to small claims court over $100? I certainly don't.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:36 AM

1,037 posts, read 428,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsguy81
So back to the cameras. I have read that in recent years automated photo tickets from cameras in Ohio are basically unenforceable now. Is this true?
Such are NON criminal in nature, or Civil infractions, unless an officer on the scene witnesses it and charges you, then it is citeable as a Minor Misdemeanor up to an M-1 depending on that City's Ordinances.

Civily, there can be no arrest for failure to pay a "Notice of Liability", collection will probably end up being sent to a Collection agency, depending on the Ordinance language. They have a right to keep demanding it, so how aggressive they will be, who knows.

Oh, to add, I read Toledo's Ordinance, if you do to pay they may put a "boot" on your wheels, but still non arrestable

Last edited by LTU2; 02-02-2020 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: additions

Old 02-02-2020, 06:30 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,975,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitaggarwal View Post
I got speeding ticket in cleveland ohio clicked through camera via mail. It clearly says that no points will be assessed to the driver. But my question is that my drivers license is from michigan so will they place this on my record or give me any point for that ??

Should i fight for that . Fine is $100. is it advisable to just pay it off or get an attorney, because it says no points will be assessed , will it be placed on my MI record.
Don't pay my sister in-law paid several of these tickets to find out that it was going to some company in California and Grove City didn't get a dime.Law enforcement on this offense isn't going to happen it's not legal and Ohio citizens should demand the speed trap camera's removal statewide.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:46 AM

23,876 posts, read 10,251,883 times
It takes a few mouse clicks to identify the actual owner

Old 02-02-2020, 11:26 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,410,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Don't pay my sister in-law paid several of these tickets to find out that it was going to some company in California and Grove City didn't get a dime.Law enforcement on this offense isn't going to happen it's not legal and Ohio citizens should demand the speed trap camera's removal statewide.
You do know Cleveland banned traffic cams, right?

Old 02-03-2020, 06:57 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,533,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
You do know Cleveland banned traffic cams, right?
I thought Cleveland, Dayton, and Toledo still use them, however, the difference now is a police officer has to take the picture of the offending vehicle's license plate using a handheld speed camera. This is how the cities skirt the state law. It still is a no-points offense.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:56 PM
on3

492 posts, read 370,417 times
Police can stop sitting in cars all day giving people tickets for doing 69 in a 60. Go prevent some real crime instead of trying to take money from the hands that feed you. Yes I know it’s not the police’s fault as they are just following orders. It’s the ones giving them those orders and making them meet these quotas that is bs.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:44 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,134,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I thought Cleveland, Dayton, and Toledo still use them, however, the difference now is a police officer has to take the picture of the offending vehicle's license plate using a handheld speed camera. This is how the cities skirt the state law. It still is a no-points offense.

I haven't seen one in Cleveland in years. The only suburb I know of that still uses them is Linndale and, for anyone knowing anything about how that s**thole operates, it should come at no surprise. Fortunately, it is quite easy to avoid it when using regular roads and they have no jurisdiction on the small stretch of I-71 that runs through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Police can stop sitting in cars all day giving people tickets for doing 69 in a 60. Go prevent some real crime instead of trying to take money from the hands that feed you. Yes I know it’s not the police’s fault as they are just following orders. It’s the ones giving them those orders and making them meet these quotas that is bs.

Real crimes don't line the coffers. Tickets do. But hey, it's all about your safety.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:44 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,533,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
. Fortunately, it is quite easy to avoid it when using regular roads and they have no jurisdiction on the small stretch of I-71 that runs through it.

Did something change? Linndale used to rake in speeding ticket money on that small stretch of I-71.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland