Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:33 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeli0501 View Post
I believe the lunch program is for the economically disadvantaged, and not for skin color. Why racial minorities are predominantly economically disadvantaged is another discussion entirely.

I don't think this thread needs locked. I want more people to talk about this. The state of the Cleveland schools is appalling. People always think it's about money, but throwing money at the situation is not going to make it better. Everyone needs to be held accountable, starting with the government, who I think is more interested in private interest than the welfare of Cleveland's children. After that we need to go after parents, students, and teachers.

Have any of you seen the program going on in Harlem? It's called the Harlem Children's Zone. The non-profit took over several blocks of Harlem and mentored parents as they were about to have children. The parents participate in parenting classes, GED classes, drug and alcohol rehabilitation, etc. Then the kids are put in HCZ charter schools, starting with intense toddler and pre-school programs. The kids are still poor, but they're doing amazing on standardized tests, and the hope is that the first high school class goes to college. I think the test class right now is in 6th or 7th grade.

I wish we could replicate this program in Cleveland because it's not just education reform, but neighborhood reform. They are going after the problems that contribute to the cycle of poverty.
After reading this, I am very touched that Harlem came up with this. More cities need to come up with this. I am still a firm believer that no place is a lost cause. I am not saying this is the cure-all, but this is a start in the right direction. More programs like this need to be done all over the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
More inner city schools need to try what Kalamazoo is doing. Bascially pay your college tuition if you grqaduate from thier high schools.

I don't know how Kalamazoo can possibly afford this, but:

PURPOSE
To provide each Kalamazoo Public Schools graduate with the opportunity to attend post –secondary education with up to a 100% tuition scholarship.

ELIGIBILITY
1. All students who graduate from Kalamazoo Public Schools (KPS), are residing in the district, and have been KPS students four years or more. (Enrollment and residency must be continuous.)
2. Admitted to and enrolled at any public State of Michigan university or community college.
a. Make regular progress toward a degree or certification.
b. Must maintain a 2.0 grade point average at the post-secondary institution.
c. Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
d. If the GPA drops below 2.0, a student may be reinstated if he/she is able to bring their GPA back to at least a 2.0.

https://www.kalamazoopromise.com/?mode.page.view=76

Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
More inner city schools need to try what Kalamazoo is doing. Bascially pay your college tuition if you grqaduate from thier high schools.

PURPOSE
To provide each Kalamazoo Public Schools graduate with the opportunity to attend post –secondary education with up to a 100% tuition scholarship.
The scholarhip program is privately financed:

College Tuition Promise Stokes Housing in Kalamazoo, Mich. - WSJ.com

Source: Wall Street Journal

Old 07-14-2009, 07:12 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Good article. Thanks for that. What an incredible thing for a community to do.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:47 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

PURPOSE

ELIGIBILITY
1. All students who graduate from Kalamazoo Public Schools (KPS), are residing in the district, and have been KPS students four years or more. (Enrollment and residency must be continuous.)
2. Admitted to and enrolled at any public State of Michigan university or community college.
a. Make regular progress toward a degree or certification.
b. Must maintain a 2.0 grade point average at the post-secondary institution.
c. Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
d. If the GPA drops below 2.0, a student may be reinstated if he/she is able to bring their GPA back to at least a 2.0.

https://www.kalamazoopromise.com/?<b...e.page.view=76
Georgia has the HOPE Scholarship, although the requirements for it are stricter and have been getting stricter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland