Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:28 AM

8 posts, read 123,294 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was offered a job in Cleveland Clinic and I dont have a clue about Cleveland neighborhood, Cost of Living, etc......I am currently here in UK and will be moving soon should I decide to accept the offer; my questions are as follows:

1. I read from different sites that crime rate in Cleveland is high, justified?
2. Which part in Cleveland should I live if I will work at Cleveland clinic?
3. Cost of living - rent of apartment/house per month?
4. Safety issues - anything I need to consider before moving in?
5. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 08:03 AM

93 posts, read 644,028 times
Hi! The area surrounding the Cleveland Clinic is not great but is patrolled. I am from the West side of Cleveland and the Cleveland Clinic is on the East side. If i were you I would take the job becaue the Clinic is such a great hospital. Cost of living is much cheaper here in Ohio than in other areas. I know people that live on the west side that work at the clinic but you might want to check out the east side just so you would be closer. MABCle will be on here soon to give you his advice he is a east sider so he can tell you more.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 AM

332 posts, read 2,251,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCenthusiasts View Post
Hi,

I was offered a job in Cleveland Clinic and I dont have a clue about Cleveland neighborhood, Cost of Living, etc......I am currently here in UK and will be moving soon should I decide to accept the offer; my questions are as follows:

1. I read from different sites that crime rate in Cleveland is high, justified?
2. Which part in Cleveland should I live if I will work at Cleveland clinic?
3. Cost of living - rent of apartment/house per month?
4. Safety issues - anything I need to consider before moving in?
5. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks..

Welcome!

If you could tell me what kind of neighborhood and housing type you are looking for or would like to live in I could help more. The areas closest to the Clinic aren't the best they are in the very beginings of a transition period from concentrated poverty to young professional areas. Cleveland Heights, Shaker Square are the nicest areas close to the Clinic assuming you'll be working at the main campus near University Circle.

Like Pinipeanut said the Clinic is a VERY good hospital. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Yac; 04-21-2007 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: link to another forum removed.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCle View Post
Welcome!

If you could tell me what kind of neighborhood and housing type you are looking for or would like to live in I could help more. The areas closest to the Clinic aren't the best they are in the very beginings of a transition period from concentrated poverty to young professional areas. Cleveland Heights, Shaker Square are the nicest areas close to the Clinic assuming you'll be working at the main campus near University Circle.

Like Pinipeanut said the Clinic is a VERY good hospital. Hope this helps.
Thanks Mabcle, the offer was for me to work in the Main Campus, and am looking for a neighborhood which is safe, and that is my priority. If the Central area is not safe, where the Clinic is situated, then I rather find a place somewhere in the west as I have the impression that the East is not that safe.....thanks again for the inputs.

Last edited by Yac; 04-21-2007 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: quote fixed

Old 04-19-2007, 11:53 AM

Alright! A future fellow west sider! Now we are talkin! I can help more with the west side. How old are you? are you single? does price make a difference? do you like to go out? I can tell you some places to look depending on what your answers are to these questions.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinipeanut View Post
Alright! A future fellow west sider! Now we are talkin! I can help more with the west side. How old are you? are you single? does price make a difference? do you like to go out? I can tell you some places to look depending on what your answers are to these questions.
hi there,

I just got the impression (based on the forums I read) that the east seems to be not on the safe side, thus, the option I have is west . . . I am 32 years old, no kids, RN by profession and will be moving with my husband in Cleveland should we accept the offer. I do love outdoors as well and love to travel and explore new places.....I dont even know the cost of living of the area, and I would appreciate if you could help me too...the offer given to me was $27 per hour and I dont have a clue if that is the appropriate wage for an 11 years experienced RN, nonetheless, I welcome all inputs and suggestions so I can come up with a solid yet sound decision to either accept the offer to me. We are of asian origin, currently here in UK and will be moving soon to US... Thanks again....

Old 04-19-2007, 02:27 PM

hi! $27 is a good deal I think, but I dont know about the pay rate for nurses. The east side by downtown (which is where the clinic is) is not good, but once you go farther it is nice. There are a lot of old victorian houses and a lot of history to it. On the west side I would have to say Middleburg Hts, Strongsville, Brooklyn, Lakewood, or West Park area of cleveland. The biggest problem is highway traffic. If you have a morning shift, traffic is a pain! You would take 71 from Middleburg Hts and Strongsville, 90 from Lakewood and West Park, and from Brooklyn you would take 480 to 176 to Downtown. Lakewood is more of a younger city. There are lots of bars and little antique shops on almost every corner. Strongsville is more of a higher class area. A little bit more expensive, same with Middleburg Hts in certain areas. Brooklyn is an older area, not really much to do there. West Park is right down the street from Lakewood, its more of an Irish community.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:51 PM

I pretty much co-sign what pinipeanut said, the immediate area around the clinic is not the best but areas just 2 miles away in Little Italy, Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights are and offer great parks and walkable neighborhoods.

Also, Do you drive alot where you live now? Moving to anyplace in America other than Manhattan in New York City you'll find Americans are very car dependent especilly in the suburbs.

Cleveland offers a few rail lines and a great bus system that could get you around. Is that a consideration or will you be driving?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 PM

hi mabcle and pinipeanut,

Thank you so much for sharing pieces of information. I am still currently in London, United Kingdom and should I accept the offer, I will be moving within 12 months time depending as to when the retrogression be lifted so Visas will be available once again. Commuting is not a problem and driving long distances is something I yet have to get used to probably when I get there, I am a little bit getting a picture as to how would it be then should I stay in areas that are a bit safe but yet, the downside is the traffic, on the other side, there are areas around 2 miles away like cleveland heights, shaker heights and little italy which I presumed the traffic is not that bad as compared to when you are coming from lakewood, west park, etc...I have browsed also urbanohio.com and it adds up to my limited information about Ohio in some ways, they are nice indeed and looking forward soon. How far is shaker heights, little italy and/or cleveland heights from the clinic? or should I say, how long will it take me to go there buy public transportation and/or driving by car? Thanks again.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:43 PM

Driving to Shaker Heights or Cleveland Heights takes between 5 and 15 minutes. During rush hour it could take Longer as Euclid Avenue the main road going thru University Circle where the Clinic is, has a huge construction project going on there that is adding a bus-rapid transit line, in addition University circle is the second largest employment center in Northeast Ohio so at times traffic can be bad, but not as bad as it can get in London and other huge cities across the globe. Heres a map showing the proximity of Cleveland Heights and Shaker to the Clinic:

As you can see Cleveland heights is closer and is actually about a mile away from the clinic while Shaker Heights is about 2 miles away. I'm not sure about the bus bus heres links to the routes of the community circulators that go thru the Heights and University circle

http://www.gcrta.org/pdf/821.pdf (broken link)

If you catch the train you would have to take the greenline then switch to the redline to get to University Circle. I'm not sure about the times, but on Urbanohio there's a guy that's a wiz with the bus schedules named KJP I actually think he comes to this site to. but if you start a thread over there or call I'm sure someone can help if noone on this board can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland