Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:12 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times

Advertisements

ajf131 is very wrong inside the city limits the Westside is bad but the Eastside is very bad. Ive been to The Eastside of the city and its at least 80 percent ghetto. The Eastside has very very bad areas and whole neighborhoods made up of public housing like Central. However the Eastern suburbs are a little bit nicer then the western ones. Most Eastern suburbs get around 60 inches of snowfall per year and Westside ones get 30-40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 06:50 PM

146 posts, read 789,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Most Eastern suburbs get around 60 inches of snowfall per year and Westside ones get 30-40.
You're correct that the eastern burbs get more snow than the western burbs, but your totals for both are too low. In western Cuyahoga County, the annual average is 50-60 inches. In eastern Cuyahoga County, the annual average is 70-80+ inches. Including the other counties in the Cleveland metro area (Lorain, Medina, Lake, Geauga), the average ranges from 45-105 inches per year, with Lorain County and the southwestern part of Medina County getting the least and Geauga County getting the most. This link has a map that depicts Ohio's average annual snowfall: Birmingham Project (http://www.birminghamproject.org/maps/map_14.htm - broken link).

Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
I live in Eastern Lorain County and it doesnt seem like we ever get that much snow. It usually doesnt start snowing until January and stops around the middle of March. we ususlly have about 2 big snowfalls with 6 or more inches in 2 or less days and then just a couple little ones and then its over which is only about 30 inches at the most. A couple years back i remember it hardly snowed at all and when it did it melted within 2 days. That year we probably had only 20 inches or less.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:20 PM

103 posts, read 676,165 times
I lived in Lakewood/West Park area of Cleveland before I moved to Texas in 1996. Rocky River Drive/Riverside Drive area is gorgeous! Not far from Lakewood and shopping...as well as the beautiful Cleveland Metroparks. I was actually in the Lakewood city limits...but, West Park was across the street from us (Seneca, Atkins, Fischer, Ogontz, McKinley area). Lakewood schools instead of Cleveland public schools.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:41 PM

146 posts, read 789,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
I live in Eastern Lorain County and it doesnt seem like we ever get that much snow. It usually doesnt start snowing until January and stops around the middle of March. we ususlly have about 2 big snowfalls with 6 or more inches in 2 or less days and then just a couple little ones and then its over which is only about 30 inches at the most. A couple years back i remember it hardly snowed at all and when it did it melted within 2 days. That year we probably had only 20 inches or less.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you might be experiencing selective memory. I realize that snowfall can vary widely in areas that are prone to lake-effect, but the totals you're indicating are just too far off from the official recorded totals to seem plausible. Here are the totals for the past five snowfall seasons at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, which is located in western Cuyahoga County - not the snow belt and not far from eastern Lorain County:

2006-07 - 76.5"
2005-06 - 50.6"
2004-05 - 117.9"
2003-04 - 91.2"
2002-03 - 95.7".

Also, I think your memory is definitely off about the snow usually not starting until January. Here are the snowfall totals at Hopkins for the past five Decembers:

2006 - 9.5"
2005 - 21.0"
2004 - 35.1"
2003 - 26.6"
2002 - 22.4".

The December average is 13.1". Some snow is typically seen in November as well; the November average is 5.1". The annual average is 63.3".

As for Lorain County, the annual average at Elyria is 44.2". The December average is 9.6" and the November average is 3.3".

All of the above data can be verified at the following links:

National Weather Service Climate

Snowfall Summary - 331657 CLEVELAND WSFO AP, OH

Snowfall Summary - 332599 ELYRIA 3 E, OH

Old 06-23-2007, 09:51 PM

43 posts, read 102,609 times
Beachwood-great schools, close to everything, lowest taxes
chagrin falls-really really cute-higher taxes, good schools
orange schools-my kid goes there half time-hate the principal
beachwood schools-excellent but kinda parochial

east side is more racially diverse
west side is tad less
south is whatever.
good restaurants and shopping is more east and west organized-less south but that is always changing.

everybody can find their niche
Cleveland Clinic is the evil giant if you are not the surgical specialty-so hope you are....

Old 06-30-2007, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 12,688 times
Try Lakewood! My fiance and I have lived in Lakewood for over 6 years and it is very nice. We live on a nice residential street just north of the business district, only a few blocks from the lake and the park. Our neighborhood is very comfortable and quiet, family-oriented and friendly. We rent, and our rent isn't terribly high. Homes here can be a bit expensive, but not prohibitively so, and while the taxes are considered somewhat high, the city services are worth it. (In other words, you get what you pay for.) Snowfall here is relatively minor for most of the winter, especially compared to other parts of Greater Cleveland. The schools are decent, from what I understand (not having kids ourselves) and there are plenty of things for kids to do outside of school hours, including summer recreation, etc. Downtown Cleveland is just a ten or fifteen minute drive away, and two main bus lines also run from Lakewood into downtown. The Clinic isn't all that far the other side of downtown, so your husband's commute would be relatively easy. If you haven't got your heart set on buying a house right away, your best bet is probably to rent an apartment for a year and "test-drive" any community you're thinking of living in to make sure that it's what you want.

Here is Lakewood's website: Welcome to Lakewood, Ohio

Old 07-03-2007, 11:50 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,124 times
Lakewood's the spot. Been here 10 years. I'm sad to be leaving this fall.

Check out the Lakewood Observer:

The Lakewood Observer

and their forum:

Lakewood Observer Observation Deck :: Index

Old 10-07-2007, 07:53 PM

61 posts, read 234,300 times
berea,olmstead,parma,euclid and cleveland heights.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 AM

20 posts, read 61,652 times
Look into Concord Township Ohio. Building a new hospital, also a few very nice subdivisions with beautiful houses
Moderator cut: link removed, advertising is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-14-2008 at 02:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: