Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:36 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,194,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
As the elders in my family used to say: “If you don’t have anything positive to say, … “ Funny how, after the OP raised the Q as to whether anyone regrets leaving Cleveland, we get a bunch of posters who just seemly just want to rag on the City. I'm not sure exactly what that means, other than the general relief I feel that those who are so negative on Cleveland have left. Good riddance.
For sure. Sounds like a case of "I left Cleveland so I have to bash it to justify my move." Especially lame on a thread meant to discuss the opposite.

I left the Cleveland area, but I never bash it when discussing reasons I moved. Then again, I didn't move because I thought Cleveland sucked. Most of the time I end up sticking up for C-town because of its less than stellar reputation and the fact people like the previous posters feel the need to bash it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,177 times
We had to move to northeastern PA and have hated it from the 2nd day!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,065,789 times
I don't know that I saw anyone trash Cleveland so much as they were honest about their feelings. Maybe a few people here are a bit oversensitive.

I moved to San Francisco because my wife got a job and I followed to find that the job market here blew Ohio's out of the water.

I just recently went back though and found that I missed it. If I come back, I plan to convert one of those downtown warehouses into a condo or purchase an existing. My biggest turn-off to the area is seeing all of the needless suburban sprawl that exists. It exists in most markets, but I find the northeast Ohio sprawl to truly be needless in the manner that it does exist.

I don't regret leaving at all though. You've gotta make money. I could see myself coming back in 20 years though.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,475,929 times
The sprawl is only needless because the schools in Cleveland blow nard.

As for the differences between Cleveland and Phoenix, I have lived in both (PHX for 10 months) so I am somewhat of an expert. Phoenix is a thousand times better, and the only thing Cleveland has on it is better traffic and some suburbs with no diversity. Other than that, I think PHX has CLE beat hands down, and this is coming from someone who loves Cleveland and Cleveland teams with all my soul.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,612,281 times
^^ I like some parts of PHX, others look like a 3rd world country (even when compared to Cleveland). I did love the area as I went to school in Tempe for a year in undergrad and have family in Scottsdale. I would certainly live in Scottsdale if it wasn't so expensive. IMO Cleveland has more character. There are some parts of PHX where I'd literally cry myself to sleep if I had to live there. But the good parts of PHX are probably better than Cleveland's.. (comparing apples to oranges). I'm certainly moving back West (where I'm from) in the future, but I'm looking at San Diego..

Old 08-16-2009, 08:07 AM

36 posts, read 113,591 times
I left cleveland 6 years ago and I should have done it 40 years sooner!!!!!! The ONLY regret I have leaving is that now I have 2 grand children living there.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:06 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,809,848 times
I moved to NYC and even tho i love it I do miss cleveland! My friend moved to Miami 2 years ago and he would ask me to send him pictures of snow and HATES miami

Old 08-17-2009, 09:39 AM

4,631 posts, read 4,925,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
The sprawl is only needless because the schools in Cleveland blow nard.

As for the differences between Cleveland and Phoenix, I have lived in both (PHX for 10 months) so I am somewhat of an expert. Phoenix is a thousand times better, and the only thing Cleveland has on it is better traffic and some suburbs with no diversity. Other than that, I think PHX has CLE beat hands down, and this is coming from someone who loves Cleveland and Cleveland teams with all my soul.
You don't love Cleveland "with all your soul" if the only thing you like about it is the relatively traffic-free roads and the fact that many of the suburbs are virtually all-white. Maybe you do, but it would mean your "soul" is severely stunted.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:36 PM

16,482 posts, read 19,520,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
, but I'm looking at San Diego..
and you think Tuscon is expensive?!?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 AM

69 posts, read 172,838 times
I've been in Cleveland for 10 years, and am currently in the process of moving to North Carolina (Durham/Chapel Hill area). So I guess I have a little bit different perspective - I know what I think I'll miss, and I know what I'm looking forward to in the new city.

What I will miss about Cleveland: Browns games (and Browns on TV), Great Lakes beer, Downtown (we don't go often, but there is a lot to do downtown when you want to), my favorite restaurants, family & friends, my familiarity with the area.

As for what I'm looking forward to in NC: warm winters, minimal snow, highway system (very clean & green compared to what we have here), proximity to outdoor activities I enjoy (ie ocean & mountains only a few hours away), less depressing nightly news

In a few months I'm sure there will be many more likes/dislikes that I haven't thought of or considered yet. I definitely think I'll like living in NC better than Cleveland based on my likes and dislikes...but I will absolutely miss it here and probably come back for a visit whenever I get the chance (as long as it's not snowing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland