Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 PM

7 posts, read 66,291 times

Advertisements

Here's one I didn't see mentioned at all, sort of regional...

The Brown Derby restaurant that used to sit out by Cleveland Hopkins Airport.

That whole area of Brookpark Road has been reconfugured and the original cross-street rerouted so one can't even tell anything was ever there. Used to be a fairly large bar right across the street if I'm not mistaken. Think the road was named Clifton?

I grew up around Holland Road in Brookpark and McBeth Avenue in Fairview Park in the 60s and early 1970s before mom moved us kids away. My heart will aways be in Cleveland tho and my favorite radio station will aways be WMMS, home of the Buzzard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 04:00 PM

103 posts, read 676,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiejane View Post
Any remember the big storm on July 4, 1969? I was only 7, but I think it traumatized me for life! I did some Googling and found the following page. I've never even heard of a derecho!

The Ohio Fireworks Derecho
I remember this storm!! I was just talking to somebody here in Texas about it...how it is probably one of the reasons I am so weary about storms.

I remember we were walking to Edgewater with my Great Aunt...and, she sensed something was wrong (I was just 5 yo)...she had us turn around and head back home. I don't remember much...but, I do remember her being frightened enough which made me even more scared.

Weird that I had just mentioned this, and then you mentioned it too!

Old 07-06-2007, 06:18 PM

131 posts, read 693,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikulec View Post
Darn, now I've got that Garfield1-2323 jingle playing in my head............argh!
Ok, remember the bald guy who owned Chevy dealers and blew kisses??? Was it "C. Miller???"

See the USA in a C. Miller Chevrolet!!! <smooch>

Old 07-06-2007, 06:34 PM

131 posts, read 693,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artcgal View Post
it is probably one of the reasons I am so weary about storms.
It's definitely an experience I've carried with me and a reason I was absolutely petrified of thunderstorms my entire childhood. I was 7 when the storm hit, and my family and I were in Akron to watch the Stan Hywet fireworks. We were still at my Godparents' house when the weather warnings came out. Mom decided we should head home (12 miles away) because my oldest sister was home alone.

The storm hit while we were enroute so there wasn't much warning. I'll never forget the WAKR announcer telling everyone to stay off the roads because there were downed power lines all over the place. The rain was coming down so hard we could barely see out the windshield. And the wind was amazing. I was sure the car was going to be blown off the road. And then to make matters worse, the WAKR announcer came on and said a tornado had hit Wadsworth in Valley View Park. (We lived on Valley View Dr.) I think I can honestly say I've never been as scared in my life as I was on that drive home. That night, the storm seemed non-stop, never letting up. Just when there was a break in the thunder and lightning, another wave would hit. I can remember crying and hiding under the covers in sheer fright for what seemed like all night.

Of course when school started in September, the big question was "Where were you on the 4th of July?" The girl with the best story had been camping. I can't even imagine.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM

July 4, 1969 - where were you:

My great grandfather was an attendant at one of the lakefront parks in Rocky River (had a large, old pavilion) so naturally we spent the day there. Sort of an unofficial family reunion. A yearly event. When the storm hit we made a run for my grandparent's Skylark, parked at the front of the lot, facing the lake. Needless to say we had a front row seat.

I chase and photograph storms now.

And yeah, oddly enough I can still remember C Miller. Man I miss those days sometimes. Other bits - went to Stan Hywit Hall on an elementary school field trip (didn't everyone), along with several trips aboard the Goodtime II which was always cut short due to blockage on the river and once even a flight aboard the Tin Goose to Put In Bay.

And I've still got my paper "Hough Bakery" bakers cap from that field trip.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiejane View Post
Any remember the big storm on July 4, 1969? I was only 7, but I think it traumatized me for life! I did some Googling and found the following page. I've never even heard of a derecho!

The Ohio Fireworks Derecho
Oh yeah...I was two (yes, I have memories from that time) and I was on top of a big slide at Enchanted Lake Park on Catawba Island west of Cleveland (long gone to make way for condos) with my parents when it hit. We were soaked by the time we got off the slide.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:49 PM

Someone mentioned Cleveland supermarkets. Grandma Z. always took me along whenever she went to the Pick n Pay. Now there's a name I've not heard for awhile.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:42 AM

103 posts, read 453,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Oh yeah...I was two (yes, I have memories from that time) and I was on top of a big slide at Enchanted Lake Park on Catawba Island west of Cleveland (long gone to make way for condos) with my parents when it hit. We were soaked by the time we got off the slide.
Too cool I'm on my way to Catawba July 27th!! Our family has been going for over years since our parents were children and it's one tradition we keep, all of us "kids" must come from wherever were living now (Alabama haha) to stay a week at the "Gem Beach" house on the lake. Thanks for the memories on here all....sure miss home and Lake Erie!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:12 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkx3 View Post
Too cool I'm on my way to Catawba July 27th!! Our family has been going for over years since our parents were children and it's one tradition we keep, all of us "kids" must come from wherever were living now (Alabama haha) to stay a week at the "Gem Beach" house on the lake. Thanks for the memories on here all....sure miss home and Lake Erie!
My mom still lives on Catawba and my daughter is up there now visiting. It is amazing how much Gem Beach has changed.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:16 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikulec View Post
Someone mentioned Cleveland supermarkets. Grandma Z. always took me along whenever she went to the Pick n Pay. Now there's a name I've not heard for awhile.
Wasn't it Pick n Pay where Frankie Yankovic got picked up for shoplifting? In Euclid, or am I remembering wrong? Who stole the kishka, indeed ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland