Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 12:42 AM

48 posts, read 163,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
8. Watching Severance Center be built.
For me, it was watching the Society Center being built...

I was attending Cleveland State at the time, and every day (as long as the wind wasn't kicking up off the lake during winter), I would walk from campus to Tower City and take the Rapid home...

I would take the long way home, literally walking a 360 around the construction site before I went over to Tower City...

I had my walkman on, and would wave at construction men high in the sky, who waved back...

We were all excited watching that skyscraper go up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugercaptain View Post
I'd have to say Dennis Kucinich was Cleveland's worst mayor. Didn't Cleveland go into default during his tenure in the late 1970's? "The Boy Mayor."
I agree....

And he is a horrid representative...

We need a representative who is putting her/his energy into revitalizing our city...

Instead, we have a representative who is fixated on impeaching Bush with our tax dollars, when he knows (and all the rest of us do, too) it will go nowhere...

All to make a point... I guess it's easy to try and make a point when you are spending someone else's money...

Old 08-03-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Hey .... lay off Dennis! He's a breath of fresh air in Congress (UFOs nothwithstanding).
In my opinion (respect your right to believe differently), we don't pay our representatives to spew air...

I have no fondness for a man who voted down military veteran's benefits, and within a month or so, voted to spend taxpayer dollars on the effects of genetically engineered corn on the migration of monarch butterflies...

Mind you, I am a wildlife lover, and have volunteered in the Metroparks...

But I don't think monarch butterflies should be a priority in his mind over our veterans...

Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Chris View Post
I was looking up Mr. Jingaling when I stumbled on this site.
I was googling the 4 July, 1969 storm when I stumbled on this site...

Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctown2VA View Post
-Our Gang Too (Anybody remember this restaurant in University Heights?)
My mother used to take me there after every dance class at Morganstern's Dance Studio...

Dave Morganstern was Cleveland's Fred Astaire... Could that man dance!

His lovely wife, Shirley, was also phenomenal...

Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
Yes, all those things are making me homesick. My Mom & Dad just ate at Arthur Treachers last night. But, DH & I call it Armed Creatures. LOL The stupid names people come up w/ that stick.
When I was young, and Eddie Money's song, "Two Tickets to Paradise" was a hit, one of our friends would sing it as, "Two Tickets to Parma Hts."...

I was reminded of that when I was signing all the paperwork to close on my house... I happened to be at the notary in Eastern PA, where I was living at the time, and that song started playing over the speakers as I was signing my life away...

The funny part about it is I was signing papers for a home in Parma Hts.!

Old 08-03-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
And, how about "Diney's" that was on West 117th and had carhops also and delicious burgers.
Oh! You just reminded me of The Blue Fox on 117th and Clifton!

Never ate there, just remember my father driving us past the place for some reason or another, and recall either my mother or father saying that's where the Mafia liked to hang out...

Now it's a CVS....

Old 08-03-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Some memories I have about Cleveland...

Jammin 92.3 (pop music station, up until about 2000), then I think it changed from 104.9, and now its 96.5

107.9 also didnt used to be a rap station until recently.
My first radio station was WIXY 1260!

I remember their top 40 countown, and I remember trying to tape the countdown off the radio onto the portable cassette recorder!

Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollybumps View Post
Higbee's Silver Grill had a special lunch they served children. They brought out a little cardboard stove for each child. There were two little pots on the burners...one had mashed potatoes and one had peas & carrots in it. When you opened the little oven door you would find a child size meatloaf in a small pan.
That had to be the late 1950s & early 1960s. My grandma took me there every year on my birthday. We rode the Rapid Transit all the way downtown.
We have the same memory of those little cardboard ovens!

Give the cardboard ovens until the mid-60's at least... My mother wouldn't have taken us downtown for Christmas at least until I was five, and I was born in '62...

Old 08-03-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I remember how we all thought it was so hip to sneer at Cleveland. We were always putting it down, always saying something snide. Everyone said they couldn't wait to get out of there. In 1974, we moved to Florida... and I just assumed everyone else I knew moved away the moment they graduated from high school.

About ten years ago, I went to my 20th high school reunion. To my amazement several of the kids who couldn't wait to get out of Cleveland had moved back! There were at least 20 or 30 with the same story... and I distinctly remember them making snide putdowns relentlessly. Make of theat what you will--but I thought it was interesting.
Ah! With age comes wisdom...

It took some of us years to learn what that little girl in the ruby slippers knew....

"There's no place like home!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland