Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 08:37 AM

31 posts, read 191,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantlibrarian View Post
Don't try to buy the Silver Grille Cookbook at Amazon. They claim its out of print and the bookstores that have it are asking outrageous prices. Instead, google the title, "silver grille cookbook" and you'll get to the publisher's website, a few links down. The publisher's online site still has the book at a reasonable price.

If this doesn't work, I'll check back on this board and come up with some better suggestions. I'll even type out the muffin recipie.

Constantlibrarian
Thank you so much. I'd really like to buy 2 copies at least. I'd appreciate any help to get the book at a reasonable price. I saw the OUTRAGEOUS prices online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 31,237 times
Default Something that Clevelanders seem to forget.

One of the reason I left, the Police and National Guard should have let the blacks burn the city right to the ground...everyone would have been better off today...I remember returning to Cleveland in 1986 (the one and only time I ever went back after leaving) on vacation and the first black family was moving into the old neighborhood...Eastlake...and the people were up in arms..from some of the comments I read in here racism and bigotry still exist, and will never go away.

Riots:

On July 18, 1966, at dusk, someone posted a sign outside the 79'ers bar, situated on the southeast corner of E.79th Street and Hough Avenue. The sign read, "No Water For ******s". Adding to the volatility of the situation, the bar manager and a hired hand, both white, patrolled the front of the bar, armed with shotguns[1]. An African American woman described as a "prostitute" was seeking money for charity. An altercation occurred and she was told to leave.[citation needed] Later, an African American man entered the building and bought a bottle of wine. When he asked for a glass of water, he was told that blacks were not being served[2].
Soon after, a crowd of about 50 people gathered outside. The Cleveland Police Department arrived, in force, to defuse the situation. The presence of the CPD only intensified the crowd's anger[1]. As angry crowds gathered over a 23-block area, chants of "Black Power" were followed by the throwing of rocks and Molotov cocktails[citation needed], bringing more than 300 police and firemen.
Racial tension was high between Cleveland's police and African American community. The arrival of police precipitated gunfire, as well as brick-throwing by angry residents. The police shot out some street lights and asked drivers to turn off their car lights to limit possible targets by snipers.
Joyce Arnett, a black 26-year-old mother of three, was shot dead when she called from a window, as she was trying to get permission to go home and check on her children[1].
The next day, Ohio governor James A. Rhodes activated 1,600 local members of the National Guard, but they did not arrive in Cleveland until 11:00 p.m. The Hough area became quiet after the troops were deployed. An attempt by Cleveland mayor Ralph S. Locher to limit potential violence by closing local bars and taverns at 6:00 p.m. did not succeed. Arsonists attacked abandoned houses and commercial buildings.
Percy Giles, a black 38-year-old divorced father of two, became the second victim of the violence. He was shot and killed while on his way to help a friend protect his business. In all, 77 people were arrested that night. Fire alarms kept firemen busy through the night.
On the third night of violence, the heavy presence of police and guardsmen helped push the rioting to the southern and northeastern parts of the area. Five people were wounded, including a woman and her two young children.
On the fourth night, Sam Winchester, a 54-year-old black man, was killed while walking to a bus stop. While he lay dying, Winchester told police that he had been shot by whites who targeted him from a passing vehicle.
As the uprising was winding down, rumors fostered tension in the Mayfield Road-Murray Hill section, known locally as "Little Italy". Though the section was located some 40 city blocks from the Hough epicenter and already covered by heavy National Guard patrols, Little Italy's residents had armed themselves and organized a system of patrols. Fears were projected in rumors. There was a rumor of a "sniper" on a roof just outside the neighborhood. When two youths injured themselves by accidentally firing a shotgun, it was reported as "two white boys shot by Negroes".
A trio of white men shot 29-year-old Benoris Toney, a black man sitting in his car in a nearby Euclid Avenue lumber yard. During the ensuing investigation and trial, triggerman Warren LaRiche claimed that Toney had pointed a gun at them. LaRiche was acquitted of murder charges by an all-white jury on the grounds of self-defense.
Heavy rains on July 24th helped put an end to the violence. It did nothing to end the animosity between area residents and police. In addition, during the most heated moments of the uprising, Cleveland Chief of Police Richard Wagner had claimed that countless bombs had been built by a Hough area group. Mayor Locher did not support the claim.
During the riots, police and city administrators believed they noticed an increasing level of organization. Police Chief Richard Wagner stated that the rioting of the third night "definitely seemed more organized than the last two nights." In the later stages of the riot, police were ordered to record out-of-state license numbers to try to identify outside agitators.[2]

Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
That must have been crazy for the people who were actually there and witnessed it. What happened in Cincinnati and Toledo recently was nothing compared to that riot.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:39 PM

9 posts, read 57,157 times
Default Fire house

79) worked there. Through him we met a bunch of kids from Euclid.

Too bad to hear the comments on Mario Fazio's pizza. I have a friend from college that grew up on Stark Drive (the restaurant is on the corner).
Also next door to Mario Fazio's is the Firehouse. Didn't it used to be Marinko's?

Yes, Fred Marinko opened the place, and has since sold it. I remember when the Wright Place was just a little dive called the Colony. Last time I was there, you couldn't get in the door!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy62 View Post
One of the reason I left, the Police and National Guard should have let the blacks burn the city right to the ground...everyone would have been better off today...I remember returning to Cleveland in 1986 (the one and only time I ever went back after leaving) on vacation and the first black family was moving into the old neighborhood...Eastlake...and the people were up in arms..from some of the comments I read in here racism and bigotry still exist, and will never go away.

Riots:

On July 18, 1966, at dusk, someone posted a sign outside the 79'ers bar, situated on the southeast corner of E.79th Street and Hough Avenue. The sign read, "No Water For ******s". Adding to the volatility of the situation, the bar manager and a hired hand, both white, patrolled the front of the bar, armed with shotguns[1]. An African American woman described as a "prostitute" was seeking money for charity. An altercation occurred and she was told to leave.[citation needed] Later, an African American man entered the building and bought a bottle of wine. When he asked for a glass of water, he was told that blacks were not being served[2].
Soon after, a crowd of about 50 people gathered outside. The Cleveland Police Department arrived, in force, to defuse the situation. The presence of the CPD only intensified the crowd's anger[1]. As angry crowds gathered over a 23-block area, chants of "Black Power" were followed by the throwing of rocks and Molotov cocktails[citation needed], bringing more than 300 police and firemen.
Racial tension was high between Cleveland's police and African American community. The arrival of police precipitated gunfire, as well as brick-throwing by angry residents. The police shot out some street lights and asked drivers to turn off their car lights to limit possible targets by snipers.
Joyce Arnett, a black 26-year-old mother of three, was shot dead when she called from a window, as she was trying to get permission to go home and check on her children[1].
The next day, Ohio governor James A. Rhodes activated 1,600 local members of the National Guard, but they did not arrive in Cleveland until 11:00 p.m. The Hough area became quiet after the troops were deployed. An attempt by Cleveland mayor Ralph S. Locher to limit potential violence by closing local bars and taverns at 6:00 p.m. did not succeed. Arsonists attacked abandoned houses and commercial buildings.
Percy Giles, a black 38-year-old divorced father of two, became the second victim of the violence. He was shot and killed while on his way to help a friend protect his business. In all, 77 people were arrested that night. Fire alarms kept firemen busy through the night.
On the third night of violence, the heavy presence of police and guardsmen helped push the rioting to the southern and northeastern parts of the area. Five people were wounded, including a woman and her two young children.
On the fourth night, Sam Winchester, a 54-year-old black man, was killed while walking to a bus stop. While he lay dying, Winchester told police that he had been shot by whites who targeted him from a passing vehicle.
As the uprising was winding down, rumors fostered tension in the Mayfield Road-Murray Hill section, known locally as "Little Italy". Though the section was located some 40 city blocks from the Hough epicenter and already covered by heavy National Guard patrols, Little Italy's residents had armed themselves and organized a system of patrols. Fears were projected in rumors. There was a rumor of a "sniper" on a roof just outside the neighborhood. When two youths injured themselves by accidentally firing a shotgun, it was reported as "two white boys shot by Negroes".
A trio of white men shot 29-year-old Benoris Toney, a black man sitting in his car in a nearby Euclid Avenue lumber yard. During the ensuing investigation and trial, triggerman Warren LaRiche claimed that Toney had pointed a gun at them. LaRiche was acquitted of murder charges by an all-white jury on the grounds of self-defense.
Heavy rains on July 24th helped put an end to the violence. It did nothing to end the animosity between area residents and police. In addition, during the most heated moments of the uprising, Cleveland Chief of Police Richard Wagner had claimed that countless bombs had been built by a Hough area group. Mayor Locher did not support the claim.
During the riots, police and city administrators believed they noticed an increasing level of organization. Police Chief Richard Wagner stated that the rioting of the third night "definitely seemed more organized than the last two nights." In the later stages of the riot, police were ordered to record out-of-state license numbers to try to identify outside agitators.[2]
Yes, that was indeed a terrible time for Cleveland. Although during the 60s there were SO MANY issues. The Viet Nam protestors, Drugs, Assassinations, the so called 'Hippie Movement', Women's Liberation, the Threat of War with Russia, the mess in Cuba and later the Kent State Shootings. The 60s hit America like a tidal wave and threw us all in situations we never could have imagined. Most people didn't know how to deal with it.
My point is...it wasn't just Cleveland....it was happening all over the country, and many cities had terrible riots and violence...some even worse than Cleveland.
I would like to think it's 'behind us', but it never will be as long as people hold a grudge.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:06 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollybumps View Post
Yes, that was indeed a terrible time for Cleveland. Although during the 60s there were SO MANY issues. The Viet Nam protestors, Drugs, Assassinations, the so called 'Hippie Movement', Women's Liberation, the Threat of War with Russia, the mess in Cuba and later the Kent State Shootings. The 60s hit America like a tidal wave and threw us all in situations we never could have imagined. Most people didn't know how to deal with it.
My point is...it wasn't just Cleveland....it was happening all over the country, and many cities had terrible riots and violence...some even worse than Cleveland.
I would like to think it's 'behind us', but it never will be as long as people hold a grudge.
Thats correct. It definitely wasnt just Cleveland, most of the country was dealing with issues (not that I remember I was born in the 80s). Also, most if not all of the major cities in America with sizable black populations had at least some degree of a riot, places like Detroit, Cleveland, Newark, Chicago, LA and many other cities had real bad riots. Cleveland actually had more than 1 though, there was of course the Hough riots which was the worst but the "Glenville shootout" was bad and there were several smaller ones. Even Elyria had a riot on the southside in the 70s,

Old 09-04-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtlandoh View Post
Who can forget the York Steak House? When Euclid Square Mall was thriving, York Steak House was part of it. A friend from high school (Wickliffe 79) worked there. Through him we met a bunch of kids from Euclid.

Too bad to hear the comments on Mario Fazio's pizza. I have a friend from college that grew up on Stark Drive (the restaurant is on the corner). He addressed Mrs. Fazio by name and she was very nice to him. I remember being disappointed when the menu changed, but our family came to enjoy the new one. The crab cakes are excellent. Our kids especially enjoyed the gelato for dessert.

Also next door to Mario Fazio's is the Firehouse. Didn't it used to be Marinko's?

Speaking of Arthur Treachers, isn't there one on Wilson Mills in the plaza across from Richmond Mall?

Nelsons Ledges is also a ton of fun. Have had some good experiences there over the years, both family and otherwise!

Regrettably, our family recently moved to the East coast. While its nice here, don't sell Cleveland short.
KIRTLANDOH.....I'm thinking surely you're from Kirtland. My sister still lives there and a cousin also. Hemlock Ridge and Gildersleeve (off Eagle Rd)....do you know where that is?
How about Old South Church on RT306...is it still there?
How long have you lived in Kirtland? Do you remember TUBBY'S beer joint...that was years ago and I think the Mormons have purchased all that property.
What about the Chainsaw Massacre...my sister heard the chainsaws that night, but really didn't think it was anything to be concerned about. HOW AWEFUL!

Old 09-04-2008, 03:25 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,456 times
Sadly no more Sea World ,

Old 09-04-2008, 03:43 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,456 times
Short and sweet , No More Sea World , had to do with Big Corporation buying Geauga Lake , Turning it
into 6 Flags ? Which has many parks around the nation , It SUCKED , It was never Geauga Lake , (LIKE)
Gone were the family friendly picnic areas , where one could make the family trip a little family friendly,
on the budget. Just killed the whole area, There for , those who remember ,families would plan
days for Geauga Lake and Sea World , within the same week, Attentance droped at both parks.
Many things happenning downtown , many condo's , rental apts, 46 years here , never saw people
walking thier pets along downtown city streets but I can say I do today, Gallarie still there , depends on your idea of high end places to shop,
Constuction is moving along for Condo's In the Building known as The Park Building.
Next to the old MAy Company Building ( Right on Public Square ) how great is That ! The City is becoming the Place to be , Thanks to the youth who have stayed , or came back home, Then there is
Tremont , the old " South Side " I guess if u look you will find something here that u would like. The Westside Market , 25th Street has had many Street Scape inprovements , Out door dining , is available with , many of the resturants & and or pubs ( Damn it it's Cleveland I mean bars , HAHA)

Last edited by citydudeallover; 09-04-2008 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: to short

Old 09-04-2008, 05:46 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydudeallover View Post
Short and sweet , No More Sea World , had to do with Big Corporation buying Geauga Lake , Turning it
into 6 Flags ? Which has many parks around the nation , It SUCKED , It was never Geauga Lake , (LIKE)
Gone were the family friendly picnic areas , where one could make the family trip a little family friendly,
on the budget. Just killed the whole area, There for , those who remember ,families would plan
days for Geauga Lake and Sea World , within the same week, Attentance droped at both parks.
Yeah, I remember when many companies had their picnics at Geauga Lake, and you could always tag along with friends and get in for free. They had that big picnic pavilion area where you could have the picnic lunch, go ride some rides, then come back for dessert. I have lots of great memories of Geauga Lake - I feel horrible that they ran it into the ground and I won't be able to take my kids there. I remember the kiddie car rides where the cars just went round and around in a circle, but I thought it was so cool to ride in the metallic blue car and turn that space age looking steering wheel. Cedar Point is great, but Geauga Lake was so close to home and did have that "homey" feel to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland