Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 07:41 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Ah yes I do remember them...they were darned good!
I used to eat at the Red Barn in Mentor when I was a kid. The building is still on Mentor Avenue - you can still see the outline of the barn shape, but it is now the home of Arrowhead Music. Prior to that it was some type of office supply store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:06 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I used to eat at the Red Barn in Mentor when I was a kid. The building is still on Mentor Avenue - you can still see the outline of the barn shape, but it is now the home of Arrowhead Music. Prior to that it was some type of office supply store.
I don't remember that place, mighta' been b4 my time. Do you remember Mentor Lunch tho? Gawd that place was a dive! LOL. We went there when I was really little a few times.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,135 times
i came across this thread while searching for something in mentor headlands. i know this is a really old thread, but i was curious to see if anyone remembers or knows about the mentor deer park, or the abandoned neighborhood off corduroy rd that fell into the lake? we used to play in all those empty houses that were hanging off the cliff over the lake. access at both ends of the original corduroy road had been blocked for years, so you had to go through the woods to find this neighborhood.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:13 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donp68 View Post
i came across this thread while searching for something in mentor headlands. i know this is a really old thread, but i was curious to see if anyone remembers or knows about the mentor deer park, or the abandoned neighborhood off corduroy rd that fell into the lake? we used to play in all those empty houses that were hanging off the cliff over the lake. access at both ends of the original corduroy road had been blocked for years, so you had to go through the woods to find this neighborhood.
Yeah, this thread just keeps going. Just when I think it has gone away, I check back and people are still posting, over 2 years later. I don't remember ever hearing about the abandoned neighborhood. I have a friend who grew up in the Headlands and still goes back every year. I'll have to ask him about it.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,135 times
the neighborhood, if still there, was the old original corduroy road. if you went up garden (i think) til it ends at the lake then turn left, it was where corduroy used to run along the lake. it now has a big guard rail where the road washed away and fell into the lake. this road went quite a ways down the lake with about 15 houses on it, then it made a sharp left and came out where noziks marina is. i think al nozik is gone and the marina changed hands, and i don't know what it is called now. but anyway, if you were entering the marina from lakeshore blvd, as you come down the driveway it makes a sharp left in front of a big blue building. this building is built right where corduroy road came out. go behind the building and there is an opening in the trees where the road used to be. follow it north towards the lake and there is a little side street that goes off to your left. at the end of this old street is a big set of gates with an old brass sign that reads mentor deer park.
story behind this place is that a guy built it to raise deer he imported from china. the wrought iron fence he put in is only 8 feet tall. these deer were capable of jumping 12 feet. so most escaped and bred with our local deer. when you see deer with red color in their fur, they are most likely offspring of the chinese deer that were imported here back in the 30's or so.
when i was a kid, we used to play in all the houses back there. some were still completely furnished. the street lights would still come on at night. that was nearly 30 years ago, so i wonder whats left there now, if anything. i wish i would have taken that old brass sign from that set of gates. probably a really cool piece of pretty unknown mentor history there. i've only met two other people in all the years i've asked who knew about or remembered this place.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:45 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Red Barn - Buckeye Ave
Judge Roy Beans - Bedford
D&M Ice Cream - Woodland Ave

Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 AM

21 posts, read 69,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
The "Big Barney" burger, from the Red Barn Restaurant on West 117th, just south of Lorain Ave.
We used to get them from the Red Barn on W.98th and Detroit.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:52 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Yeah, this thread just keeps going. Just when I think it has gone away, I check back and people are still posting, over 2 years later.
You know, the resiliency of this thread is a lot like the resiliency of Cleveland. Just when you think it has nothing more to it, it bounces back to life.

I love this thread, it's probably one of my favorite threads in all of city-data. It isn't just the nostalgia factor, but the fact that it celebrates the little details that make Cleveland a special place. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the big issues and the dramatic issues. But hearing about little details like Red Barn or radio shows or putting a mickey mouse face on a high school clock are what define a city, too.

I really liked living in Cleveland, it's too bad people use it as a punching bag without actually checking it out. Cleveland has a lot going for it.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
There was a movie called "The Fortune Cookie" that was filmed partially in Cleveland. It starred Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. The Shaker Heights High band was asked to play outside one of the theater where they showed the premier.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:28 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You know, the resiliency of this thread is a lot like the resiliency of Cleveland. Just when you think it has nothing more to it, it bounces back to life.

I love this thread, it's probably one of my favorite threads in all of city-data. It isn't just the nostalgia factor, but the fact that it celebrates the little details that make Cleveland a special place. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the big issues and the dramatic issues. But hearing about little details like Red Barn or radio shows or putting a mickey mouse face on a high school clock are what define a city, too.

I really liked living in Cleveland, it's too bad people use it as a punching bag without actually checking it out. Cleveland has a lot going for it.
Nice post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland