Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 02:53 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times

Advertisements

Probably only a Clevelander would remember this line from The West Wing:

The West Wing - CJ's Chk Chk Boom - YouTube

Oh me-o, oh my-oh, oh Cleveland Ohio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
The University School (US) vs Shaker hockey games. US teams didn't really have much of a fanbase, but those games were basically the World Series every year.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durhamlou View Post
remember Shoregate Lanes ? I was just thinkking about the Kenny King on Lakeshore Blvd because I am looking for a recipe that could duplicate the onion rings they had. Those were the the best thing thay had on the menu.

Went to Shoregate school. We lived at 'the old' Fairway and West Willowick Dr

Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,454 times
It's called "Swings & Things" It's still there but the rides are gone. It has batting cages, put put, go carts & paintball. There are video games inside.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
I LOVED Swings & Things; that brings back memories.

Pioneer Waterland was somewhere we'd go during camp - god did I have fun there.

Every year at Hawken Day (or was it Sports?) camp we'd watch Flight of the Navigator. Tell me someone on this board remembers that. And there was a kind of...carnival before camp ended for the summer. By the parking lot, I think.

Playing softball with the Beachwood kids even though I was a Lyndhurst resident. Also weekly AZA meetings at the JCC. Also sneaking into the JCC in high school because I had a friend there, and they had no security really (try that today - 9/11 + the Seattle shootings really changed their entrance procedures)

Walking with my mom at Randal Mall. Going with my entire family to Tower City during Christmas Eve/Day (or was it New Years Eve/Day?). Playing arcade games in the the empty Richmond Mall. Waiting at Severance Mall for my dad to finish work (he worked at the medical building).

Meeting my cousin's collegues at the Elyria flea market and walking around the different kiosks/shops. It was ALWAYS blazing hot.

Going to the Cosmopolitan (the Cos) and being as dorky there as I was at school dances.

Losing yet ANOTHER rabbi at Fairmount Temple to scandal; despite the upheaval, Canter Seger was and is ALWAYS there helping us transition. The woman is a true saint. A beacon of stability. I believe her daughter is now a rabbi too.

Going to Hooters with my friend's family in the Flats and being excited about being downtown, especially since I was aware it was like Bourbon street there and eventually I'd be able to go clubbing there someday).

Reading comic books at the South Euclid library. Bowling at Cedar Center. Playing video games at the bowling alley in Eastgate. Spending time with my dad at MicroCenter in Eastgate and CompuServ in the Pavillion and just being immersed in all the hardware and software. My dad and I spent HOURS at these places each time; this is pre-Internet, pre-Apple dominance. Oh, and speaking of the Pavillion, does anybody here remember when they had trick-or-treating in the mall? God that was always fun.

Walking by Mr. Cards and Comics on Friday nights where a bunch of very poorly hygenic Magic card gamers would take over.

TGIF and Denny's late with my friends; hey, there weren't many late night places.

Reading at the Barnes & Noble in Mayfield Hts (now Boneyard).

Shopping with my grandparents at Heinen's in University Hts. I still go there for wine tastings with my dad when I'm in town.

Being proud of Cleveland being the COUNTRY's comeback city. God there was such excitement and momentum in the 90s.

God... I could go on all day. One more - watching WWF events, the Lumberjacks, and the Crunch at the Richfield Colosseum (never was big on the Cavs).

Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,393 times
I remember Boukaires!!!! What a special treat it was to go there!!! Their ice cream presentation was fabulous!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM

127 posts, read 333,485 times
Alan DePetro. He was a reporter for WEWS TV5 in the 70s through some of the 90s. His reports often involved elements of Cleveland history. As I remember it, he also appeared in short news segments oriented toward children called Snippets that aired on WKBF Channel 61 in the 70s.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 PM

8 posts, read 15,290 times
38 years old grew up bainbridge. I loved the east bank of the flats in the late 90's early 2000's. Whenever I see the bulldozed rubble today I still think of the Basement and 80's music like Come On Eileen. After a long night partying in the flats, nothing beat a Panini's sandwich at 2 am.

People my age could not get enough of the tribe..."Joey" belle, Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Omar Vizquel, Kenny Lofton, Carlos Baerga, Paul Shuey, Roberto Alomar, Juan "gone" Gonzalez, Eddie Murray, Jose Effing Mesa, orel hershizer, Dave Burba, Charle Nagy, ...et al. Ive had a few beers tonight and cant think of others. I will never get over the fact that this group never won a world series. Just unFu@$!ngbelievable..

The tantalizing misery of Cleveland sports in general. The Bernie Kosar era browns (just missed Brian Sipe and the Cardiac Kids). I absolutely idolized the Mark Price, Daugherty, Nance, Harper, Ehlo, Hot Rod Williams, etc era cavs. As an emotionally constipated teen the only things I cried about over that decade were the Cavs and the Browns. During the '80s the Pat Tabler Andre Thornton Indians were irrelevant.

I think the Force was really good then but...who cares about soccer in Cleveland.

Besides sports my life in the summer consisted of swimming at Tanglewood lake and Lake Lucerne. Unlimited summer passes to Sea World and Shamu and Geauga Lake amusement park.

Im married with kids today living on the west side. My wife and I always talk about relocating to Florida for the lifestyle and winters but...there is just something about this damn city...I love it and leaving would be very hard!

Cheers and absolutely loved this thread!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Everybody sing along to the Cotton Club jingle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S24mbmcyo3M

Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 PM

127 posts, read 333,485 times
That cotton club music seems to defy classification. It sounds like a melding of New Orleans riverboat music and Cleveland polka music with a dash of Lawrence Welk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland