Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 AM

50 posts, read 169,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm sure it's some outdated ordinance left over from the farming era.
I don't know anything about the case of Seven Hills, but in general, contrary to being legacy holdovers, ordinances to allow urban or suburban chickens (and sometimes other small livestock) are something of a trend, *especially* in comparatively affluent and progressive cities (New York, San Francisco, Atlanta, Seattle, etc. have all done this). Locally, Cleveland recently allowed keeping of chickens and beehives, and Lakewood considered it but dropped the proposal. It is part of the urban-agriculture and "locavore," movement.

Last edited by CALarrick; 09-30-2009 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Of course they did. It makes sense to allow people to produce their own food, especially when what is being farmed is absolutely harmless. Also, so few people will do it that it becoming any sort of a nuisance is highly improbable. My Grandfather kept a coop of 2-3 dozen hens for decades. He never heard the neighbors complain about the farm fresh eggs or the smell. The secret? Be decent and use pulverized limestone.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:00 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Of course they did. It makes sense to allow people to produce their own food, especially when what is being farmed is absolutely harmless. Also, so few people will do it that it becoming any sort of a nuisance is highly improbable. My Grandfather kept a coop of 2-3 dozen hens for decades. He never heard the neighbors complain about the farm fresh eggs or the smell. The secret? Be decent and use pulverized limestone.
Now that's fresh eggs!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:38 PM

256 posts, read 736,133 times
Is Seven Hills regarded as an upscale community?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:52 AM

It depends on what you consider upscale. Is it Moreland Hills or Gates Mills? No. It isn't Brookpark either. It's a good mix of working to upper-middle class families living in houses that vary from modest bungalows to oppulent McMansions. The taxes are moderate and the crime and poverty rates are very low. There is much room for improvement, but there are a lot of worse places to live. IMO, it is not upscale. It's a solid, conveniently located, middle-class suburb.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,747 times
Soap Box Time!!!

Typically petulant, stick up the butt, NE Ohioans ( I can say that, 44+ years here...one away...now back, a perspective thing)...under 10 chickens penned...keeping out the roosters, it will go unnoticed...but it has to be maintained. Cholesterol ladened eggs be damned!!

A once rural area, I knew folks who grew up in VII Hills in the 60's-70's, you now loathe each other in close proximity in VII Hills.

You folks have your nasty down to how the neighbor mows their lawn!!! I Laugh!

I am sure that there are folks that lament the old days, as I do growing up in Medina Township, when white flight Cleveland prigs moved in, and everything bugged them, including the farmer on his tractor that got in the way on the yuppies way home in his BMW, to a dinner that went thankless to the "hick" he passed on the highway that brought the bounty to the dinner table.

Maybe a little E-Coli is justice...

Any Q's?

Didn't think so...

Last edited by newmex; 10-02-2009 at 07:25 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Soap Box Time!!!

Typically petulant, stick up the butt, NE Ohioans ( I can say that, 44+ years here...one away...now back, a perspective thing)...under 10 chickens penned...keeping out the roosters, it will go unnoticed...but it has to be maintained. Cholesterol ladened eggs be damned!!

A once rural area, I knew folks who grew up in VII Hills in the 60's-70's, you now loathe each other in close proximity in VII Hills.

You folks have your nasty down to how the neighbor mows their lawn!!! I Laugh!

I am sure that there are folks that lament the old days, as I do growing up in Medina Township, when white flight Cleveland prigs moved in, and everything bugged them, including the farmer on his tractor that got in the way on the yuppies way home in his BMW, to a dinner that went thankless to the "hick" he passed on the highway that brought the bounty to the dinner table.

Maybe a little E-Coli is justice...

Any Q's?

Didn't think so...
Basically, you want to live somewhere that never gets so big that it incorporates. Still, they say Whites (baby boomers and I guess their kids too when they can) are going to flee out to the countryside. Of course, a lot of people are just leaving the area entirely, but still, I think P.D. said, 2/3rds who left Cuyahoga County stayed in Ohio.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:11 PM

Way to generalize, newmex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland