Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,287 times

Advertisements

I'm 19 and I have lived on the westside of Cleveland my whole like (first North Olmsted and now Rocky River). In about a year my boyfriend is graduating from CSU and I'm planning on transferring to Ursuline University in Pepper Pike, we're planning on getting an apartment/town home of some sort and moving in together.

I'm kind of deathly afraid of the east side of cleveland, thanks to my my Grandpa who was a sargent in Cleveland and my mother always warning me with all these stories. Basically where I live now, I can go into any neighboring/bordering subburb and be completely safe so to speak, there really are no bad area over here, just some crappy aprtment complexes you know some section eight housing in some scattered apartments.
So my question is, what's a nice safe area that's similarly placed out this way? Anything I should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 12:43 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
The east-west divide is alive and well, I see.
There is nothing wrong with the East side of our county. In fact, most of the coolest stuff is over there.
You can't go wrong with any suburb over there.
Beachwood, Orange, Hunting Valley, Moreland Hills, Gates Mills, Mayfield Heights... really isn't a bad suburb anywhere near there....

Old 09-28-2009, 11:18 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Alive and well indeed! Jeez! I guess the west side just has no crime whatsoever!

The East Side suburbs are far more interesting and diverse than the mall-o-matic West Side. I live on the South Side. 9/10 times, I'm going north or east to do what I want to do. This isn't to say that the West Side is bad, it's just not as great as the average west-sider thinks it is.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:22 AM

49 posts, read 170,607 times
I'm like you - I like to live in a nice area, surrounded by nice, safe areas. I definitely don't want to live in the border!

The NE is not good - obviously East Cleveland is bad. To a lesser extent, so is Wickliffe, Euclid and the surrounding areas.

I'd also stay away from Garfield Heights, Maple Heights, Bedford, Oakwood, Cleveland Heights, South Euclid. Parts of Shaker are nicer, but if you are looking for that super safe feeling, you won't find it.

I currently live in Mayfield and I like it here - maybe the neighborhood has declined a bit in recent years (I see more cops patrolling these days), but there are several big apartment complexes (Gates Mills/Coppertree/ Hamilton House) that are pretty safe. You might be able to rent a small house for the same price as an apt. Stay away from Marsol, it's a little sketchier than the rest. It feels fairly safe and if I have to go out to my car at 3am, I don't worry about it.

Pepper Pike, Gates Mills, Moreland Hills, Orange are all very safe, very upscale areas but they don't have many apartments for rent.

Solon & Twinsburg are very safe, near lots of shopping. Solon has a little petty theft but not too much other crime as far as I can tell. I feel safe in Solon.

Beachwood is great, very safe, but the apartments tend to be more expensive.

University Heights has some nice apartments. You might be able to rent an apt in a house as do lots of JCU students. Feels fairly safe to me, some crime but more so petty stuff like retail theft. Lots of young professionals and students at Case, JCU, etc.

So basically, stay away from the more inner ring suburbs (Shaker, Cleveland Hts, S Euclid, Maple Hts, Garfield Hts) and you should be fine.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Lots of students (CWRU and JCU) live in the inner-ring suburbs of Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights. Most areas are safe, don't be deterred by what you read on hear, check out these neighborhoods for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland