Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 19,048 times

Advertisements

hi i am senior in high school this year and would like to attend csu fenn college of engineering. i have decent gpa so far 3.1 but my act score is low. its 21. and on fenn college page it says you need atleast a 23. i am already taking the act again in 2 weeks to get higher score. but csu is coming to my school for open application night on november 2nd and i was wondering if they look at my current act score or wait for new one before considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 09:32 PM

191 posts, read 442,592 times
I would not worry about it and apply anyway. Even if you don't get in, you wouldn't be taking too many engineering courses to start off. You should talk to the CSU representative and they will have more information. If you have your ACT sent directly to CSU (on your application form it should list three colleges you can automatically send it to) then they should consider your new one. But don't worry too much about this. CSU would love to have a student like you and even if you don't get in Fenn freshman year you can still start working towards your engineering degree. Good luck on your ACT in two weeks and congratulations on considering CSU, it is a great school. If you have any more questions feel free to ask I just graduated high school not too long ago and am currently a junior at CSU.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:43 PM

thanks. ive been having a headache thinking about this the past couple of days lol.

edit: also do they look at extra circular activities like sports or clubs? i am not in any. should i worry about this?

Old 10-11-2009, 05:19 PM

No, I don't think you should worry. If you were trying to get into Case Western, you might have a problem, but a state school like Cleveland State is just happy to get as many students as possible and you would be a student they would want. Just make sure to talk to the CSU representative, they were really helpful my senior year when I decided to go to Cleveland State and they would really be able to help you too.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffo View Post
No, I don't think you should worry. If you were trying to get into Case Western, you might have a problem, but a state school like Cleveland State is just happy to get as many students as possible and you would be a student they would want. Just make sure to talk to the CSU representative, they were really helpful my senior year when I decided to go to Cleveland State and they would really be able to help you too.
ok thanks. one last question lol. how much do you think yearly tutition would be if im from family of 6 that makes 25k a year?

Old 10-11-2009, 05:50 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
You won't be able to get in to the school of engineering as a freshman anyway. CSU is no longer an "open admission" school, but you would likely still get in. I believe that an 18 is the minimum cutoff for the ACT when considering admissions.

Unergrad tuition is about $6500/yr (plus books, parking, etc.) for a resident. If you want to live there, it's about $5K more. However, there is aid available for low income families.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
You won't be able to get in to the school of engineering as a freshman anyway. CSU is no longer an "open admission" school, but you would likely still get in. I believe that an 18 is the minimum cutoff for the ACT when considering admissions.

Unergrad tuition is about $6500/yr (plus books, parking, etc.) for a resident. If you want to live there, it's about $5K more. However, there is aid available for low income families.

ohh but would it still be impossible for me to get into fenn after freshman year, if i didnt get a 23 ACT score?

Old 10-12-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyko View Post
ohh but would it still be impossible for me to get into fenn after freshman year, if i didnt get a 23 ACT score?
No, they would look at your performance in your pre-engineering classes (math, physics, chemistry) and make a decision based on that criteria. Once you're accepted into CSU, you can talk to counselors in the engineering department that can show you what you need to do.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:42 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
Exactly. Get in there and perform well (over a 3.0 GPA...preferably a 3.5) especially in math, physics, chemistry, and English (the ability to write well is very important in engineering). If you maintain Dean's List (above 3.5), you're sure to get in. My advice is to take all of the prerequisites that you can in your first year. They're virtually the same for all of the engineering discipline's.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Exactly. Get in there and perform well (over a 3.0 GPA...preferably a 3.5) especially in math, physics, chemistry, and English (the ability to write well is very important in engineering). If you maintain Dean's List (above 3.5), you're sure to get in. My advice is to take all of the prerequisites that you can in your first year. They're virtually the same for all of the engineering discipline's.

thank you. this is very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland