Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM

421 posts, read 1,565,706 times

Advertisements

Like Peregrine said, FWD in the snow is like a snowmobile compared to the old RWD cars. THe larger FWD cars, like a 90's type Buick Le Sabre, roll through the snow like a tank, rarely breaking traction. A Chevy Lumina also goes through the snow like a tank!!! Unless you live way back in the boondocks, such cars made a gas drinking, lumbering SUV an unnecessary liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,811 times
Default Joke is on us

Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by homoochan View Post
gosh.. I don't want to trade my summer fun for awd...

Oh well.. Thank you guys anyways!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 PM

124 posts, read 713,520 times
So when I first moved to Cleveland my only car was an Infinity G35 (350Z) similar to your situation. My advice is go to tirerack.com and get a set of rims and snow tires for the winter. With honest to goodness winter tires, your car will be serviceable year round but will still be squirrelly and require careful driving when the roads are really bad. Running on low profile Z-rated tires will give you major problems in the winter; not just from lack of traction in the snow/ice but also the potholes in winter will ruin your stock rims and blow tires real fast. If you get the snow tires on a second set of rims then it is easy to swap them when needed. Don't get lightweight rims for the winter tires either; strong, cheap and easily replaced is what you want for snow tires. Also, don't put weight in the back of the car for better traction! That works for pickup trucks and other front-heavy vehicles but your car should have close to a 50:50 weight distribution so adding weight to the rear will just make the car handle worse.

Steve

Last edited by Steve36; 10-20-2009 at 10:15 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 PM

288 posts, read 1,554,973 times
I drove around here for years with RWD. I didn't have anything great, like a Z, but I still managed to stay on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland