Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 11:17 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I now live in Portland, OR. Ever since I moved to Portland, one major topic of conversation is always the overcast gray sky of the Pacific North West including Portland and Seattle, WA.

A couple of Decades ago, the company I worked back then for sent me DTY to Cleveland, (well actually Euclid near the shore,) for 90 days from just after New Years till almost April. My main memory of that temp assignment was the continual and constant overcast sky, and foggy conditions along the Lake. I also remember the Lake effect wind and snow storms, but that I expected, not the constant overcast and seldom seen sun until March.

What I am looking for is a link to sky cover data for the Cleveland area.

NOAA keeps data on the PNW sky cover and puts it out on the Web.

example :
National Weather Service - NWS Portland
(select Monthly Weather Summary, Portland OR, Archive Data, and then Jan 09 or Feb '09 {scroll down to almost bottom of data for sky cover}

If the sky for last Jan in Portland is recorded as:
NUMBER OF DAYS FAIR 6
NUMBER OF DAYS PC 10
NUMBER OF DAYS CLOUDY 15
From my memory of Cleveland some 20+ years ago, this ain't nothing. 15 days out of 31 total overcast???

So can anyone provide a link to show similar data for Cleveland? I cannot find one. This is to prove a point in a thread in the Portland Oregon sub-forum.

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 01:12 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
All you had to do is change your link. Change the last 3 letters from pqr to cle and:

National Weather Service Climate

Voila!

Cleveland does get a bad rap for cloudiness but clouds aren't all bad. They keep you warmer at night.
Not to even mention the term "Partly Cloudy". What pessimist coined that phrase? We often have a forecast of "Partly Cloudy". "Partly Cloudy" also means "Partly Sunny" to the optimist.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:16 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
I think this might have the info you're looking for:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/clpcdy.txt

These are averages, though.

For January, February, and March, Cleveland averages 11 clear days, and Portland, OR averages 10. Cleveland averages 64 cloudy days and Portland averages 68 cloudy days for that same period.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
All you had to do is change your link. Change the last 3 letters from pqr to cle and:

National Weather Service Climate
Thanks for your reply, but I don't see the data I am looking for. There is no specific sky cover data on the monthly weather summary for Cleveland. Am I missing something? Cleveland's data has much more extensive types of precipitation data breakout though.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I think this might have the info you're looking for:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/clpcdy.txt

These are averages, though.

For January, February, and March, Cleveland averages 11 clear days, and Portland, OR averages 10. Cleveland averages 64 cloudy days and Portland averages 68 cloudy days for that same period.
Thank, I think....

It will take me a bit to understand that massive amount of data. It seems to be, as you said averaged over 40 some years by month. Still trying to figure it out.

Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland