Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 12,083 times

Advertisements

So much helpful information! Thanks to everyone who's offered up suggestions.
One more quick question-- can anyone provide me some parameters as far as which areas to stay in (i.e. East of whatever Street, North of whichever...)? I think it will help me to visualize the locations I should stay in to make sure that I'm staying in a safer neighborhood. Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:05 PM

12 posts, read 21,827 times
For what it's worth, Mayfield Heights (where I currently live) and Lyndhurst are both close to 271, as is Beachwood, which is more expensive. I'm approx 4 miles from the Lake County line and I-90 and can get to Mentor in 20 minutes in normal conditions. If you hate icy freeways as much as I do, there are decent alternatives to get to Mentor from this area.

I'm also single and in my late 20's and looking to move soon. From what I've seen, rent is much more reasonable on the west side but I work on the east side and hate long drives every day. Hint: if you look in Mayfield Heights, avoiding the Marsol is a fairly unanimous opinion.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:47 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
definitely avoid the marsol (didn't they change the name though).. harmon house has decent but pricey apts.. and in mayfield heights, go as far east as possible.. East of lander!

Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM

As far as I know they're still the Marsol.
Hamilton House is WAY overpriced and not worth it. Gates Mills Towers is even more expensive and I know someone who had a real disaster there.
Basically, I can't look at anything though without hating it because it's just another apartment building.

I drive Ridgebury and Mayfield often . . . once you're west of Lander, aren't you in Lyndhurst soon anyway? I'm thinking about buying and have been looking a little in the Mayfield/Lyndhurst areas because their property taxes are lower than CH/UH and they have better freeway access. It's hard to guess what any area will be like in 10 years.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakers03 View Post
As far as I know they're still the Marsol.
Hamilton House is WAY overpriced and not worth it. Gates Mills Towers is even more expensive and I know someone who had a real disaster there.
Basically, I can't look at anything though without hating it because it's just another apartment building.

I drive Ridgebury and Mayfield often . . . once you're west of Lander, aren't you in Lyndhurst soon anyway? I'm thinking about buying and have been looking a little in the Mayfield/Lyndhurst areas because their property taxes are lower than CH/UH and they have better freeway access. It's hard to guess what any area will be like in 10 years.
i couldn't remember the hamilton house name.. gates mills towers.. that was where the old lady was cut up and put in a trash can several years back.. i am not a fan of lyndhurst.. lived on iroquois until 96 (lyndhurst line) and in my opinion that area is the ghetto of mayfield heights.. lived off 91 till last july.. still own the house though.. going to rent it..

Old 01-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i couldn't remember the hamilton house name.. gates mills towers.. that was where the old lady was cut up and put in a trash can several years back.. i am not a fan of lyndhurst.. lived on iroquois until 96 (lyndhurst line) and in my opinion that area is the ghetto of mayfield heights.. lived off 91 till last july.. still own the house though.. going to rent it..

Someone told me Gates Mills Towers had a murder about 10-15 years ago, but the person I was referring to who had a disaster there had to leave her apartment at night when a wall full of water burst open.

The thing that baffles me about the Cleveland area in general is the number of properties for rent all over and even scattered through decent-looking neighborhoods--even places in Beachwood and Pepper Pike. Where I grew up, all the nice homes were owner-occupied and rentals were always blah at best.
Lyndhurst doesn't seem bad but I've been told you really have to watch where you're looking in South Euclid (no, I'm not looking there). I thought the most ghetto area of Mayfield Heights was anything with proximity to the Marsol, or am I wrong on that? SOme of the areas I've looked in east of Lander look ok and I agree nicer than Iroquois.
I've encountered lots of people who seem "not raised the way I was" in area stores and I just hope they're coming over here from elsewhere to work and shop. Kinda sad that I'm reading the police blotters religiously these days for neighborhood data.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:

The thing that baffles me about the Cleveland area in general is the number of properties for rent all over and even scattered through decent-looking neighborhoods--even places in Beachwood and Pepper Pike. Alot of people have moved away (including myself) due to the economy, weather, and the neighborhoods. My home that I am renting has been in my family for 3 generations but i know it is near impossible to sell in Cleveland these days. In my opinion, Mayfield used to be the nice, know your neighbor place. Things have changed. Granted on my street, most the neighbors have been there a very long time.

I thought the most ghetto area of Mayfield Heights was anything with proximity to the Marsol, or am I wrong on that? Way off. We know alot of people near but not in the Marsol. That area is full of younger families. Good people. The closer you get to Lyndhurst, the more rentals, the rougher the neighborhood.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:48 PM

OK, thanks for the info.

I didn't mean the area behind Hillcrest/next to the private school (don't remember its name), just for the record. That area looks nice.

I was looking in an area of Lyndhurst just off Richmond today, closer to Beachwood, and it seemed boring at worst. Cleveland Heights has some nice areas but I'd rather be closer to highway access.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
OK, thanks for the info.

I didn't mean the area behind Hillcrest/next to the private school (don't remember its name), just for the record. That area looks nice.

I was looking in an area of Lyndhurst just off Richmond today, closer to Beachwood, and it seemed boring at worst. Cleveland Heights has some nice areas but I'd rather be closer to highway access.
that area that you are referring to: St. Francis of Assisi is the school. The homes in the back of the development back up to the woods of Gates Mills which is a bird sanctuary so no building will ever be allowed. That is EXACTLY where my home is. Its the best area in Mayfield.. Homes still sell quick (except for 1 but thats another story), people have lived there for years.. depreciation has been slight.

just out of curiousity, the homes that you are looking to rent, I assume are in the $1200-$1800 range?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 PM

I"ve seen some rentals between 900-1000 in Mayfield Heights between Mayfield and Ridgebury but the apartment complexes are cheaper. You just have to put up with sharing walls with other people and having a fitness center that opens on weekdays after you're at work.
I actually didn't look much in Lyndhurst until I started thinking about buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland