Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 11:49 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I grew up a Browns fan since childhood, but I can't get excited about this joke of an organization since this new team hoisting the great Browns name materialized in 1999; it's literally one of, if not the, worst team/worst organization in pro sports.

I'm switching my attention to the Indians. Even though Chris Antonetti can't land the big bat the Indians have been searching for since Thome and Manny left, at least they hired Terry Francona, perhaps the best coaching hire in my lifetime. While Tito isn't necessarily and Xs and Os guy, he's the best manager of people that I've seen. He knows how to reach his players psychologically and somehow get the best out of them...

... and he broke the Curse of the Bambino.... Aside from Lenny Wilkens way back in the '80s, which Cleveland team, other than the current Indians, has hired a coach or manager with a ring?

I'm cautiously optimistic that the Browns are slowly turning it around. I like what they did in the draft this year. Very smart to address both sides of the line. In the AFC North you have to be able to do 2 things effectively... run the ball, and stop the run. Something the Browns have not been too good at, and the 2 things that have brought the Steelers and Ravens success. Win or lose I'll always be a Browns fan, and a Cleveland fan in general. Yeah it's frustrating at times, but if it ever came down to it, I'll stop watching the NFL before I hop on another team's bandwagon. I sure as hell would NEVER hop on the bandwagon of the other 3 knucklehead teams in our division! If anything, at least we have Ohio State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 01:44 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
I hope you both are right. As per Ohio State that'd be nice for sure, but I still want a Cleveland team to win at some point to know that it's possible .

As per the Browns, I could NEVER Root for another team. Ever. Well I'm rooting for my fantasy team and want to see Blake Bortles do well in Jax since I got to know him pretty well, but that's another story. But at the same time , it is certainly disappointing to see how mismanaged it has been. I'd like to think were on the right track, but we do have quite a tough schedule this year.

Completely agree on the Francona hire.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
I hope you both are right. As per Ohio State that'd be nice for sure, but I still want a Cleveland team to win at some point to know that it's possible .

As per the Browns, I could NEVER Root for another team. Ever. Well I'm rooting for my fantasy team and want to see Blake Bortles do well in Jax since I got to know him pretty well, but that's another story. But at the same time , it is certainly disappointing to see how mismanaged it has been. I'd like to think were on the right track, but we do have quite a tough schedule this year.

The first 3 games are against crappy teams... I believe it's the Jets, Titans, and Raiders... Maybe I'm reaching, but it's possible they start 3-0. Get a little win streak going, which builds momentum, as well as their confidence, and you never know. That tough schedule, may not look so tough after all. The beauty of with the way the NFL is set up a team can go from worst to first in one season. Now, I'm not saying the Browns will do that. I still think they have some ways to go. But, I do expect them to end up anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 this year. Anything less is a step backwards!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:43 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,324 times
My cousin just sent me a new RV Flag (Browns). Thinking it'll be up on my home each Sunday besides just camping. Two doors down--- Steelers flag.

Gotta represent out here in CA. Go Mack (high school alum)

Old 06-18-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
My cousin just sent me a new RV Flag (Browns). Thinking it'll be up on my home each Sunday besides just camping. Two doors down--- Steelers flag.

Teacherdad I live about 30 miles from Cleveland, and there are several folks in my neighborhood who have their garages decked out, or fly Steelers flags. Most of my son's friends are Steelers fans! Watch it flip flop though when the Browns actually turn this thing around, and win consistently. In the 80s Pittsburgh fans were almost non-existent around here.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:23 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post

There have been 20 different starting quarterbacks in 14 seasons for Cleveland, or 1.42 QBs per season. I would like to see this trend not continue. I can't really talk about the Bengals QB situation... I mean lets face it.. they base their decision on who will be QB by the color of his hair.

Not sure if you have ever been to an Ohio state football game but it is a completely different experience than any Browns or Bengals game. Any fans of football who live in Ohio that have never been to an OSU game need to go. Don't question it, just do it.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:39 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
There have been 20 different starting quarterbacks in 14 seasons for Cleveland, or 1.42 QBs per season. I would like to see this trend not continue. I can't really talk about the Bengals QB situation... I mean lets face it.. they base their decision on who will be QB by the color of his hair.

Not sure if you have ever been to an Ohio state football game but it is a completely different experience than any Browns or Bengals game. Any fans of football who live in Ohio that have never been to an OSU game need to go. Don't question it, just do it.
I had not been to OSU game in 40+ years but had opportunity to go to National Championship with my son and it was a special time...4th row from field, endzone made it even more special I have my reservations set for Phoenix in January. Cant say my 25 yrs. as a Browns season ticketholder offered me near as grand of an experience..

Old 06-26-2015, 08:47 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post

I love Ohio State games. Though I've been to possibly more important games since then, my favorite sports memory of any sport is being at the 2002 Ohio State-Michigan game. That entire season just felt like a miracle/movie with all the last minute finishes. I was 11 then, and I've been a goner ever since. When I lived in Ohio we used to do at least one OSU game a year, since then I still have made it to like 3 or 4, and hoping to make it to the Hawaii game this year when perhaps the Championship Year lighting will be unveiled.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:21 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post

Mack is my favorite player. Being in education as we both are, I'm sure you understand why. Draddy Award winner (academic Heisman) from a Tier 1 research college. He's no slouch. I was the ONLY one at the Browns draft party thrilled that the Browns drafted him in the first round (thought for sure the Steelers were gonna get him). Plus, he's a center....and runs the offense from the line. And he's tough as nails. Love him.
Having said that, he's a California boy, and played for a loser for years now, with constant turnover. He's also kind of given the browns an ultimatum that they have to have a good year this year. I'm sure he's gone after this year for a west coast team (niners are a perfect fit)

Old 07-23-2015, 04:50 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
If the Cavs can lock up the rest of their guys from last year -- Tristan, JR and even Delly, you'd think we'd be the odds on favorite to win (and yes, that includes beating the Spurs with Aldridge and West)... Most agree, if we'd had all our people from last year -- even if Kyrie hadn't gone down in Game 1 of the Finals, we'd have won the O'Brien trophy... So there's no reason not to think that this same group can get there again -- plus now we have Mo for point guard insurance and Jefferson, who gives us some outside range at the 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland