U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 04:35 PM

420 posts, read 941,171 times

Advertisements

City address system , How many out there understand it ?
Re: 4801 Detroit Avenue = West of 48th Street , on the south side of Deroit Avenue ( I am just wondering )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 PM

147 posts, read 587,555 times
Number streets run north & south. The numbers get bigger as you move away from downtown. The streets that run east & west & southeast & southwest kind of radiate outward from downtown, sort of like spokes in a wheel, with downtown being the hub. The east west street's address numbers correspond to the numbered streets. For the north south streets the address numbers get larger as you move away from the lake. If I remember correctly Harvard Ave was the 4000 block south, and Brookpark Road was the 5000 block south. Then there are a few streets that were just put there to confuse everyone.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 AM

12,954 posts, read 15,062,327 times
I understand it. Pretty simple I think. Gets a little confusing when you get to Berea, though. They do thier own thing out there.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:17 AM

5,043 posts, read 8,182,882 times
Canton and Massillon each have a numbered street system. And, to make things confusing, Canton's numbered streets run east-west, and Massillon's numbered streets run north-south, like Cleveland's.

At least they don't overlap. Massillon's streets go up to 27th, to the east. This road is AKA Jackson Ave. Jackson Ave./27th street is where Canton's numbered streets stop. So, theoretically, there is an intersection of 27th and 12th. But, if you're on the Massillon side, I guess it would be known as the intersection of Hankins Rd, and 27th street. And, if you're on the Canton Side, it would be the intersection of Jackson Ave. and 12th street.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 AM

129 posts, read 308,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I understand it. Pretty simple I think. Gets a little confusing when you get to Berea, though. They do thier own thing out there.
Ah, the departures from the grid system! A number of what are now suburbs were villages first, and created a street system that worked for them. In Berea, it's because of the quarry and the university, which each had roads built around them, not so much by plan as by need.

Even the grid system set up by the original city fathers wasn't perfectly north-south-east-west, because they aligned the downtown streets with the lakefront, which skewed everything for the ages.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:50 AM

15 posts, read 42,510 times
We lived in Cleveland about 30 yrs ago. Is the downtown loop still there? The department stores I remember are Higbees and May Co. I remember the subway was accessable through to the bottom of Higbees and went all the way to the airport. Has this changed much and would this be a good place to retire to. Current live in Florida and cannot wait to leave here. Any input would be great.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 AM

12,954 posts, read 15,062,327 times
Retire to Ohio? Isn't it supposed to the the other way around?
hahaha
Not sure what you mean by "The Downtown loop".
Higbees and May Co. are long gone but there is a "mega mall" in The Terminal Tower now. It's called "Tower City". You will not recognize that place at all it is so radially different (in a great way) then it was 30 years ago. The "subway" does still run between there and the airport.
It is certainly affordable to retire here.
Other then the weather I cannot think of one reason to tell someone not to retire here.
Although I am sure someone on this forum has a million reasons why you shouldn't and will be along shortly to share them.
lol

Old 09-03-2010, 12:46 PM

15 posts, read 42,510 times
thanks for the feedback. are there places to live downtown that aren't terribly expensive. we want to ditch the car (one less expense) and be able to walk just able everywhere, grocery, drug store, etc. Public transportation is fine for the little amount of time we would actually use it. And I do so love the winters. Our first year there it snowed on Thanksgiving day. I was so excited. Also, are there any neighborhoods we should shy away from? Thanks for all the help.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 PM

132 posts, read 328,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou53 View Post
thanks for the feedback. are there places to live downtown that aren't terribly expensive. we want to ditch the car (one less expense) and be able to walk just able everywhere, grocery, drug store, etc. Public transportation is fine for the little amount of time we would actually use it. And I do so love the winters. Our first year there it snowed on Thanksgiving day. I was so excited. Also, are there any neighborhoods we should shy away from? Thanks for all the help.
Well it depends on what you consider expensive

Old 09-08-2010, 10:20 PM

420 posts, read 941,171 times
Default Well as citydudeallover

I am glad that this post was restarted , only for me to fill in a few things,
This post was started because of my young neice , and her school home work, about what else but directions , not here but in general , However us living west I said well take Detoit AVENUE , It runs East and West by Detroit Being named AVENUE , after some more talks with her she said , why if Uncle the prefix of a street name is important that the road signs do not have ect. ect. after it Made me pompt this post , to ask people if they knew , the Names of roadways mean somthing
Avenue means East and West , Drive East and West, Street = North and South , Road = North and South, Lorain Avenue is just that , Fairvew Hostipal is Lorain Avenue , untill after the bridge into Fairveiw Park , but yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydudeallover View Post
City address system , How many out there understand it ?
Re: 4801 Detroit Avenue = West of 48th Street , on the south side of Deroit Avenue ( I am just wondering )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: