Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,393 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new to Cleveland and am currently looking for apartments. I had my eyes on some apartments in Lakewood, Westlake, and Beachwood/Lyndhurst area.

I was wondering how the commute would be from the westside to CCF. Especially in the winter. I did hear the eastside gets more snow but what do you locals suggest be a better commute considering the snow and traffic?

And do you get more snow if your right off the shore in the lakewood area?

Any kind of input would be helpful!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 07:23 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I won't sugar coat it. That commute would not be pleasant in winter when we get our 3-4 bad snow storms.
However Lakewood does have easy access to the Rapid Transit (our "above ground subway") and that will take you pretty far towards CCF. You'll have to leave a bit early but it always runs, snow or shine.

There is a ride planner here you can check out:
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

There are pros and cons regarding living close to the lake. You won't get much more snow then you would living 20 miles from the lake. Once in a great while maybe but it is rare.
The "snow line" divides east-west not so much south. If the westside gets hit with a foot of snow pretty much the entire western county gets that much. While the east side will get 3 feet. Living close to the lake actually keeps you a bit warmer when the lake is warm. It's weird for people to see it is 40 degrees at the lakeshore and 35 degrees inland but it happens all the time. Living by the lake you will see on the news that there is a frost warning but you won't see any frost.
Living close to the lake keeps you cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
Once the lake freeze over you lose those benefits but the lake effect snow stops when it's frozen so that's a plus.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:03 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
I agree with Peregrine.

However, I think you will find that you have enough transit options to make the situation bearable. If I was to do public transit from Lakewood, I would take the Rapid Transit to Tower City and then catch the RTA Healthline bus out to CCF. I've done it once and got there in about 45 minutes. A regular car commute is 20-30 minutes in good traffic.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:38 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
I know a large number of people who live in Rocky River, Lakewood, and Westlake who commute to the Clinic. A 20 minute drive from Rocky River is NOTHING. Seriously, it'd take me 45 minutes in DC to drive 5 miles.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
I'm not insinuating that it's bad, I'm just telling what to expect. Cleveland area traffic is not that bad. We actually have a good proportion of freeways for a city our size and this makes most commutes bearable.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:44 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I know a large number of people who live in Rocky River, Lakewood, and Westlake who commute to the Clinic. A 20 minute drive from Rocky River is NOTHING. Seriously, it'd take me 45 minutes in DC to drive 5 miles.
Yea, it's nothing April - November. That 20-25 minute commute could be 90 minutes in a snowstorm in January. You know that, Weso, come on now.
Hence the Collectors post about a 45 minute bus ride during inclement weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland