U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:05 PM

3,898 posts, read 6,251,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryann69 View Post
I have an apartment magazine and already see that living in parma is not within our means.
Don't rely exclusively on those apartment magazines as they usually only show large complexes that can afford all that glossy advertising.

One other source you might try for apartments is craigslist. I just did a quick search on what was available in Parma for a maximum rent of $500 and came up with 107 listings.

(For some reason this site is not currently letting me post direct links... but the URL is cleveland.craigslist.org/apa ... and from there you can do a search specifying area and price range. Hope this helps.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 PM

420 posts, read 941,171 times
Default The City of Cleveland's Old Brooklyn Neighborhood

Just have to say , (Tuxedo Ave) So U mean The Broadview Road Area How about Broadview Garden Apartments on the Cleveland Side,
Do u travel the area and see every area of this neighborhood ? The South Hills area of this City Neighborhood has grand Older Homes well Maintained and is a great area , How about Skyview Estates Subdivision Do u know where that is ? The Newest Subdivision Built in The Early 1990's along Spring Road , Is way North of where u say is more rundown ,I have lived in all area's of this neighborhood , Have family in Parma ( Know it well ) I am so tired of People Stating things on this Forum
That is based on what ?
another option would be the cleveland side of state/480. but only the first few streets north of 480, the streets/houses are more rundown as you go north. imo its worth the $25-$75 extra/month to be on the parma side.[/quote]

Last edited by citydudeallover; 05-04-2010 at 11:39 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 12:00 AM

4,342 posts, read 6,236,820 times
First of all, Tri-C east is barely in the snow belt. It's on the lower fringe. Secondly, Tri-C west is about 2-3 miles off of I-71. I'd say that it's near enough to an interstate.

The most direct way to get between the two campuses is to take I-271 South to I-480 West to I-71 South to the Bagley Rd. Exit (from east to west). This is about a 25 mile, maybe 30-40 minute drive depening on the time of day and direction you're going (rush hour is very directional on 480, especially). Even if you were to choose a location that was a little more biased to one location than the other, the commute would not be prohibitive. My suggestion would be to consider anything west of I-77 and south of SR 17 (Granger/Brookpark Rd) of if you're looking for centrality. The exception to this would be Valley View and Cuyahoga Heights. Both are fine communities. Other exceptions would be the Old Brooklyn or Tremont areas of Cleveland and the City of Brooklyn. Any of these areas are decent. My personal areas of choice for centrality would be Valley View, Cuyahoga Heights, Seven Hills, Independence, Brooklyn Heights, Old Brooklyn, Tremont, and certain areas of Parma. I would steer clear of Garfield Hts. and Maple Hts. The areas nearer to the freeways are sketchy.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:04 AM

7 posts, read 20,442 times
Thanks to everyone for your answers and opinions. I'm not sure I'm any closer to a decision than I was before, but it sure gives me A LOT to research in the next few months.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:55 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,716,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryann69 View Post
Thanks ottomobeale...

But I have no idea what any of that means. Cleveland = snow. So you're saying she should live as close to east campus as possible and then when she transfers move as close to west campus as possible? If that's what you mean, then help with areas close to both campuses would be welcome. I have an apartment magazine and already see that living in parma is not within our means.
You can afford Parma. Pretty much anyone can. I don't say that to demean Parma at all, I like Parma. I like what andrew61 said about expanding your search methods beyond those glossy apartment guides.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 AM

12,954 posts, read 15,062,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

The western campus is near the secondary snow belt and not on anything I would call a main road. My MIL works there.
Pleasant Valley is not a "main road"? What do you consider a main road then?

As for your comments about SNOW keep in mind we are talking about her going to school. Schools typically have these things called SNOW DAYS. I am sure you are familiar with that term? So she won't be driving in a blizzard.

Way to fear monger....

Old 05-05-2010, 10:35 AM

13,256 posts, read 9,621,607 times
>Pleasant Valley is not a "main road"? What do you consider a main road then?<

Something with more than 2 lanes for traffic. IE Pearl, Ridge and State. The fat yellow lines on google maps; not the skinny ones.

It is a "for sure" she will be driving through very bad snowy roads. Snow days mostly happen AFTER the snow dump. 15-25 miles through that are.. not fun.

To OP: Im done. Shrug. TIOLI. Moving once is less time than say 15 miles each way 200 times, possibly through very bad weather. I see no factual errors above about where is good and where is bad though some are out of budget w/o a roommate.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Ottomobeale... I've taken your point into great consideration. I'm starting to agree with you in that who knows where she'll be in her life in a year and might be needing to move anyway. Will consider locations closer to East campus to start. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:34 PM

4,342 posts, read 6,236,820 times
Eh, a 1/2 hour commute each day for 200 days is 100 hours. That's about 7-8 "real days." Most people take longer than a weeks and a day to actually move in total. Moving is a lot more BS than just the day you take your things from point A to point B. You have to search for a new place, move your utilities, pack and unpack, etc. Then, you're going to have to commute to some degree everyday anyway. Moving sucks, period. Short commutes are no big deal.

Kerryann, if you can find an affordable, central, and safe location (which you will). Grab it. The "very bad snowy roads" thing is being vastly overstated. We get heavy snows about 3-4 times per winter and the plowing along the main routes is excellent. Furthermore, the bad roads are more likely to be on the east side anyway.

BTW, Bagley/Pleasant Valley is very much a main thoroughfare. There is a small section of the road between Ridge and Pearl that isn't a 5 lane highway yet, but 95% of the road from SR 21 to I-71 is. If you're driving from I-71 to Tri-C West, you'll see less than a 1/2 mile of the 2 lane area and it's never very busy. York Rd. (the road bordering the east side of Tri-C West is also a 5 lane highway. Otto is making it sound like it's in the sticks...not even close.

Last edited by Cleveland_Collector; 05-05-2010 at 01:43 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Kerryann, if you can find an affordable, central, and safe location (which you will). Grab it.

Would LOVE to find all that... just still not sure what area/s I should be looking into. I've gotten several responses but can't really tell from the posts whether they fall into those categories. Seems most of the posts are pushing one direction or the other. Would LOVE for her to live in parma right outside the West campus, but her athletics cause her to have to be at the East campus.

Would love to hear a couple areas that fit to my original question and that the responder wouldn't hesitate to move there themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland