Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,960 times

Advertisements

I have been researching relocating to North Carolina's coastal area but it's hard to see anything but tourist material. What is a good area for a 20 something Y/O professional to move? Where do I start!? lol thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 06:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinnprancin26 View Post
I have been researching relocating to North Carolina's coastal area but it's hard to see anything but tourist material. What is a good area for a 20 something Y/O professional to move? Where do I start!? lol thanks!
What career field are you looking in? Other than Wilmington, most of NC's coastal areas are very tourist-driven (except Jacksonville which is military). We don't have any "cities" that are at the beach like, say, Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach; Wilmington is the only large population area that's right at the beach, and it's a small city.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:32 AM

551 posts, read 1,874,776 times
I live in Wilmington and there are a number of new yorkers here. There are also a lot of college students. The job situation is tough here though I wouldn't think of moving down without one.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 13,180 times
I'm not sure what a Y/O professional is, but I would suggest driving down and checking out Virginia Beach/Outer Banks area or any other place you are considering before moving first. See what the job and housing situation is and if it's something you like. There is also Myrtle Beach in SC. Find a job before packing up and also a place to live before landing permanently. Some of the tourist areas have businesses that are seasonal and rentals can be high, but more year round rentals are opening up than there used to be.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:57 AM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile Depends on what you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinnprancin26 View Post
I have had the privilege of knowing lots of interesting twenty year olds, including my own set of young adults. Of the three, two would like living here on the Crystal Coast, and one is actively trying to figure out to accomplish the move. Of course finding a job is the biggest challenge. The third one of our children thinks we live beyond the limits of civilizations. While I am happy with a very fast cable modem, he has to have Verizon FIOS and lots of restaurants like Chilpote Mexican Grill and Sweetwater Tavern. He would prefer an eight lane highway to a two lane road through a National Forest.

It is one of those equations that we all face. Do you want to live where you love living but might have to do something which does not pay as much as you want or do you want to live where you can have your favorite job and perhaps be within traveling distance of a place you love?

I absolutely love NC's Northern Outer Banks, I have been traveling there since I was one, and that was a lot of years ago. The summer crowds gradually pushed us south along the banks until we were vacationing on Hatteras Island.

When we decided to make the move from the Virginia Mountains where I used to commute weekly to the DC metro area for my job, we spent about three years visiting places along the coast from Assateague on Virginia's eastern shore to Southport and Oak Island on North Carolina's coast.

We had already ruled out South Carolina because of the extra summer heat though Charleston is a really great town for young professionals and probably higher up my list than Wilmington.

We even looked at Ocracoke, but in the end having limited services and a very thin strand of road as an exit when storms rolled around convinced us that we would not be happy on the Northern Outer Banks. A lot of people have found it to be a great place. But we already did our isolation thing when we lived on the Nova Scotia coast in the seventies and in the wilds of New Brunswick in the early eighties so we started looking closely at the Southern Outer Banks which has never been as well known as the Northern Banks unless you were a North Carolina native.

It was an area very familiar to me since I have been coming with family members to the area to fish for as long as I can remember. I fished on the Point at Emerald Isle when I was less than twenty and getting there required a long ride down the beach in a four wheel drive vehicle.

The Southern Outer Banks is an area of small towns but there are lots of reasons to love the area. It is an area of extreme beauty. The waters here are sometimes very hard to even describe with words, but pictures come close to showing the true colors of the water. The year round population of Carteret County is 65,000 but that doubles at least during the summer peak of visitors. However, the summer tourist traffic is nothing compared to the Northern Outer Banks. We actually have much better roads, and the area can be approached fairly easily by Interstate highway. Even now at the first of August, we are quickly headed to the point when in three weeks, the beaches will start to empty as children go back to school. We will actually miss the visitors since they make the area feel festive.

Because of the summer influx of tourists we have great services from Best Buy, Star Bucks, Olive Garden, TJ Maxx, Out Back to Panera Bread. Almost all of this is in the Morehead City area about 18 to 20 minutes from where we live near Emerald Isle. In the end Carteret County or the area we call the Crystal Coast was the place that fitted our needs the best. Four years later, I am still happy with the decision, and we are in the process of selling our mountain home. This is now home for us.

You should consider the area if you absolutely love the water and being able to easily enjoy it. We are sandwiched between the 158,000 acres of the Croatan National Forest and the 56 miles of the Cape Lookout National Seashore which is accessible only by boat. We love the area's trails and visiting Cape Lookout is also very special.

If your idea of fun is finding your own beach in a boat or walking on a nearly deserted beach, then this might be the area for you.

There are limited evening entertainment options unless you like those moonlight beach walks, relaxing with a book, or one of our more exotic evening activities like flounder gigging. There are small bars in Morehead City and often there is live music on the docks in Beaufort during the weekend evenings in the summer. However, beach access and water access in the area is exceptional. You can walk on the beach anywhere, and there are a number of free parking areas. There are plenty of places to launch a boat or a kayak. Emerald Isle has some wonderful biking trails stretching for miles.

The area has a lot of fishing, and people who love fishing and boating. We also have access to some of the best fresh seafood on the east coast, from flounder and grouper to shrimp. Every restaurant has their own shrimp and grits recipe. We had grilled Spanish mackerel fresh from the ocean for dinner last night.

Just driving across the bridge to the beaches renews my spirit. In fact the whole combination of land and water stretching as far as the eye can see is something very special.

If you love being able to talk the owner of the local product stand or know the people in the family run restaurants, this might be the place for you.

If having a white heron as an early morning visitor thrills you, then this could be the place for you.

If being able to taste your first ripe homegrown tomato the first of June is important, or if you like having a palm tree by your porch, this might be your spot.

If having a Target closer than 30 minutes is important, we are still waiting for ours in Morehead City, but we do have one in Jacksonville about 35 minutes away.

Take a look at the index of posts that I have written for people who might be interested in moving to the area.

Then visit the website where I have lots of local information and pictures about the area.

If all of that appeals to you, read my travel guides to Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link), Swansboro, and Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguidecd - broken link), then come for a visit and explore the employment opportunities which I will tell you upfront are mostly limited to service industries unless you are a teacher or medical professional. There is work on the area military bases but it usually takes some special skills. Housing in the area is very reasonable, and there are plenty of places to rent.

This is an absolutely wonderful area for someone to live who loves the out of doors, friendly people, and a laid-back beach atmosphere without too much of a tourist atmosphere. It is a year around community with medical services and only 2.5 hours to Raleigh and about three hours to the Chapel Hill-Durham area which is a wonderful place for young professionals if you can handle the traffic and hectic pace of life.

You cannot get a Bogue Sound Watermelon or fresh shrimp right off the boat in Raleigh but you will have a lot easier time finding a job.

Living here lets us have some amazing days and live near some fantastic spots like the Point at Emerald Isle, but there are trade offs. If lots of shopping with access to the latest stuff is important, you might not like the area. If you can live with Belk's as your department store and find your special stuff online, this is one of the most beautiful spots on earth. It is also a spot where you can focus on the important things like family and friends. The festivals we have year round are an important part of life here.

I can almost taste those Episcopalian lobsters now. Then there is the Mullet Festival, and it won't be long until is time for the Emerald Isle Christmas parade where there are almost more people in the parade than watching it.

If this list of things to do at the beach matches what you like to do, come for a visit.

Here is a map to some area attractions and my current favorite local restaurants, Nicky's, Riverside, Fairway, T&W's, and Ballyhoo's. I had some great hand breaded fried clam strips (http://crystalcoastnorthcarolina.us/content/fried-clam-strip-nickys-swansboro - broken link) as an appetizer yesterday at Nicky's.

There are more articles about the area posted at this site.

Last edited by dsobotta; 08-01-2010 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Left out link

Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Looking at the map of the area you so wonderfully described above... it looks very close to a marine landing field and the marine base. Do you hear a lot of planes from the landing field?

Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 AM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile Bogue Field & Military noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Looking at the map of the area you so wonderfully described above... it looks very close to a marine landing field and the marine base. Do you hear a lot of planes from the landing field?
Bogue Field isn't heavily used, but once in a while there is a burst of activity. Where we live in Bluewater Cove up the White Oak about three miles, we don't hear the landing noise. In Bogue and some spots on Emerald Isle you hear it when the field is active. In those places there is a noise disclosure form that is part of any real estate transaction.

However, once in a while we have some copters flying over, and just before deployment we can often hear mortars. It certainly is not an every day thing, but we do hear the sound of freedom occasionally.

It would be hard to locate in much of Carteret County without hearing some military noise on occasion.

It certainly isn't anything like the hum that we used to hear 24 hours a day when we lived a few miles from Interstate 95 in Columbia, Md.

When we do hear noise, it takes a little while to distinguish between military noise and thunder so it isn't too bad. The white herons don't even blink.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:05 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
I suspect that state law is one of the primary reasons the coast of N.C. has not been more heavily built upon. By state law, no one can own the beach, it is public property and few large hotels will build where they can not have their own beach, this, I believe, is a good thing. Is also probably why our beaches are pristine and largely deserted, a beach with solitude, made for listening to the surf and fishing. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina