U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 AM

99 posts, read 205,668 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are self employed and able to live anywhere to work. We are considering spending the winter in coastal NorthCarolina. We currently live in Chicago and want a winter break. We have been to outer banksmany times, but want to be close to Wilmington so we are considering 1 of the 3 places above. Which is nicer? Are they all about 30 minutes from Wilmington?
Also, if we like the area we may stay and get involved in church planting. Is this a good area for church planting?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:24 AM

983 posts, read 3,649,192 times
Topsail is about an hour from Wilmington. It's very laid back....not a lot in the way of entertainment.....

Old 08-24-2010, 10:54 AM

2,370 posts, read 2,872,359 times
Carolina Beach and Kure beach are both on Pleasure Island , very close but
different.
Carolina beach has more restaurants and all the shopping while Kure beach is
more quiet.
no matter what , they are practically one and very close.

I for one would not want to spend the summer on Topsail much less the winters.
it just feels too far removed and not a city per se. I have been there a couple of times this summer and it feels like it is totally set up for summer visitors.
in addition is is also a further drive from Wilmington than Pleasure Island.

I am wondering what church planting is? are you looing to open a new church?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the replies! It sounds like Kure or Carolina may be more suited for us.

Yes, church planting is starting a new church. I know there are several churches in this area, but this is our passion and desire. We want to start a church that centers on helping others in need. That is why we wanted to be close to Wilmington as it seems to have some areas of need.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:52 PM

551 posts, read 1,741,148 times
Well... I am not an expert in church planting, but you should know this area has many churches. I would think it would be a difficult place to start a church because there are so many and because the people here tend to be very church-going. You may have considered this, but it could also be hard starting a church when you are here only in the winter. That being said, of the places you name, you should visit and see what you like. A lot of stuff on the barrier islands is closed in the winter. You might rather be on the mainland (Surf City or Hampstead) instead of right on Topsail beach.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
Well... I am not an expert in church planting, but you should know this area has many churches. I would think it would be a difficult place to start a church because there are so many and because the people here tend to be very church-going. You may have considered this, but it could also be hard starting a church when you are here only in the winter. That being said, of the places you name, you should visit and see what you like. A lot of stuff on the barrier islands is closed in the winter. You might rather be on the mainland (Surf City or Hampstead) instead of right on Topsail beach.
Thanks for the info. We do know it is heavily churched, but we know of current church plants that are still quite successful in the area.
Also, if we decide to go this route, we will be staying in the area...not just the winter.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,487 times
Default Still interested in church planting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1coltsfan View Post
Thanks for the info. We do know it is heavily churched, but we know of current church plants that are still quite successful in the area.
Also, if we decide to go this route, we will be staying in the area...not just the winter.
Hi! Are you still interested in church planting in the Wilmington area? Please email me at [email]strivingfor31@yahoo.com[/email] if you are still praying about this. My wife and I are praying about this as well and we would love to speak with you. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina