Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:07 PM

42 posts, read 241,633 times

Advertisements

hi i was looking at relocating and considering these areas. Does anyone have any experience with both? I'm single and will move and rent a nice condo or town house and get a boat eventually. Just wondering what anyone thinks when comparing these 2 areas for place to live. thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
i'm very familiar with both places.

what do you want to know?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 PM

14 posts, read 53,167 times
If nothing was holding me to either area, I would pick Charleston. I always describe it as a bigger Wilmington. Not a huge difference, but it's a little bigger in almost all aspects.

I believe living will be slightly higher there as well. The only drawbacks I can really think of is in the beaches. Wilmington's beaches are a little better. Plus, you can drive on Carolina Beach here and surfing is better than Charleston area.

Depends on what you like. Also, if you are having to make drives to a home, how often, etc.

Both have great positives without many negatives.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:28 PM

42 posts, read 241,633 times
So Chalreston has a larger down town area with more things to do. Still not sure if living in downtown walking distance to eating drinking etc is better option than living at marina for example. I would rent condo for year or so. Do people boat to restaraunt and bars in charleston like they do in wilmington...dock side etc? thnks

Old 09-15-2010, 01:34 PM

14 posts, read 53,167 times
I know there are some restaurants along Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant (Charleston area) that people dock and eat.

There is more water in Charleston with the rivers, so probably more boating opportunities. On that note of getting a boat, you need to think about how you getting on to your boat as well. Boat slip or launching? Then look at the costs of boat slips in location to some places and compare to launching.

I've only launched at Isle of Palms in Charleston. It was okay. Not sure about other areas and no idea on slip rentals or purchases. Wilmington is absolutely horrible during the summer on the weekends at the launches. Try going out at 10 am at Wrightsville beach? Better plan on walking about a half mile from where you finally park. Want to come back in around 3? Better plan on waiting over 30 minutes as it is cut throat. But, there is a reason so many people weather the boat ramp conditions. Because it's worth it.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
i personally like the people in charleston better. Both places have a lot of transplants, but sometimes Wilmington feels like there are no locals, that they all packed up and left years ago. People seem to never stay here very long, and you find a little bit of everything, there is no coherent "culture". Charleston, by comparison, has a distinct local flavor and a huge group of born and raised locals that never want to leave.

Charleston locals are a more educated group. you have a major state university, a military school, a law school and a medical school. wilmington just has a small state university, and anybody with a decent job is probably a mortgage broker, a real estate agent, or a developer.

boating is more accessible in Charleston. in Wilmington, you really need a boat slip. as to where you can go -- Wilmington has mostly sandy islands that can be reached by boat, like Masonboro, or dozens of little sandy places to hang out. Charleston has a relatively small number of sandy uninhabited beaches, but has a maze of slow moving tidal creeks with detreitus and pluff mud that the cape fear region lacks.

the 'place to be' in Charleston is downtown. downtown Wilmington doesn't compare to downtown Charleston. However, Charleston doesn't have a beach that compares to Wrightsville Beach, in my opinion.

Wilmington weather is noticably milder than Charleston, as well, and much breezier.

Last edited by le roi; 09-15-2010 at 01:51 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 PM

344 posts, read 462,267 times
I have a question about Wilmington. Since the crime rate there seems pretty high to me, I would like to know whether it is mostly concentrated in one area? Or is it mostly evenly split out between the entire city?

Old 05-17-2015, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 6,688 times
Hello. I am in my early thirties and a single mom to a 3 year old son and have been debating between these two places. I'm from Fayetteville which is a military town and the fact charleston has several military bases sparked my interest. I also have an interest in film so Wilmington was of course a place to flourish in. I am a stickler for culture though and love the downtown feel with plenty of fun things to do. Looking at a possible job location at both because where I work has several positions in both areas. thanks for any advice you can give.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:17 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,375,458 times
The film industry has shrunk considerably, due to the General Assembly's decision to drastically scale back the state's film incentives. Housing is less expensive in Wilmington, generally speaking. Charleston is probably more vibrant and has a stronger, more balanced economy. Did you have some specific questions?

PS, you should post any requests for information about Charleston on the Charleston board.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:27 AM

35 posts, read 63,297 times
Wilmington productive revenue streams are primarily businesses PPD, Corning, GE, and the hospital.
Tourist revenue streams being a boost and the film industry is getting jerked around by the general assembly's changing positions on the tax credits. UNCW is essentially a satellite campus for the UNC system. Not quite a major university. There will be growth and thousands of retirees coming in over the next 20 years. Specialized medical services should be a need in the area particularly geriatrics and personalized medicine. The old guard medical industry down here does not compare well to other regions of the country. The technology and diagnostic practices fall short of the Raleigh-Durham area from my experience, and Boston/New York/Atlanta/Seattle people tell me RDU falls short of their areas.

You will be paid less here than in many other regions and the real estate is a bit high in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina