Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 10:41 AM

16 posts, read 53,679 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at taking a job in Morehead City, but don't know the area well (I am from the Detroit area). I am a new graduate, so a house is still a few years away for me. Are there any apartments in the area? I have been reading other posts on the coast and Morehead seems to be one of the better cities. Any input? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 10:01 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneal123 View Post
I have been looking at taking a job in Morehead City, but don't know the area well (I am from the Detroit area). I am a new graduate, so a house is still a few years away for me. Are there any apartments in the area? I have been reading other posts on the coast and Morehead seems to be one of the better cities. Any input? Thanks

Look at Sea Spray condos over on Atlantic Beach, you can get them to rent to you on a yearly basis not expensive. Ocean front.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:37 PM

Thanks! I was beginning to think that no one lived there... Do you have a link or number to use? I just looked them up and all I can find is 3rd party sellers.

Last edited by eneal123; 07-04-2007 at 05:48 PM..

Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 PM

120 posts, read 631,622 times
Default re

I lived in the area for a while just a little over a year ago. I wound up actually living in Beaufort Townhouse apts, they were $575/month. All of the stuff that I looked at over in Atlantic Beach was more expensive, couldn't find anything less than about $800/month. This is an area that I advise being sure to visit and spend some time in prior to moving, especially since you're coming from a city like Detroit. It's small, quiet, not a lot to do besides beach stuff, so the winters are dead-dead-dead. DEAD. I wouldn't not recommend it to anyone because it just depends on what you're looking for. However, I would never consider a move there again. It's an okay place to visit in the summer, living there is another story. Not a lot of permanent young residents there. I like more action, Morehead City and the surrounding area was boring. I had friend who was my age, we had moved there about the same time for the same job. When I moved North, she went back to Raleigh (she grew up there) within a couple of months for the same reasons that I've mentioned. These are my opinions, check it out for yourself if you haven't already. It does have a certain summer charm, just remember that if you visit in the summer, it's not like that year round. It's actually *not* like that for the majority of the time. I think I would've had more fun in Wilmington, I ended up driving down there when I could anyway.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:48 AM

That was one of my biggest fears....boredom. I don't mind the quiet, but I am not sure if I would like the winters there. I like to have options on the weekends. I am going down there at the end of August, so I will have to evaluate the situation when I get there. Thanks for being honest.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awakenthesun22 View Post
I lived in the area for a while just a little over a year ago. I wound up actually living in Beaufort Townhouse apts, they were $575/month. All of the stuff that I looked at over in Atlantic Beach was more expensive, couldn't find anything less than about $800/month. This is an area that I advise being sure to visit and spend some time in prior to moving, especially since you're coming from a city like Detroit. It's small, quiet, not a lot to do besides beach stuff, so the winters are dead-dead-dead. DEAD. I wouldn't not recommend it to anyone because it just depends on what you're looking for. However, I would never consider a move there again. It's an okay place to visit in the summer, living there is another story. Not a lot of permanent young residents there. I like more action, Morehead City and the surrounding area was boring. I had friend who was my age, we had moved there about the same time for the same job. When I moved North, she went back to Raleigh (she grew up there) within a couple of months for the same reasons that I've mentioned. These are my opinions, check it out for yourself if you haven't already. It does have a certain summer charm, just remember that if you visit in the summer, it's not like that year round. It's actually *not* like that for the majority of the time. I think I would've had more fun in Wilmington, I ended up driving down there when I could anyway.

Yeah my brother in-law lives there and it's seem dull. They wanted us to move there.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneal123 View Post
Thanks! I was beginning to think that no one lived there... Do you have a link or number to use? I just looked them up and all I can find is 3rd party sellers.
Atlantic Beach Vacation Rentals condo Oceanfront Condominium with Ocean View USA,North Carolina

Old 07-06-2007, 10:25 PM

120 posts, read 631,622 times
Default re

I really think that Wilmington is the only decent coastal NC city as far as having a variety of options for things to do and...if you're younger, a sizable younger population to find people to hang out with. Jacksonville has plenty of young people too, it's very military. My opinion of Jacksonville (not Camp Lejune) as a city is not high. I think NC has several very cool cities, but I think there is only one on the coast that's worth looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina