Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times

Advertisements

*This is purely hypothetical*

Moderator cut: copyright violation see TOS for complete posting guidelines

Back in 2007-2008, there were news articles about USS Kitty Hawk eventually ending up in Wilmington.
New ship coming in? | StarNewsOnline.com
Ex-Sailors' Dream Is USS Kitty Hawk Moored in Wilmington :: WRAL.com

I would love nothing more than for USS Kitty Hawk to end up in North Carolina. But my question is, should Wilmington "get" it or should it go to Kitty Hawk? My thought is Kitty Hawk should get it. It would be an awesome attraction there, and it would "spread the wealth" along the coast. Plus what better way to show the circle of flight, than having an aircraft carrier at the same place as the first flight?

I know it would be a logistical nightmare (i.e. getting it through Bonner Bridge or somehow in the sound through the Hatteras Inlet). But this is just about while city/town do you think deserves it?

Morehead City area should go ahead and put their name in for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_North_Carolina_(SSN-777) in 30-40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 01:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
I don't know, but there are only two stae ports in NC. Wilmington and Morehead City. As you alluded to, I'm not sure Kitty Hawk could accomodate(sp?) it. I guess they could park it off shore and use ferries/shuttles.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:52 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I don't know, but there are only two stae ports in NC. Wilmington and Morehead City. As you alluded to, I'm not sure Kitty Hawk could accomodate(sp?) it. I guess they could park it off shore and use ferries/shuttles.
IF it got to that point, they would create a spot on the shore.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:05 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,783 times
The only way they could get that ship near Kitty Hawk would be to run it aground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina