Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:00 PM

20 posts, read 112,118 times

Advertisements

Me: 23 yr old (female) looking to move to Coastal NC. I have done my research on Coastal towns in NC and I have come down to New Bern and Morehead City. I am still unsure which town would fit me better.

What I am looking for:
- Place to meet people. I am single and although I do not bar hop, I still want to be able to meet people around my age.
- Cheap rent (400-600 range) which would either be a 1 bed apt or even a room in a house.
- Dog friendly!

Other than these qualifications, both towns have what I am looking for. I just need direction in picking the right town for me!

Thanks for all the help (in advance).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:12 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,868,836 times
New Bern you'll find the cheaper rent, but it will be easier to meet people in MHC as most clubs/bars are in Havelock and MHC. Living in New Bern also puts you closer to Greenville which has the trifecta of Marines from Havelock, Airmen from Goldsboro, and locals from the college and the area. Honestly, everything you can access in one area can be accessed from another. Focus your realty search on Craven and Carteret county and find a residence that suits you best. What industry do you plan on working in?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:13 PM

7,068 posts, read 12,577,177 times
Hmmm, hard choice...any chance you can can come for a visit to scope the two towns out?

Morehead's just a skip to the ocean beach...New Bern's got the sound and river...

Will you be working? Which town has more/better career opportunities for you?

Both are nifty places to live.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:27 PM

Well, coming from Colorado, it will be kind of expensive to come for a visit and then move, I might just take my chances and do it. I moved to HI the same way and it worked well! I just need to do all the research that I can before I move..

As for work.. I have worked in MANY different fields and I am willing to work a "lower" job to start off. I have done lots of Administrative work, Personal Assistant, Childcare. I also have a degree in Liberal Arts in Business. I would like to say I am well rounded and I am not very picky on jobs, just looking for the experience!

The one thing I found confusing was that New Bern has a much higher population but Morehead City has much more of a "younger" scene, very interesting!

I do LOVE the beach, but I have also heard that the river in New Bern all the way down to the ocean is beautiful!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:03 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,868,836 times
WIth childcare, you might want to put in an application at the CDC on base in Havelock. It starts out at almost $11/hr whihc is actually goes a long way in this area. Also working fro them will give you access to all the base facilities like the gym and pool. The only thing you can't use is the commissary and medical. They are in the midst of constructing an additional building for the CDC now and will need workers to fill it.

Employment Opportunities (http://www.mccscherrypoint.com/employment.htm - broken link)

it's listed under child/youth program assistant.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,225,559 times
Do you have to be on the water? Both of the places listed are subpar when it comes to nightlife. Wilmington has more, but it is more expensive. Greenville does as well, but it isn't on the water, but cheaper. Greenville isn't too far away from water either.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the employment link, I will definitely check that site out!

As for the location, water would be a plus for me. Since I have lived in a mountain town for soo long it would be nice to be closer to the ocean! Before I came down to these two towns, I was looking to Raleigh and Charlotte and more inner-cities, but the small town feel and the proximity to the ocean really drew me towards Morehead and New Bern.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 AM

27 posts, read 53,337 times
My Family finally had a visit to Morehead this summer after much research. It is a wonderful small coastal town. It has all your basic needs and the proximity to the ocean was amazing!!! We will be visiting again in the spring to check it our more! We miss all the sun and coastal breeze!!

We drove though New Bern on our way it was definately bigger but we really didn't explore it so I can't comment to much on it. I remember going over a huge bridge and the water was just beautiful!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:37 AM

375 posts, read 908,708 times
We came out here from CO as well to check out area. I did a VRBO for a month - you can usually manage to get a deal b/c it's the off season. It's VERY different from CO here so you might want to visit first to check it out. I agree that Wilmington has much more for young ppl, but both areas are nice! PM me if you'd like any other ideas.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Different is what I am looking for! CO is amazing dont get me wrong, but I absolutely hate being cold so the winter here is not for me. I dont snowboard or ski but I loove to do water sports. I hear the people are friendly and it is more of a slow-pace place to live so I am def open to try it out. The other reason why I was not planning on visiting before was because I would like to be fully moved in as little as 3 months!

Does anyone know about Dog friendly? That may include: dog parks, beaches that allow dogs (with a leash) those sort of things. I take my pup anywhere I can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina