Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 05:36 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,490 times

Advertisements

Hello ! My husband and I plan to move to the area in the next 6 months.
I would like to open a business in the Va Beach area, but not live there. We have been told that the Moyock area of NC is a little more rural , but within driving distance. Any suggestions about places/areas to stay away from, or experience with this area....or other towns to look into.

We plan on buying a small piece of land and putting a modular home on it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 02:57 PM

73 posts, read 458,230 times
Don't plan on coming HOME on Friday or Saturday nights until late during the summer (OBX beach traffic) or going NORTH on Sunday afternoons in Summer (ditto). Otherwise...piece of cake commute.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:19 PM

144 posts, read 679,906 times
Moyock is a great little town but it is not just a little more rural than VA Beach it is a lot more rural. If you are wanting to put in a modular there are not many neighborhoods that you can buy property in to put a modular home on. You will probably have to buy property that is not subdivided which means not less than 3 acres (as that's the smallest lot you can put a house like that on that's not subdivided). Most of the subdivisions are building homes although near about everything is stifled right now. One area you could look into would be the Quail Run Area or down Swamp Rd. towards Backwoods Road. Another area might be down Tulls Creek Rd. Some of the prettiest property is in the Quail Run area but you would also be close to Blackwater (which is not terrible but you will hear the guns shooting).

Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 8,341 times
We LOVE living in Moyock and commuting to Virginia. N.C. taxes are so much cheaper and you get more home and MUCH MORE land for a lot less than Virginia. The communte is no big deal and there are back roads to avoid summer tourist traffic.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 AM

Glad you love it in Moyock. We've lived here 10 years and we love it also. Let us know if there are any other questions.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 9,132 times
My family and I live in Virginia Beach right now and are thinking of buying in Moyock. I am curious about the schools. Can anyone comment on the quality of education at the schools in Moyock?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 AM

I have graduated two sons from the Currituck Co. School system and currently have a daughter in the Middle School. I have found the school system to be adequate. The classes are smaller than in some school systems and many of the teachers are excellent. The school system has received many awards from the state for excellence. Many of the people that I know here (which are quite a few since I am a Pastor of a Church) would agree with my assessment, but there would also be many who would disagree. They think the school system is terrible as they remind me whenever we get on the subject. There are certainly things I don't care for like the emphasis that is put on state testing. Just about most of the second half of the year is devoted to EOG testing and doing well on these state sponsored tests. Which most of Currituck does well on, but it seems as though that's all they care about sometimes. I'd like to see a little less focus on test scores and a little more on well balanced education and depth of subject matter. Alas, I speak as an armchair quarterback. As I said the school system is adequate and there are many good teachers and support staff involved. All in all I feel my kids have been well served here. Could there be improvement? Absolutely, but the same can be said of most schools. I'm not sure how they would stack up to VA BCH schools I'm sure they're better at some things and worse at others.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 9,132 times
Thank you for your response. I have done some research and feel confident that my children will be served well in the schools in Moyock as well.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 PM

9 posts, read 24,328 times
I am visiting this forum as we now live in Virginia Beach and I am thinking of moving down to NC for better housing options. I just wanted to say that as far as the schools emphasis on testing that is a very common complaint here too. The schools are just under so much pressure because how well they do seems to mean everything. Of course that pressure ultimately falls on the kids which is unfortunate.

My husband is stationed at NOB (Norfolk) and living here it usually takes him around 30 minutes to get home, sometimes much longer of course. I don't want his commute to be horrible but I am so sick of the housing costs here! We are from Alabama and we love space. About how long does it take from Moyock to get to NOB?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:31 AM

You're talking about at least a 45min. commute in good traffic. In bad traffic which is fairly frequent one to one and half hours. There are back ways around most things but even so they will add time to the commute. The only bright side I could maybe offer would be there are quite a few navy families living in Moyock and it is possible that a carpool buddy could make the commute a little more bearable. Many of those families live in the Eagle creek section of Moyock although they can be found through out most of the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina