Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 PM

451 posts, read 1,913,794 times

Advertisements

I think it's still just Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 8,478 times
Default it is a go!

I am sorry for not responding to everyone's posts since my friend set me up here and of course I was having trouble getting in and figuring this out. We didn't realize that a friend has a family member living fairly close to Greenville and after talking with them we decided to go for it. The cost of living was also key in our decision. We will probably miss many of the conveniences we are use to in Hinsdale and going to the city, but we are ready for a somewhat slower pace in life. Our daughter isn't living too far away which also makes it very appealing since she is pregnant with her first child. We probably won't be there until late spring, but I will be sure to remember to post my true thoughts once we are settled in. Who knows, maybe I will finally be able to get a degree in music. Thanks everyone.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 PM

150 posts, read 351,793 times
Congratulations on the decision! You will love being near your daughter and grandchild. Once you've had a chance to breathe, start a new post about what you're looking for in housing and we will try to help you.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,628,328 times
OP, the cost of living is definitely low in Greenville...it's going to be tough for us to find as nice a home as we had in Greenville. Hope you like it!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:18 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattyCathie View Post
I am sorry for not responding to everyone's posts since my friend set me up here and of course I was having trouble getting in and figuring this out. We didn't realize that a friend has a family member living fairly close to Greenville and after talking with them we decided to go for it. The cost of living was also key in our decision. We will probably miss many of the conveniences we are use to in Hinsdale and going to the city, but we are ready for a somewhat slower pace in life. Our daughter isn't living too far away which also makes it very appealing since she is pregnant with her first child. We probably won't be there until late spring, but I will be sure to remember to post my true thoughts once we are settled in. Who knows, maybe I will finally be able to get a degree in music. Thanks everyone.

Music is one of the top programs ECU is known for (along with medical, and teaching).

Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,536 times
Congrats! I loved living in Greenville and actually considered retiring there, all my people were from that part of NC. You will LOVE zipping to the beaches going south from town for a day trip, and the beautiful Outer Banks for a weekend (good shopping). And the weather will feel SO good to you... might even be hot in late spring! Riding bicycles is great fun, watermelon gatherings on ECU's older campus in summer, the trees are beautiful (make sure you get a house in an area with trees), and if you look at websites for Greenville and their newspaper, you CAN find out lots of stuff to do in the area. But you have been well-prepared for the shock of the South, how small and rural Greenville is, AND, as for beautiful shoes... you'll be looking for sturdy flip-flops. Smile.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:43 PM

101 posts, read 227,056 times
If purchasing shoes is your biggest priority Chicago is the place to be. If you want to get more for your money in housing, want open space, grass, an ocean nearby, be able to go sailing on the intercoastal waterways, Greenville kicks Chicago's butt in that area. It really a matter of what you want out of life.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:04 PM

466 posts, read 699,972 times
Congrats on the decision and good luck with the move! You will be amazed at how much real estate is in Greenville compared to the Chicago area.

Just a word of warning, what you consider a dusting of snow, those of us from NC will consider a blizzard!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times
And we get a day off for it. It is a good racket we all run well

Old 01-22-2011, 03:09 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
We didn't find the area particularly welcoming - to be completely honest, I was surprised that we didn't experience any "southern hospitality" whatsoever from our neighbors. None visited; just polite waves. They warmed up a bit after we had lived there a while. But we always seemed to get along a lot better with non-locals.
I've found the same thing. They acknowledge my right to exist and little else. I've given up inviting any native East Carolinians to my "events" like cookouts. I have found some people that have moved here and they do show up. One of them is from Rockingham County right here in NC and she gets the cold shoulder from her neighbors.

We non East Carolina types don't discriminate against anyone just because they're not Evangelical or Free Will Baptist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina