Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The antipathy many posters have for science is more than a little scary.

Science, especially predictive science, is not exact, but the research is exhaustive and peer reviewed. It is the best the community can come up with.

I wonder how many of these science bashers believe the earth is 4,000 years old. Regrettably a lot more than I would ever hope. These homespun experts offer no substantiated proof or research, just opinion or anecdotal "evidence." Wow! Some of you guys scare me.
I only offered real world experience concerning rising sea levels and the very scientific location of the statue of Liberty. Like I said before, it's been there for roughly 125 years with no measurable sea level change around the island that houses it.

Simple science. Simple math. No rebuttle.

When someone shows me a real world one inch rise in sea levels then I'll contemplate a hypothetical rise of one meter over the next 90 years. All I'm asking for is some real world proof that I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
"All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full"
Ecclesesiates 1:7

Heaven forbid anyone should doubt, debate or discount agenda driven "science".

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 01-19-2011 at 04:32 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 06:27 AM

805 posts, read 2,005,017 times
Just to keep things lively.... AND to preserve my sanity....

So, very calmly, it is always amazing to me that after example after example after example of "actual" happenstances... example after example of absolutely unfulfilled "predictions".... a Koolaid sipper simply poo poos those people as " we are thinking the world is 4000 yrs old" !

Just a few years ago, you may recall that "the scientists/meteorologists" predicted a massive blizzard of biblical proportions, "they" shut down the entire eastern seaboard, airports, trains, schools, government buildings, hot dog stands.... EVERYTHING, costing approximately a KABILLION dollars in lost business for the area..... in preparation for this blizzard that was coming TOMORROW, yes TOMORROW, just ONE DAY in the future.... I am here to remind everyone that not a single flake fell.... NOT A SINGLE FLAKE ! Examples of false forecasts and predictions like this are too prevalent to list...... and yet, the sippers of that icey drink still blindly cling to the idea that these "expert scientists and researchers" can predict with accuracy the rise and fall of the seas by inches, the rise and fall of temperature by a few degrees..... and for 50 to 100 years from now.

And THEN.... and THEN, when faced with "examples of actual happenings" like the one above.... these "drinkers", with blinders on and earplugs firmly in place, reach deep within their bowels again and say that the above absolutely factual example of the scientists' ridiculously poor powers of prediction and the other factual examples so proudly decribed in previous posts is { simply opinion or "anecdotal evidence " }..... yep, the world continues to amaze me.... it is indeed a wonderous place.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 AM

451 posts, read 1,914,389 times
Imagine the resistance Galileo Galilei must have encountered when he proved the earth revolved around the sun!

Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 AM

Yes... just imagine.... imagine someone simply acknowledging the FACT that the "scientists/researchers" have been wrong so many times about so many of their "predictions" of weather for ONE DAY IN ADVANCE.... and still the "sippers" blindly have "faith" that the very same "scientists/reasearcher" can predict with accuracy the weather ( water levels, temperatures ) for years and years from now..... I must repeat.... simply amazing....

Old 01-19-2011, 07:29 AM

451 posts, read 1,914,389 times
My issue is with the very BROAD swipes taken at the scientific community in general. I'm not trying to argue with everyone's real world experience.

LLN, I think we're on the same page.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 AM

MY issue is with the "broad swipe" at people with actual, factual examples of the bad predictions that do not come to pass. The "broad swipe" that the factual evidence that they present is "broadly" poo poo'd as inconsequential and the "misguided" faith in the "scientific predictors" is hailed as scientific even when it is disproven by history..... even though I will concede that my man Galileo happend to get "one" right hundreds of years ago.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
I only offered real world experience concerning rising sea levels and the very scientific location of the statue of Liberty. Like I said before, it's been there for roughly 125 years with no measurable sea level change around the island that houses it.

Simple science. Simple math. No rebuttle.

...and you know this how? Did you bring your trusty tape measure out there 125 years ago to compare?

Personally, I'm not the least bit interested in anecdotal evidence or "personal experience" as it relates to global warming. How in the hell is personal experience going to prove or disprove global warming? Did you sit there for 300 years and stare at the sea level in the Charleston harbor? Was the summer of 1927 warmer than last year? Who cares? It is statistical noise.

what is somewhat important is measurable climate data since the industrial revolution, but even then, you get different data that is interpreted in different ways, and suddenly all these political hacks come out of the woodwork pretending to be "experts" on the topic.

in my mind, it is simple. the earth is an ecosystem with finely calibrated biochemical inputs and outputs. Human beings are making MAJOR changes to these inputs, so it is just natural that we should expect changes to the output. Whether it can be measured or not is secondary in importance, and whether it can be stopped (and how) is a different topic altogether.

Last edited by le roi; 01-19-2011 at 09:34 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 01:25 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,905 times
There is a photographic history of the statue of Liberty from the time that it was constructed that is easily accessed on the internet. Looks to me like the water around it is in the same place as it was when that french dude constructed it. It's not scientific but it's rock solid fact and it's evidence that the sea hasn't risen in 125 years. I'll let the scientist use the tape measure. The burden of proof isn't on me, it's on the moron who claimed the sea is going to rise 3 feet in 90 years. That's a pretty bold statement to make with no "scientific" evidence to back it up.

And keep in mind that no one in this thread is doubting that industrialization of most of the globe over the last 100+ years hasn't had some effect on the environment nor has anyone advocated pollution. We're just not buying the "oh no the sea is rising and it's going to be a disaster" nonsense.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Here is a link to a report to the Governor of the State of NJ. I bring that up to balance the claim that the water line at the Statute of Liberty is constant over time. The statute is pretty close to NJ, for the geographically challenged.

Please also ensure you understand I am not stating that Sea Levels are going to drown us all, but if anyone thinks the environment is not being harmed, by artificial, man made means, now as opposed to any other 1,000 year stretch, well too bad.

The entire report is here: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...ouse_gases.ppt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina