Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 8,866 times

Advertisements

I was reading around on the forum and thought maybe I could get some wonderful advice from the great people of NC!

I have done a lot of computer searching, people talking and visiting (via google maps, as well as traveling to Wilmington) I feel like this is the town for me and my family. However...these are my questions. We are a family of 5, (kids 10 yrs & 6 yr old twins). We are looking for an area that has an active community with kiddo's and fun adults. I'm thinking the Kings Grant area...thoughts on that and any other suggestions?

Also, this is a personal question and I truly do not wish to offend ANYONE! We are not of the prominent LDS religion of Utah (our current location). We are however, Christian's and live a respectful life. I have a DEEP concern about how we will be accepted in NC, given the lack of acceptance that we receive here. Neighbors are not "allowed" to play with my children because they are not LDS. It is EXTREMELY confusing to our kids, because they are great children with a love for GOD, not a religion! OOOOHHH, I really hope I'm not offending anyone!!

Please give me some feedback on these issues, and be gentle, I have a big heart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 06:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Moderator Note:
thread relocated from state forum

Old 01-28-2011, 03:56 AM

8 posts, read 59,996 times
King's Grant is a bit less family-oriented than it used to be; some houses being rented to UNCW students. I don't think it's that much of a issue, though.

Regarding religion and intolerance: I don't think it's anything to worry about at all. While there are some intolerant people to be found anywhere you go, Wilmington doesn't have any more than it's fair share, and probably less. I'd certainly be surprised if anyone gave you grief for be any kind of Christian. North Carolina is still part of the bible belt, after all. On the whole, people here are generally friendly.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Yeah there isn't a near-complete cultural dominance of one church here like in Utah, so that sort of ingroup/outgroup dynamic is limited to individual churches which most everyone just ignores anyway. You'll definitely find it easier to fit in if you're part of a church, but it's more a matter of belonging to a church in general, not any specific denomination.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:13 AM

AWESOME!!! I would like to hear what more people have to say as well....so keep em' coming! Thank you Box of zip disks and Port city debaser!!!

I have lived in Utah my whole life (33 yrs) and have always felt "out of place", even though I grew up LDS, however I questioned it at a VERY young age and learned very quickly that we are not to question the church! I visited Wilmington for a total of 4 days at felt so welcomed and at home. I cannot wait to live there!!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
well, there is no official definition of 'bible belt' --

but historically, wilmington and the coastal areas of VA, NC, SC, or Georgia were not the "bible belt." that starts in the evangelical, baptist, scots-irish piedmont and foothills of the Carolinas, across Tennessee, and all the way into Oklahoma. Basically anywhere that's predominantly evangelical and/or baptist -- places like Tulsa, Nashville, Dallas, etc.

The coast was always where the heathens lived. And more specifically, Wilmington is one of the least religious places you will find in the state.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/geo/cour.../religion.html

Last edited by le roi; 01-28-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 10:03 PM

super helpful le roi! I knew deep down I was always a heathen, now I get to be with my people! We see a difference in being religious and being spiritual...we are definitely the latter.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:17 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,433 times
I think youll be fine.

the LDS isn't as common here as in utah (obviously LOL). a lot of folks go to church, but arent bible thumping crazies (usually LOL)

Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 PM

29 posts, read 102,552 times
I have a professor at uncw who is mormon, and everyone likes him.
You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina