Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,297 times

Advertisements

Myself, and 8 yr old child are possibly relocating to Morehead City. Am looking for any opinions on the area. I am in my early thirties, already have employment in the area (if we choose to move), not too concerned about the change of social scene, am interested in schools, neighborhoods, cost of living- fun activities for kids etc.....Please let me know what ya'll think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 07:32 AM

4 posts, read 9,589 times
Default Newport would be nice for you and your child

just west of Morehead, great schools.. lots of outside activities..only 4 or 5 miles into Morehead.. peaceful..and fun and just a nice place to call home.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:56 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,017,866 times
aMENshop is correct. The housing costs are so much cheaper in Newport proper compared to Morehead. And all of the great, new shopping and dining is on the west end of Morehead by Newport.
Just a heads up about Newport if you are house hunting. "Newport" in the Realtor's world is a very large area encompassing the town of Newport, western Carteret Co. and all along HWY. 24.
Some of the schools like Croatan High School have received national attention for their scholastic excllence.
Bill

Old 03-08-2011, 04:48 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,881,608 times
Speaking of "activities" I Hope every one has the Newport Pig Pickin on your calendar for next month.

Though Newport needs to hire a new web designer, IMO. I guess it does kind of add to the charm.

Newport Pig Cooking Contest

Newport, NC - Home Page

Welcome

Old 03-09-2011, 04:55 AM

107 posts, read 256,353 times
Morehead City has good schools, good shopping, medical facilities, etc all in the area...when you get out of Morehead City, everything is rural, which I like, There''s only about 65000 people in the county...So whether you want small town of 500 or big town of 10,000, Carteret County has it..

Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,740,982 times
Question regarding schools: I know Croatan High School is nationally acclaimed. What about East Carteret High School? Is it a good school? It doesn't have to be nationally acclaimed. But is it a safe school that offers college prep and AP classes with good quality teachers who care? And how does East Carteret HS compare to West Carteret High School? Thanks!

Hope y'all enjoy the sunshine down that way today!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:23 PM

i owuldn't go as far as saying East Carteret, by reputation is bad school, but it's a good one either. Mediocre at best. This may have more to do with the area it serves rather than a reflection of the faculty. Also at the to end it may be fine. In comparison, Havelock High is a nationally ranked school, but New Bern High has a few more opportunities at the top end. Despite not being ranked, West Carteret is a a great high school, and in some ways, may even be a more well-rounded experience than Croatan.

Of the 3 HS in Carteret, academically, no question it's Croatan, West, East. Also, Carteret may have an early college or a school of engineering that is available for enrollment for students county wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Question regarding schools: I know Croatan High School is nationally acclaimed. What about East Carteret High School? Is it a good school? It doesn't have to be nationally acclaimed. But is it a safe school that offers college prep and AP classes with good quality teachers who care? And how does East Carteret HS compare to West Carteret High School? Thanks!

Hope y'all enjoy the sunshine down that way today!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:12 PM

107 posts, read 256,353 times
East Carteret is probably better than alot of schools...kids may have a long bus ride from way down east, the school needs some new buildings, that has been put on hold..budget issues...but I would rather have my kids in Carteret County than anywhere...Now I have heard some good things about Topsail High also...so definitely scout out al the schools...

Old 03-13-2011, 08:59 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,740,982 times
Thanks for answering my questions about Carteret Co High Schools. We're not moving anytime soon. But I absolutely LOVE Beaufort and Morehead City. It's definitely on the list of one day hoping to own real estate there.

And honestly I don't care for how Pender County / Hampstead has developed in the last 25 years. (It seems there is no real planning commission.)

I appreciate you both sharing the school info. OP, hope I did not hijack your thread.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 PM

Not to say that the rest are horrible (though some are), and not to say there are not any individually great schools within the districts, but the only "superior" districts in Eastern NC are Dare, Craven, Carteret, and New Hanover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina