Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:43 PM

13 posts, read 60,408 times

Advertisements

I am interested in relocating to the Crystal Coast area. I currently live in Northeast Ohio, and I am getting pretty tired of the snow. Our economy is horrible as well. I was curious about the Crystal Coast area. Especially about the school system in Newport. How is the economy? Are houses selling? How is the unemployment rate? Is there a lot of opportunity. I am currently in Home Improvement Sales, and I am looking to start or purchase a business.
Any input would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 06:18 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varcj View Post
I am interested in relocating to the Crystal Coast area. I currently live in Northeast Ohio, and I am getting pretty tired of the snow. Our economy is horrible as well. I was curious about the Crystal Coast area. Especially about the school system in Newport. How is the economy? Are houses selling? How is the unemployment rate? Is there a lot of opportunity. I am currently in Home Improvement Sales, and I am looking to start or purchase a business.
Any input would be greatly appreciated

My brother and sister in-law live there and they have been there for about 9 years from NJ. Seems to be growing. They wanted us to move there but as far as jobs go there isn't much. My sister in-law works for Alltel and my brother in-law works construction they love it there but are constantly complaining about money . Homes are selling there and the prices are rising quickly. If you are in sales you would probably do well there. They love it and would never move. That's what they say. I had the opportunity to meet their neighbors and they were very warm and wonderful people.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:26 PM

do you know what school system they are in?????

Old 08-23-2006, 06:35 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
My niece lives in Beaufort, not far from Moorehead.
Her main complaint about the schools has been for a special needs child they adopted. Fortunately her husband is a social worker, and helped navigate the services they need.
Housing is going nuts there. Lots of big New York and New Jersey retiree money. They actually got a house for free. A guy from NJ wanted a piece of land on the water on Front Street. He gave them the house if they would move it. Of course, he built the requisite Mansion in its place.
Of course, the economy is not super and you have to adjust to the weather and the lifestyle (I grew up in Detroit, and kind of know where you are coming from) VERY laid back.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:59 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varcj View Post
do you know what school system they are in?????
She has a son in the 3rd grade I could swear he goes to school in Moorehead City. She seems pleased with it. I'm telling you they think they have found paradise there. It's not my cup of tea though. Yes it's very laid back. I like more life.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:13 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,744 times
I work at the Marine Air Base in Havelock, about 7 minutes from Newport. Will probably be relocating to Newport next summer. I understand the schools are ok. Newport is basically adjacent to Morehead, which is across the bridge from Atlantic Beach. If you like the beach you will like the area.
Real Estate is considered very expensive for East NC and rising quickly. I guess it just depends what you are used to. Check the prices on housing about 1 hour inland (west of New Bern) for a comparison.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 12,604 times
Default Heard of Cannonsgate?

Just joined and researching... got a flyer to come see a community called "CannonsGate" just below Mooreshead. Anyone heard of it?

And since I'm from the Northeast, high on the list of relocating worrries is hurricanes, although I seem to survive all the blizzards over the past 16 years ;-) Comments?

thanks for some of the info on schools, I have 9 and 11 year old girls and would be looking at "report cards" of middle/high schools

to clodhopper, a1m1700, and mhogan10010 -- thanks for the info provided!
varcj -- did you make a decision yet?

Old 01-25-2007, 09:20 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeCheo View Post
Just joined and researching... got a flyer to come see a community called "CannonsGate" just below Mooreshead. Anyone heard of it?

And since I'm from the Northeast, high on the list of relocating worrries is hurricanes, although I seem to survive all the blizzards over the past 16 years ;-) Comments?

thanks for some of the info on schools, I have 9 and 11 year old girls and would be looking at "report cards" of middle/high schools

to clodhopper, a1m1700, and mhogan10010 -- thanks for the info provided!
varcj -- did you make a decision yet?
I'm from the northeast as well (massachusetts) and received that very same flyer. It looked interesting enough but it is located on highway 24 and while I haven't been to the area yet (going in March) I do not like the idea of living on any main road (prefer back roads) so I threw it out.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:24 PM

Very expensive development. Seems to be in the planning stages at this time. The govenor of nc has a lot there. Carteret county schools are very good according to the NC report card.. I have heard that it is not the best location due to the amount of time it takes to get to the ocean past the barrier islands

Old 01-25-2007, 01:05 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
IMO, flooding from hurricanes is much, much worse than a blizzard. Three feet of snow is nothing compared to three feet of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina