Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:24 AM

79 posts, read 318,319 times

Advertisements

Good job Russ!

Link

In the end, everyone will lose with game fish bill « The Outer Banks Voice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 05:28 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
A few survey highlights on what the NC Consumer has to say about fresh, local seafood. Game fish status would ban certain types of locally caught fish from the general public

2008 NC Seafood Festival Survey by Amy Anderson,
UNC-Chapel Hill
• Total number of survey respondents: 339
• Eighty-one (81) percent expected coastal restaurants to
serve local seafood, 80 percent expected seafood
retailers to sell it, and 44 percent expected supermarkets
to offer it.
• Sixty-six (66) percent said they patronize restaurants
that serve local seafood, 71 percent select retailers who
sell it, and 30 percent select grocery markets that offer it.
• Ninety (90) percent were willing to pay a premium
price to ensure the seaf

• Local means “grown / harvested in my state.”
• Consumers believe local food is fresher, has
less chemical contamination and is of higher
quality.
• When it comes to food quality, 52 percent of
consumers say they buy local whenever
possible.
• Consumers are looking for authentic products
prepared in a “special place,” such as Copper
River Salmon.

2005 NC Seafood Festival
• Total number of survey respondents: 175
• Eighty-four (84) percent expected seafood purchased at
the coast to be locally caught.
• Ninety (90) percent expected seafood in local
restaurants to be locally harvested.
• Ninety-two (92) percent said they were inclined to
purchase local seafood over imports if given a
choice.
• Favorite commodities were shrimp, flounder, scallops,
oysters and blue crabs

Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
"• Favorite commodities were shrimp, flounder, scallops, oysters and blue crabs"

GAME, SET, MATCH.....None of these are the least bit affected by the Gamefish bill.

The facts keep gettin in the way of those that turn a blind eye to destruction of the resource and the incredible waste associated with netting of stripers, redfish, and sea trout.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:59 AM

LLN,
What? Are you now going to ban beets and celery because they aren't in the top five consumed vegetables? Who gives you this authority to determine what the general public has access to and what the general public can eat?

Stop by Captain Jim's Seafood on HWY 70 in Morehead City. Ask them what their most sold fish are. He will tell you Number one is Flounder and number two is Speckled Trout. You want to ban speckled trout from the general public and this runs contray to the wishes of the state of North Carolina.

The state of North Carolina wants to promote locally, fresh caught seafood and the the game fish status bill is diametrically opposed to this law.

18 SECTION 1. North Carolina Seafood Marketing Grant Program. – There is
19 established in the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services the North Carolina
20 Seafood Marketing Grant Program. The purpose of the Program is to provide funding to local
21 marketing programs that promote the increased purchase and consumption of North Carolina
22 seafood.
http://www.ncleg.net/Applications/Bi...=1237&SeqNum=0

LLN-This gamefish bill runs contray to what the goal of the state of North Carolina. It bans certain locally caught seafood from the tables, markets and restaurants. You and your crowd want to stop the general public from having access to these fish.

Bill

Old 03-27-2011, 06:29 AM
LLN

Bill, it was your data, not mine.

Bill, Why do you not tell these good people how many redfish can be brought to the fish house each day by commercial fisherman? Then why do you not estimate how many are wasted as by catch, or culled from nets. Finally, why do you not tell them the percentage of stripers that are sold to NY vs the amount of stripers that appear on menus in NC.

Bill, I have NEVER seen redfish on a menu and I have never seen stripers on the menu, either. Yep, trout are on the menus everywhere. No doubt about that.

Again, Bill, the issue is waste of a resource, how many fish are culled, die in nets and wasted so that some can be brought to market. I just can't believe that you continue to support such an inefficient and wasteful way to bring food to the table. Just don't get it.

Finally, have you heard about the upcoming rally in Raleigh to remove Largemouth Bass from gamefish status so they can be sold in stores and served in restaurants? Thought so, I have not either!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:42 AM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxfisherman View Post

Good job at looking foolish, you mean.

Are the three fish in question, stripers, redfish, and seatrout, fish for the people of NC or just for a select few?

I mean, that has been the netters' position, that the bill is to restrict access to a few (a non-sensical argument by the way) with the "$40,000 boats and the pastel shirts."

Now this yahoo comes along and is upset that folks from other than Dare County have an interest in these fish. In other words, he is arguing that these fish are for a select few. Wow!!

Someone from the "netters side" needs to give this guy the high sign...He is arguing against their position.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 AM

LNN-I've yet to see you post any facts on this matter but your diatribe seems to be greatly on the increase.
Fact-Recreational fishermen catch more of these fish than commercial fishermen do.
Fact- There is no scientific need or data that supports game fish status
Fact- The general public prefer fresh, locally caught seafood
Fact- The state of North Carolina supports fresh locally caught seafood and wants to promote it.
Fact- Gamefish status is counterproductive to this law

Can you constrain your posts to dealing with facts only?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 AM

79 posts, read 318,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Good job at looking foolish, you mean.

Are the three fish in question, stripers, redfish, and seatrout, fish for the people of NC or just for a select few?
I think you're the one who needs to answer that question.It has been and should continue to be a shared fishery!The problem is the mismanagement of the resource,not the commercial fisherman.The Rockfish issue with the trawlers could be resolved by having a fill and kill quota.

Ya want to see Rockfish on the menu at local restaurants?Come here,you'll find it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Now this yahoo comes along and is upset that folks from other than Dare County have an interest in these fish. In other words, he is arguing that these fish are for a select few. Wow!!
Having a bunch of clueless outsiders trying to dictate your way of life is enough to upset anyone!

If this bill is passed,it will come back and bite you,mark my words!These environmentalists are licking their chops!I've been a rec fisherman all of my life,but this isn't the way to resolve this issue.

I think about others,not just myself!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 AM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
LNN-I've yet to see you post any facts on this matter but your diatribe seems to be greatly on the increase.
Fact-Recreational fishermen catch more of these fish than commercial fishermen do.
Fact- There is no scientific need or data that supports game fish status
Fact- The general public prefer fresh, locally caught seafood
Fact- The state of North Carolina supports fresh locally caught seafood and wants to promote it.
Fact- Gamefish status is counterproductive to this law

Can you constrain your posts to dealing with facts only?
Bill, Bill, Bill..getting testy aye? If figures. I have posted facts. They are just inconvenient one to you.

Yes, I guess rec fishermen do catch more fish than commercial fisherman..of course they outnumber comms, what 1000, to 1...so your first fact is not too relevant.

I recommend you go to the NC DPI website and look over the standard course of study for 8th grade. One of the math objectives is surveys and statistics.

You would learn pretty quick, that asking people at a seafood festival about seafood, and then expanding the results to include the entire state of NC is really, really, really really, really, really bad. It is called a biased survey or biased sample, and it is not worth beans. That my friend is a fact.

Bill, no matter how much you want to keep netting and the killing thousands of fish (bycatch) just to bring a few to market, the indiscriminant netting of game fish is all but over. It may not be this year, but its days are numbered. And you know it. Another fact.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 AM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxfisherman View Post
Having a bunch of clueless outsiders trying to dictate your way of life is enough to upset anyone!
Choice. How has having a bunch of clueless insiders destroying the resource they depend on for wages worked out for you? Not all that good, I would opine.

Also I would appreciate the name of the restaurant that has redfish on the menu. I have heard about restaurant cooked red fish for years. Might want to stop by before it is taken off the menu for good. Thanks in advance.

Yes, I am more than willing to give up a tasty dish for the good of the fishery and the sport. I guess that meets y'all definition of greedy, somehow.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina