U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:18 PM

22,769 posts, read 28,776,379 times

Advertisements

if i had as much money as you

i'd probably be buying anything i could find for sale on summer rest road, or anything off airlie rd with a yard.

but then i dont have a clue about what y'all would like. I do see that Ferrari all the time, owned by the aforementioned fellow on River Rd. I think they own a whole fleet of super luxury cars.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:46 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,388,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
if i had as much money as you

i'd probably be buying anything i could find for sale on summer rest road, or anything off airlie rd with a yard.

but then i dont have a clue about what y'all would like. I do see that Ferrari all the time, owned by the aforementioned fellow on River Rd. I think they own a whole fleet of super luxury cars.

its been a loooooong time getting to this point. worth the wait (i guess, if i ever find a house LOL, but yeah looong time coming! lol)

as far as what we want - its a combination of want and need. my grandparents are going to be living with us, and so we either need space for essentially 2 families to live (and still have privacy), or a fully functional guest house for them (or room to build one).

as for me, i just want a pool and my own office space LOL

I just pulled up a listing on summer rest and ohhh pretty! too small for what we need though. and no pool. LOL

shhh dont tell hubby about the fancy cars! the LAST thing i need is for him to get any ideas!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM

22,769 posts, read 28,776,379 times
oh, but Summer Rest road DOES have a community pool.... they call it the intracoastal water way

that place on river road is a white elephant if you ask me. it'd be like buying the biggest house by FAR, in an average neighborhood.

plus, there's a stigma about river rd and the cape fear river. Local people i know joke that it is where people used to go "to dump bodies". You'd be downstream from all sorts of chemical holding facilities, and the sewage treatment plant. Regional leaders have abused the Cape Fear for 100+ years.

Towards Wrightsville, on the other hand, has always been protected by local leaders. It was where the rich people always vacationed..... almost zero industrial pollution there.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:18 PM

well, the landfall house is out of the running.

it just didnt give me the right vibe.

of course, they also had 2 of the yippiest, most annoying dogs ive ever heard who didnt shut up the whole time we were there. besides, that, i really dont think i would 'fit in' in landfall. maybe if i were concerned with what others thought of me i would, but im more of a 'if ya dont like me, go away' kinda gal. LOL

and where the heck are there mailboxes?????? i didnt notice it but hubby just pointed it out and we looked on google maps and dont see a single mailbox in the whole place? what? is the MAILMAN not allowed in either? LOL i really dont think of the postal service as much of a threat, unless maybe you work there

futch creek was nice, the interior was nice and updated, exterior looked like something out of the 70's but well maintained. but no room for a guest house. pretty yard, though.

think ill drown my sorrows in beer tonight. nothing like house hunting on a saturday morning with a hangover. maybe it will make us less picky. LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

something else i noticed - is that if i were to live in a neighborhood like that, i would expect a lot of kids. we drove all over, just looking at homes, and i didnt see ONE SINGLE bike, or soccer ball in the front yard or tricycle or ANYTHING. i know the kids are in school right now, so obviously not out playing, but theres always toys in my front yard- at least a bike or 2! very creepy....

Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 AM

11 posts, read 24,902 times
Default Stepford neighborhood...

So you've realized that Landfall is creepy!! The mailboxes are at the two main entries in little collected locking aluminum boxes. Irony, that a gated upper-class community has the same mail facilities as a bad apartment complex. I think it's a paranoia- don't trust delivery people. Creepy, generic, stale & souless....It is! No kids, families, etc.- cold, with overarching rules, etc. But you'd be in the same circle as Mayor Saffo & all the monied elites!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott28411 View Post
So you've realized that Landfall is creepy!! The mailboxes are at the two main entries in little collected locking aluminum boxes. Irony, that a gated upper-class community has the same mail facilities as a bad apartment complex. I think it's a paranoia- don't trust delivery people. Creepy, generic, stale & souless....It is! No kids, families, etc.- cold, with overarching rules, etc. But you'd be in the same circle as Mayor Saffo & all the monied elites!

yeah.... it really was rather creepy! LOL and personally, i like knowing my mailman and having the mail brought to my house, or least to a mailbox at the end of my driveway! LOL if i wanted to 'collect' my mail at a 'station', I'd just get a PO box! And youre right - it is JUST like an apartment complex- my moms mailbox is like that! LOL

Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 AM

16 posts, read 48,327 times
I've met some nice people from Landfall, but don't want to live or spend money on a country club lifestyle. Would probably run out of money pretty fast with the cost of the various memberships. It kind of reminded me of Albermarle Plantation further North. We looked at houses there and I asked an owner what she liked to do and the answer was drinks at the club during cocktail hour. Lots of golf, tennis, and I know they have a nice fitness center at Landfall. Someone mentioned Forest Hills in Wilmington and that is a pretty area but I talked to a person who had to move from there because again, residents mostly sent their kids to private schools. Since we are retired, we didn't look into the schools situation. You may be better off having a house built.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:41 PM

76 posts, read 151,480 times
Yes! to what Luminous said............we live in the Forest Hills area........beautiful, old trees, houses, et al....but my child goes to private school because the public school just didn't cut it.....

Lumionous -- there is alot to be said for not having to worry about the school issue when buying in Wilmington or for that matter anywhere in the SE United States!

Old 05-14-2011, 11:53 AM

yeah weve pretty much ruled landfall out based on what we saw when we looked at a house there (house was nice, neighborhood creepy LOL)

and... since we dont drink, play golf, or tennis, or really care what anyone thinks of us... i dont think we'd fit in.

house hunt is on hold for a bit (i had a thread about it not too long ago) due to hubbys illness, but were still keeping an eye on things and still planning on moving, but unless something amazing pops up out of nowhere (could happen!) it will be 'on hold' until he can get around a little bit better and without exhausting himself.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 AM

16 posts, read 48,327 times
Default Places to Live

There is a house for sale two streets over from us in the Cavalier Woods section. It's been on sale for a long time and I think it started out over $500K, went to around $485K, and is down to about $465K now. Two story brick with a circular drive. Really beautiful neighborhood. Being curious, I walked over and went through it during an open house. Don't think there's room for a pool. Again, I know nothing about the school situation here, and live on the less expensive street in Cavalier Woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina