Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 07:15 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times

Advertisements

Hello~

We will be visiting Beaufort next weekend to celebrate our daughter's 16th birthday. Are there any vegetarian-friendly places for us to eat within reasonable driving distance? Any type of cuisine and any type of atmosphere would be fine as long as we can find food. Also, are there any activities or attractions that we should be sure not to miss?

Thank you for any suggestions! I'll be happy to return the favor for the Triangle area.

Last edited by roscomac; 05-11-2011 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Not too much in the way of purely vegan/vegetarian places here. A couple of Chinese restaurants offer veggie or veggies with tofu. Or you could always go to one of our great fish restaurants and ask them to hold the fish and just have collards or okra, a sweet potato and cornbread. Thinking further, you can go to Ribeyes Steak House and get the salad bar and the baked potato which is really good as you can load it from the salad bar with fixins'. Clawsons offers Dirigibles which are loaded stuffed potatoes--they do have cheese on them, though.

No Name pizza joint, a half mile from downtown offers Eggplant Parm and various pasta dishes...their Greek Spinach Pie is pretty good.

To do? Bring your bikes and ride around, take one of the little ferries from Front Street and go delve into the dolphins or play with the wild ponies. Rent a kayak and go paddle, visit the Historic Site, ride their double decker bus on a town tour, ride in the horse-drawn carriage, go to Ft. Macon, go to Aquarium out in Pine Knoll Shores...

But best of all, with a 16 year old female in tow, give her some bucks and let her go shopping at all the cute boutiques while you enjoy something frosty overlooking the water.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! We don't need an exclusively veg place, just somewhere to get some food. The places you mentioned sound good!

Old 05-12-2011, 04:36 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
Gotta put my plug in for Beach Bunz downtown Morehead City. They have a great vegie Panini. I love it!
They make their own potatoe chips too!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:16 AM

I am posting this as a follow-up for anyone who may find this thread through a search.

The trip was BEAUTIFUL! We enjoyed seeing the area, taking a boat tour, shopping, and visiting with local artists. Very relaxing and wonderful.

We were able to eat and did not starve. Beaufort is tough. We did find subs and pizza at No Name. The only place in historic Beaufort that we found to eat was the salad bar at Ribeye's. (Thanks so much for the recommendations above!) I read every menu that I could find online, and I did not see any options. So I contacted all of the restaurants with an online presence and asked if their chefs would make something vegan. None responded.

We also ate in Morehead City, which is very close. There are several El Zarape locations, and they have a nice vegetarian menu. There is also a Panera Bread.

We stayed at a place with a fridge, so we picked up breakfast and snack items. We packed our own lunch to take out to Shackleford.

It's not a vegan paradise, but it's certainly worth the trip.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 PM

17 posts, read 40,602 times
So glad to have found this thread. I wasn't finding anything on vegan options in this area. I'll be in town for a family thing on a Sunday evening and it seems options are very limited, especially when factoring in one person is gluten-free. It sounds like Ribeye's may be the best bet. Are there no Indian, Thai or Vietnamese restaurants? We generally can find something at those type of places.

Thanks for any help. I remember the area fondly from visiting as a child but I wasn't vegan trying to eat out then!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
If anyone knows of a Indian, Thai or Vietnamese place along the Crystal Coast please let me know too! I hope I'm not off track here-But the area farms are open for business with plenty of yummy vegies for sale. Bogue Sound watermelons should be ready in a few weeks! Once you have a Bogue Sound watermelon everything else is just a big pickle.
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina