Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 14,904 times

Advertisements

We've designed a house for our golf course lot in Leland, NC and hope to begin engineering it to build in 2011. Does anyone have experience with geothermal systems? Given Wilmington's generally mild winters, we need to determine whether the extra expense will be worth the cost and effort. Are they cost effective for hot, humid summers? Will they save much money in the long run? Builders seem to be trying to discourage geothermal. Thanks for any advice. C&D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 AM

2,692 posts, read 3,379,786 times
when we bought our house it already had geothermal.
we love it and the whole idea behind it. we do have a seperate well for the geothermal and
have an open loop system that spills water out way down in our back yard pond.

it will be hard to compare utility cost unless your living circumstances are
identical to ours . O'Brien heating and Air replaced one of our units and they are very passionate about
geothermal.

several heating and air companies in Wilmington install these and it is
ideal for this climate.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm glad to hear this as I was under the impression that geothermal is better for cold climates than warm. Appreciate the referral - that would be our next question! C&D

Old 09-23-2010, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted Travelers View Post
We've designed a house for our golf course lot in Leland, NC and hope to begin engineering it to build in 2011. Does anyone have experience with geothermal systems? Given Wilmington's generally mild winters, we need to determine whether the extra expense will be worth the cost and effort. Are they cost effective for hot, humid summers? Will they save much money in the long run? Builders seem to be trying to discourage geothermal. Thanks for any advice. C&D
AIR by Design, Inc is not an air conditioning company, but a Residential HVAC Designer. I provide the plans for everthing about the HVAC system that is based on your inputs and the building design. We are also Energy Star raters and can provide computerized analysis on "What Ifs" such as the payback for a geothermal system over an air source heat pump.

We also project manage the job to ensure that it is installed as designed and meets all the quality criteria of the job.

Please give me, Bill Hill, a call at 910-791-3006 and I can answer any questions you may have and get you started on the right path.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Hi Bill - For a 3,100 sq foot house, which we assume would mean a 4 or 5 ton unit, what would be the range of monthly savings in dollars for electricity costs? Thanks -

Old 10-06-2010, 04:24 PM

519 posts, read 1,372,271 times
I am from the north but from a cost point standard it was well worth the money when we built our house. My electric is an average of 200 to 220 (which is my heat and air included) on average for a 3400 sq. ft. I would also freeze not having my geothermal I would not be able to keep it as warm of cool. Best of luck....

Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,252 times
Default Geothermal Heat Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted Travelers View Post
There is a company called Go Geothermal Green that is based in Wilmington who specialize in that system. The owner's name is Bobby Jackson and he installed a open loop geothermal system in my house. My heat pump was leaking and I knew I had to do something. I had to pay some down and finance the rest but I love the new system. My electricity bill is less than half of what it used to be and I just got back my tax credits. The website is [url=http://www.gogeothermalgreen.com]Go Geothermal Green - 910.262.2606[/url].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina