Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 PM

3,250 posts, read 9,148,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For some reason, I expected downtown to be real deep-south classy and wealthy (like Charleston, SC), but it's really more like grungy, tattooed, and drunk
There is also a LOT of B&B's right in the area of 3rd Street down to the River Front from about Market St to about Nun St. Lots of shops and restaurants right ON the River Front in that area too. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 03:29 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,445,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
There is also a LOT of B&B's right in the area of 3rd Street down to the River Front from about Market St to about Nun St. Lots of shops and restaurants right ON the River Front in that area too. Liz
Yeah, I didn't mean to say that the entire town was "grungy and drunk", lol - there are definitely nice cafes, B&B's, coffee shops, sushi bars, bookstores, and restaurants of every variety. You can go to an expensive Thai or French restaurant, or you can go hang out at the communist bar, a Laundromat/bar/concert venue, or lots of nasty hole-in-the-wall bars and pool joints. Basically my point is that you wouldn't expect a small place like Wilmington to have as much weirdness as it does.

I just meant that I expected Wilmington to be more like Savannah or Charleston, which it is not.

Last edited by anonymous; 08-15-2007 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-15-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I just meant that I expected Wilmington to be more like Savannah or Charleston, which it is not.
That's true...it isn't. I thought it would have been too. Liz

Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 PM

16 posts, read 78,510 times
Default Wilmington area

Hey Cleveland,

Setting aside that traffic will be bad in any area in and around Wilmington, we settled on a home just north of Wilmington off Hwy 17 around Portersneck. There are plenty of options for homes, apartments, condos in this area and I feel as safe as you can feel anywhere these days in this general area. The added benefit is it is close to shopping and dining and everything Wilmington has to offer and close to Wrightsville Beach and Topsail Beach. I personally just love the area. I have read other posts in the past few weeks about nice apartments at reasonable prices out this way. Just check back at a few earlier posts. It is also very close to the newest shopping in the Wilmington area, Mayfair, which has alot of upscale shopping and plenty of restaurants.

Good luck on your search!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:43 PM

14 posts, read 56,454 times
Yeah, I think that traffic is inevitable wherever you go, unless you're in a very small town. As long as I'm not backed up like I would be in New York City, then it is not a huge issue of mine. Thanks for the advice about that area, it sounds like the sort of area I am shooting for. The thing I am having trouble with, aside from trying to picture a city I have never stayed in, is finding an affordable apartment. I have to do everything online, and while I find condos, homes, and expensive apartments, I am not having any luck finding apartments within my price range. Are apartments not as readily available like the are here in Cleveland, or are the communities simply not advertising on the web? Maybe my expectations are just too high, trying to find a 2 bedroom apartment for about $700/ month.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,445,343 times
I had a hard time finding something decent between $500-700 per month. Once you get between $700-$850, you'll get more options.

I rent from Wilmington NC house rentals -property management - CENTURY 21 Sweyer & Associates
and also, craigslist.org has lots of options.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 73,304 times
I lived downtown on Red Cross Street by myself before moving to the "suburbs" with my family. I loved it! Yes, be careful alone at night, but I never felt scared. There are usually people around and things to do, and I think that downtown's "weirdness" is what gives it character. Plus, the downtown "weirdness" is balanced by the normalcy of the rest of Wilmington!

Old 09-01-2007, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcleveland View Post
My boyfriend are hoping to move to North Carolina from Cleveland, but are unsure of where. We are thinking either Wilmington or Myrtle Beach, SC. His parents live in Shalotte, NC and while we don't want to live there, we want to be close. I've never been to Wilmington, except for briefly driving through it, and I just want to get a general description if it. I am interested in going back to school, so it seems like Wilmington might be the better option in that regard. We don't want to live in an area that is all about going out all the time, but we want to live in a nice area, where we can have the option to go out. I have heard some mixed reviews about Wilmington. Some say that the crime is really bad, and some say that it isn't. I'm not too worried about crime, I mean I am, but I live in Cleveland, which generally has a lot of crime, but not in the area I live in. I think that there is crime everywhere, you just have to avoid it, and find the right part of town. Which brings me to the point. Which areas of Wilmington are safe, but not secluded? Fun, but not too loud and crazy? What parts to stay away from? We are mid- 20's, just to give you an idea. We found one apartment that we really like, but it sounds too good to be true. I hope that doesn't mean it is in a bad area. Thanks!

Hampstead is on the outskirts on Wilmington, thats where I live and it's nice and peaceful.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcleveland View Post
My boyfriend are hoping to move to North Carolina from Cleveland, but are unsure of where. We are thinking either Wilmington or Myrtle Beach, SC. His parents live in Shalotte, NC and while we don't want to live there, we want to be close. I've never been to Wilmington, except for briefly driving through it, and I just want to get a general description if it. I am interested in going back to school, so it seems like Wilmington might be the better option in that regard. We don't want to live in an area that is all about going out all the time, but we want to live in a nice area, where we can have the option to go out. I have heard some mixed reviews about Wilmington. Some say that the crime is really bad, and some say that it isn't. I'm not too worried about crime, I mean I am, but I live in Cleveland, which generally has a lot of crime, but not in the area I live in. I think that there is crime everywhere, you just have to avoid it, and find the right part of town. Which brings me to the point. Which areas of Wilmington are safe, but not secluded? Fun, but not too loud and crazy? What parts to stay away from? We are mid- 20's, just to give you an idea. We found one apartment that we really like, but it sounds too good to be true. I hope that doesn't mean it is in a bad area. Thanks!

Hampstead is on the outskirts on Wilmington, thats where I live and it's nice and peaceful.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
It is, but it is on the other side of Wilmington from where they said they wanted to be;
Quote:
We are thinking either Wilmington or Myrtle Beach, SC. His parents live in Shalotte, NC and while we don't want to live there, we want to be close.
Hampstead to Shallotte is over 55 miles. Hampstead to Wilmington is 17 miles. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina