Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:38 AM

43 posts, read 208,435 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family and I are thinking about coming to the coast next week after the holiday to stay for a few days, but we just moved here so I have no idea where to stay on the beach. We do not need anything fancy, just somewhere close to the beach where the kids can play.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or places that you know are nice to stay. We will be coming from the Raleigh/Cary area.

Thanks so much!
Alexis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 06:32 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,965 times
From Raleigh you could just take 70 into Morehead City and hit Atlantic Beach, which is definitely one of the cleanest/prettiest on this coast. Head south (if I remember, from Atlantic Beach, it would be 58 to 24 to 17; or head west on 70 to New Bern and get on 17 there) to Topsail for a laid back and relaxing experience with less of a crowd and probably a lower cost.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:09 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,023,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiMiller View Post
Hi! My family and I are thinking about coming to the coast next week after the holiday to stay for a few days, but we just moved here so I have no idea where to stay on the beach. We do not need anything fancy, just somewhere close to the beach where the kids can play.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or places that you know are nice to stay. We will be coming from the Raleigh/Cary area.

Thanks so much!
Alexis
My dh and I visited emerald isle/atlantic beach area in march and loved it. we stayed at the atlantis right on the beach. our room had sort of a '70s theme going BUT it was very clean and spacious. it's not an expensive high end hotel but again it's right on the beach and they allow pets. definitely visit the aquarium. It's great.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,866 times
I'm in the mountains and looking forward to my 1st trip to the Outer Banks! There are lots of vacation homes for rent, just google and you should find lots of info. Have fun!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,965 times
Oh yeah, from Morehead City you can continue up 70 to Cedar Island and take a ferry across to Ocracoke which has a neat small shopping "district". A small drive across the island will get you to another ferry to Hatteras Island, which was always my favorite.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,249,488 times
Default Beach next week

After the holiday next week my husband and I are going down to Atlantic Beach for a few days with our dog and staying in a pet-friendly bed and breakfast in Beaufort. There are many great restaurants in the area and a lot of things children can do. Have fun. kelsie

Old 09-01-2007, 09:17 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,549 times
Holiday Inn at Nags Head, the Outer Banks, is right on the beach and near Jockey's Ridge State Park, an amazing and huge sand dune where hang gliders go. Don't stay at a cheap motel. Four-hour drive, go the 264 way. On the way back out, stop at the pink shell shop on the beach road.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I would do some homework and you can find some killer great rates on vacation rentals This one I like in Avon is just 525 for seven days 4 bedroom 2 1/2 batch hottub pool there alot of similar type I just wanted to get you an idea you can be plosh at incredible price during the off season just watch forcast in September due to that peak hurricane season ..travel insurance might be wise investment.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:11 AM

419 posts, read 1,397,921 times
Although the outer banks is beautiful, it takes over 4 1/2 hours to get to from Raleigh. I'd recommend Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, or Atlantic Beach for a short trip. If your going to Atlantic Beach, check out the Clamdigger Inn. The rooms aren't fancy but they are all ocean front. Weekday rates run around $70 / night. I've attached a link.

Clamdigger Inn

Old 09-03-2007, 08:56 AM

197 posts, read 958,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giffman View Post
Although the outer banks is beautiful, it takes over 4 1/2 hours to get to from Raleigh. I'd recommend Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, or Atlantic Beach for a short trip. If your going to Atlantic Beach, check out the Clamdigger Inn. The rooms aren't fancy but they are all ocean front. Weekday rates run around $70 / night. I've attached a link.

Clamdigger Inn
I agree. Much shorter drive to go to Topsail or New Hanover area beaches (Wrightsville, Carolina, Kure) from Raleigh on I-40.
Ditto on the Clamdigger if you go to Atlantic Beach. Great rates and all oceanfront rooms-- used to have waitress service on the beach (great!) a few years ago, not sure about now, and esp. after Labor Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina