Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 04:56 PM

14 posts, read 56,761 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend are hoping to move to North Carolina from Cleveland, but are unsure of where. We are thinking either Wilmington or Myrtle Beach, SC. His parents live in Shalotte, NC and while we don't want to live there, we want to be close. I've never been to Wilmington, except for briefly driving through it, and I just want to get a general description if it. I am interested in going back to school, so it seems like Wilmington might be the better option in that regard. We don't want to live in an area that is all about going out all the time, but we want to live in a nice area, where we can have the option to go out. I have heard some mixed reviews about Wilmington. Some say that the crime is really bad, and some say that it isn't. I'm not too worried about crime, I mean I am, but I live in Cleveland, which generally has a lot of crime, but not in the area I live in. I think that there is crime everywhere, you just have to avoid it, and find the right part of town. Which brings me to the point. Which areas of Wilmington are safe, but not secluded? Fun, but not too loud and crazy? What parts to stay away from? We are mid- 20's, just to give you an idea. We found one apartment that we really like, but it sounds too good to be true. I hope that doesn't mean it is in a bad area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 05:20 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Depends on what part of Wilmington you live in as to how bad the crime is....some tend to lump the statistics all together. But if you break it down by zip code, it isn't as bad.

Check this thread for the break down:
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...-new-bern.html

I live in Belville (which shares the Leland zip code) and is right across the bridge from Wilmington. Leland's crime index is a 79 on that same scale.

Even parts of the 28401 zip code which is high according to that list depends on where in that zip code. You see, that covers the entire downtown. And while most of it is bad, it depends. Some of it isn't and it depends on what type of crime too. They average the personal and property crime to come up with the total figure. Personal is 150 for that area, Property is 239 and the average is 210.

Now, before you decide to move, I would make sure you have a firm job offer. Wilmington IS expensive compared to the rest of NC. I ran our income thru a COL database and came up with this:
Quote:
it's 3.2% more expensive to live in Wilmington, North Carolina than Cleveland-Lorain-Elyria, Ohio
So it's not much more expensive but it is a tiny bit more.

Now, the flip side...Myrtle Beach...you have more to do in the summer. You have the crowds, the shopping, etc. However, in the winter, the town almost dies. And I did the same thing to MB, ran our income thru a COL database:
Quote:
it's 4.3% more expensive to live in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina than Cleveland-Lorain-Elyria, Ohio
That should answer your question on crime and COL...I know you will have more. Liz

Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 PM

Hey, thanks for the info. I think that we have decided on the Wilmington area, I'll have to check out the Leland and the surrounding areas. We're leaning toward Wilmington because I'm interested in UNC- Wilmington. Myrtle Beach would be nice too, but I would like a place that is more "year- round". We do plan on having jobs lined up before we make the leap, but it is nice to know that it is more expensive, I wasn't expecting that, luckily it isn't too much of a hike.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
We do plan on having jobs lined up before we make the leap, but it is nice to know that it is more expensive, I wasn't expecting that, luckily it isn't too much of a hike.
The difference in expense is WHERE it is...utilities are cheaper, house insurance is less but then they hit you with an added cost of wind/hail insurance and flood insurance that is NOT covered by your standard house insurance policy. See this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...tal-towns.html

Car insurance is usually cheaper. Food is about the same. Housing...well, that is not that much cheaper. You can find a reasonably nice 2/3 bedroom, 1500 sq ft house in a decent neighborhood for about 180,000-200,000 but it takes some REAL looking. If you use the search feature for DMV and limit it to just NC, you will find all the threads about how NC handles that.

For housing, Brunswick Co and Pender County are cheaper in taxes and if you stay outside the city limits of New Hanover County.

Any other questions, just ask. Liz

Old 08-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Well, as of right now, we plan on renting. We are having a hard time finding a place on the internet. Any good sites for apartment hunting? Any that apartment communities that you suggest? We would like to spend about $700 a month. No more than $800. Is this unreasonable?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
We are having a hard time finding a place on the internet. Any good sites for apartment hunting? Any that apartment communities that you suggest? We would like to spend about $700 a month. No more than $800. Is this unreasonable?
Not unreasonable...it can be done.

Check these threads for more info...there is apt info buried in them if I remember correctly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...like-some.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...on-august.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ilmington.html
This last one had some good ideas for sites to check out.

Also check out
Apartments for Rent and Homes for Rent
Apartments.com - Free Nationwide Apartment Search with the Most Visual Rental Listings Online.
Move.com - Find Apartments & Homes For Rent
ApartmentGuide.com - apartments for rent, apartment finder
Liz

Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 PM

I've got a lot of research ahead of me! Thanks for all the great stuff!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:51 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcleveland View Post
Well, as of right now, we plan on renting. We are having a hard time finding a place on the internet. Any good sites for apartment hunting? Any that apartment communities that you suggest? We would like to spend about $700 a month. No more than $800. Is this unreasonable?
$700/month is reasonable. I rent a 1200 sq foot 2br/1ba unit for $750/month. It's within walking distance of all the downtown bars and restaurants.

You can probably find something cheaper around UNCW, although I'd personally prefer to live downtown.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:10 PM

anonymous, I was hoping you would chime in....Liz

Old 08-15-2007, 02:01 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcleveland View Post
I've never been to Wilmington, except for briefly driving through it, and I just want to get a general description if it.
I'm also in my mid-20's, and have lived here for about 6 months. I'd also never visited before I moved here.

Quote:
We don't want to live in an area that is all about going out all the time, but we want to live in a nice area, where we can have the option to go out.
Downtown and Wrightsville Beach are the two areas with nightlife. The Wrightsville crowd seems a little more wealthy, trendy, somewhat exclusive, fraternity/sorority crowd, lots of surfers. Downtown is eclectic and artsy, yet trashy, and things will get pretty crazy sometimes on the weekends. Downtown seems to have lots of transplants and tourists.

There is a lot to do in downtown Wilmington, especially for a couple. You could probably go out every night of the week - right now I live like I'm still a sophomore in college. For some reason, I expected downtown to be real deep-south classy and wealthy (like Charleston, SC), but it's really more like grungy, tattooed, and drunk

Quote:
I have heard some mixed reviews about Wilmington. Some say that the crime is really bad, and some say that it isn't. I'm not too worried about crime, I mean I am, but I live in Cleveland, which generally has a lot of crime, but not in the area I live in. I think that there is crime everywhere, you just have to avoid it, and find the right part of town. Which brings me to the point. Which areas of Wilmington are safe, but not secluded?
Yeah, downtown has crime. As far as I know, the suburbs are safe. I wouldn't raise children downtown, nor would I prefer to walk around by myself there at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina