U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:22 PM

279 posts, read 539,017 times

Advertisements

As a few of you know that I've had the opportunity to introduce myself to, we are moving to NC in the next 1-2 years. Between the two of us, we've lived in Georgia, Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia Beach- so I hope I'll hear few complaints about us Northerner's (we currently live in New Hampshire) invading your space. We fled north for my FH to go to law school. That being said, Wilmington sure is tricky. We're set on moving down because my business partner is already there and thus, when we take our online-based business to a new level (not merely online but a physical location too), we need to be in the same place. Additionally, FH has family in NC, I do in VA, and the Carolinas are the one place we have both agreed we could live the rest of our lives happily. My business partner and very best friend churns out a lot of info and advice, but sometimes it's clear her opinions as skewed as to what suits her best, not really what would suit me best. Thus, I thought I'd get some objective opinions from you folks on here. I'll own my own business so that really isn't my concern. Rather, (yes even in these hard economic times) FH, myself and the kids will be moving to Wilminton when he graduates law school here regardless of whether he has a job there yet or not. My business partner has told me, as I've noticed the same in a few posts on here, that jobs are terrible there, but not necessarily so if you are a dr, lawyer, etc. Is this true? Some people seem overly positive and others so negative that I can't seem to find the happy medium here= the truth lol. FH is in his second year now, awarded as a New England Scholar and is on the Law Review with two internships under his belt, so I think he's beyond being on the right track, but it wouldn't matter how well he did if there's not a single job opening in Wilmington- get my drift?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 03:24 PM

10,517 posts, read 20,518,710 times
Is there an actual specific question you are asking? Seems like you are just "thinking out loud"

Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 AM

Lol perhaps you are right. I was questioning the actual desparity of the job market down there. All the previous threads I've looked up say either A) theres nothing, or B) there's nothing unless you're a dr, lawyer, dentist... I'm hoping more for the latter with him being a lawyer. So my question is: I don't want to know what it's like for the majority of the population to try and find a job there- I want to know what it's like for a lawyer lol

On a side note- I was shocked when I looked up Wilmington's states on here yesterday:
For population 25 years and over in Wilmington:

• High school or higher: 83.0%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 31.0%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 8.5%
  • Unemployed: 8.5%
  • Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.2 minutes
[LEFT]
Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Wilmington-North-Carolina.html#ixzz1WnYVjWeP

The job market seemed bad to me at first. But if there's honestly a 52% gap between those with bachelor's degrees and those without (high school diplomas, associate degree or certificates)- then I think that explains why a lot of people aren't getting jobs. No offense to those not holding a bachelor's of higher. I just mean- in that area- if someone without a bachelors has 31% of the population to compete with that does- it doesn't surprise me that they aren't being employed. That being said, those with degrees that are struggling to find work- I would blame on the economy and the fact that while Wilmington has much to offer- it doesn't have as much as other areas that they likely could gain employment in (Hampton Roads, Va, Raleigh, etc) Thoughts on that anyone?
[/LEFT]

Old 09-02-2011, 09:11 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,285,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
My business partner has told me, as I've noticed the same in a few posts on here, that jobs are terrible there, but not necessarily so if you are a dr, lawyer, etc. Is this true?
it isn't just wilmington, it is the coastal carolinas in general.

i will give you an example -- i know a neurosurgeon who has 2 offers. One is in Charlotte, for $1.2 million / year. The other is on the coast, for $350,000/year. Hence the local idiom that we all get paid in "beach bucks and sunshine dollars."

Demand for skilled workers here is low, and supply is extremely high; it isn't sufficient to look at local labor force stats, since so many folks in Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, Columbia, Atlanta, etc., are open to moving here. This is particularly bad for people like doctors and lawyers, who can generally practice wherever they want. The coastal markets are saturated with doctors and lawyers; the "big money" here is not local doctors and lawyers, but out of town doctors and lawyers who made their money in larger metro areas.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:18 AM

11,900 posts, read 21,826,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i know a neurosurgeon who has 2 offers. One is in Charlotte, for $1.2 million / year. The other is on the coast, for $350,000/year.
This is a good example. If I were that neurosurgeon, I would take the job in Charlotte, as I could buy a beach house for the difference. I have seen other examples on this board of medical people who would like to live on the beach, but don't seem willing to take a lower salary.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,285,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
This is a good example. If I were that neurosurgeon, I would take the job in Charlotte, as I could buy a beach house for the difference. I have seen other examples on this board of medical people who would like to live on the beach, but don't seem willing to take a lower salary.
him and i had long discussions about this topic.

i lived next door to the vacation home of one of these "Northern Virginian living in Charlotte" types. I'd watch the misery they called "vacation", the stress, the unloading and reloading it took, yelling at the kids, causing a scene, and it reminded me how much better it was to actually live here.

I might take the $350k.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,727,924 times
There are 41 pages of listings for attorneys in the Wilmington yellow pages. You have to wonder if that isn't an overcrowded profession around here.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:18 AM

Where did you findd that? When I went to yellowpages.com- it said 526 in Wilmington (obviously that includes a lot of ads for lawyers that arent really in the area and duplicates for the same firms etc). I looked up attornies in our hometown in Maryland- a small place (population around 20K) and there are 83 there. Most of which I know (with my father being in the law profession) or my FH knows. I don't know of any of them that aren't doing well for themselves. Based solely on that comparison- I'd say if there really is only 41, that isn't a lot in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
There are 41 pages of listings for attorneys in the Wilmington yellow pages. You have to wonder if that isn't an overcrowded profession around here.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:35 PM

412 posts, read 1,145,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
Lol perhaps you are right. I was questioning the actual desparity of the job market down there. All the previous threads I've looked up say either A) theres nothing, or B) there's nothing unless you're a dr, lawyer, dentist... I'm hoping more for the latter with him being a lawyer. So my question is: I don't want to know what it's like for the majority of the population to try and find a job there- I want to know what it's like for a lawyer lol

On a side note- I was shocked when I looked up Wilmington's states on here yesterday:
For population 25 years and over in Wilmington:

• High school or higher: 83.0%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 31.0%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 8.5%
  • Unemployed: 8.5%
  • Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.2 minutes
[LEFT]
Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Wilmington-North-Carolina.html#ixzz1WnYVjWeP

The job market seemed bad to me at first. But if there's honestly a 52% gap between those with bachelor's degrees and those without (high school diplomas, associate degree or certificates)- then I think that explains why a lot of people aren't getting jobs. No offense to those not holding a bachelor's of higher. I just mean- in that area- if someone without a bachelors has 31% of the population to compete with that does- it doesn't surprise me that they aren't being employed. That being said, those with degrees that are struggling to find work- I would blame on the economy and the fact that while Wilmington has much to offer- it doesn't have as much as other areas that they likely could gain employment in (Hampton Roads, Va, Raleigh, etc) Thoughts on that anyone?
[/LEFT]
The statistics are not telling the full story (as is usually the case with statistics). We have a huge community college here so that 83% high school and above probably includes a lot of 2 year technical degree graduates.

That said, I think even people with bachelor's degrees struggle because the pay scale is lower here. I have a master's degree and I'm really not making that much money for my degree and experience (I graduated 11 years ago and currently making approx. what my fellow graduates who were moving to other cities were being offered as a starting salary 11 years ago).

If the cost of living were lower to make up for the lower pay, it would be fine. But the cost of living here is just as high as Raleigh/Charlotte/etc. because of the demand to live here.

I guess you just have to experience it to fully realize the situation.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:53 PM

610 posts, read 2,850,170 times
I am the original creator of the "No Jobs in ILM thread."

I have a bachelor's degree (in a not so good subject) and spent six months applying for "bottom of the rug" jobs like dishwasher, janitor, stocker, security guard, busser, etc. I didn't receive one call back the entire time I was in Wilmington.

I went to a hiring event for Yosake Japanese Restaurant. I filled out an application and meet face-to-face with one of the owners of the restaurant. He looked at my application and told me I was overqualified to do any type of work there(busser, dishwasher, waiter) and that he could not offer me a position.

I did end up getting hired on as temporary laborer for a pressure washing company but the job did not last long (1 month).

So to sum it up, the job market in Wilmington SUCKS. In my opinion, most of the "money" there comes from people who lived somewhere else (Northeast) and decided to retire in the Wilmington area.

If you want to find a place with jobs, head to North Dakota; that is what I plan on doing. There are so many jobs up there it is surreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina