Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,676 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! I know versions of this question have been asked before, but I couldn't find any that really catered to my situation.

I just graduated from college in the Dallas, TX area and am looking at moving to Jacksonville. My boyfriend just got stationed there after 2.5 years in the Marines. He's a LCpl and we are unmarried. We lived together at his training school for 9 months and he ghosted (kept a barracks room but lived in our apartment), which is what we're planning on doing again.

My major concern is that I won't be able to find a job out there. My degree is in journalism (specifically advertising and marketing). I've waited tables for years, but I'd like to find a "real" job now that I've got my degree. I would also be interested in teaching, and the NC requirements seems fairly straightforward. However, I've searched around the web a little and haven't been able to find any jobs in my field. I thought maybe some locals might have some advice. Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aes0152 View Post
My major concern is that I won't be able to find a job out there. My degree is in journalism (specifically advertising and marketing).
The Jacksonville paper has a website: News Source for Jacksonville, North Carolina - jdnews.com It has links to other local papers, like the Topsail Voice. It might be easier to find a job with a small paper.

The Wilmington Paper is Wilmington NC: Latest news, sports, weather | StarNewsOnline.com

The Marines also publish papers, and there is a specialized web site for Camp Lejeune jobs.

Frankly, it may be difficult to find a job. There are many young wives among my neighbors without kids who look, and can't find anythink appropriate.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
The complaints for jobs in Jacksonville are the same for jobs in Wilmington. The myth that there are no job there is just that. The issue is this, there are a lack of unskilled jobs. Better yet, too much competition for unskilled labor. If their were no jobs there every other thread about Jacksonville would not be about someone transferring there for work. (The other threads are ones like your with someone moving to be close to a BF or spouse,lol)

The fact that you have a degree actually puts in you in more advantageous position than your average young GF or spouse who is only qualified to wait tables or work a cash register. Granted it's not easy anywhere, and as Goldenage posted, you may have to expand your search beyond the city limits of Jacksonville. I knew someone who's husband was stationed at Cherry Point in Havelock, and she worked for the News-Argus in Goldsboro, about 1.5 hrs away. Also, with the military community, a lot employers see turn-over in positions quite often. This same person left the paper when her husband got orders elsewhere.

Back when I used to listen to commercial radio, I'd constantly hear Beasley broadcasting group advertising for people in sales, commission based. Here is their website.

Jobs/EEO | V103.3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina