Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:07 PM

10 posts, read 30,370 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to the Camp Lejeune area for work. It looks like I'll be on base, around Courthouse Bay area.
From what I've searched, it looks like I'd enjoy living around Topsail Beach, possibly Sneads Ferry area, maybe Emerald Isle areas? I would like to live around the coast....safety is my biggest concern.
It looks like it's hard to find 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom dog friendly condos online. When I search, I see more houses then anything. Are there more available condos to see when I'm actually there and rent locally or just like online, do these type of properties not really exist?
I would like to live in a unit that has neighbors attached, I feel safer in a sense. At the same time, I don't want rowdy neighbors, so that's why I am shying away from Jacksonville. From what I've seen it looks like Jacksonville has a large population of younger men and women in the Marines/Navy and it sounds like they like to let loose a little and party when not working. Which, is totally cool by me, it's just I'm a bit older now and would like somewhere kind of quiet to live.
Any suggestions? My commute I would like to be no more then 30 minutes to base.
Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Safety need not be a concern in Jacksonville. That's not always been the case though. I understand your concern about noise as well. The areas that'd be best to live at start at Cape Carteret/Cedar Point to as far as Hubert on the other side. The prime areas IMO would be Swansboro on one side. The closest "quiet" area would be Sneads Ferry right outside the back gate at NC Hwy 172.
Sneads Ferry, NC to Courthouse Bay, Camp Lejeune, NC 28460 - Google Maps

Not much out in Sneads Ferry but a pleasant quiet area and not too far from J'ville proper.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:40 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Perhaps your choices might be larger if you search for 'pet friendly apartments' as well as 'pet friendly condos for rent'?

Old 10-06-2011, 12:26 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaganoosh2000 View Post
Hello,
It looks like it's hard to find 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom dog friendly condos online.
These are advertised as opening in the fall 2011. Dogs are allowed, and they have a dog park. It's the Quarters at Stones Bay:
1001 Quarters Landing Sneads Ferry, NC 28460
Call: (866) 930-8088
Amenities

There is also a large rental complex being built on 210 in Sneads Ferry, called Blackwater Luxury Apartments. I can't find anything online, but they have signs saying leasing now. I can get the phone number, but they may not be finished until December.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-06-2011 at 12:39 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Sneads Ferry is pretty quiet, except when they fire the artillery at night or fly the helicopters at night. The Stones Bay apartments are next to the rifle range. Can your employer help you with finding an apartment? I know there are more in Surf City and Topsail Beach, but you may be more than a 1/2 hour commute to your work.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 30,370 times
Hey,

I really appreciate all of your responses, this is great help. I will look into all areas each of you suggested.

Mac - When you say safety should be a concern, does that mean I'm pretty good to go in J-ville? Of course, I understand anything can happen anywhere, but I looked up crime statistics for Jacksonville and rape is insanley high. I live in a huge city here in CA, and the Jacksonville rape statistics are 4 times higher then where I am, which blew my mind. It just made me cautious...

Golden - thank you so much for the offer, when I am out there next week for a meeting I will look for the Blackwater sign. I already have contacted Stones Bay, saw those online. Waiting for a call back to find out more information.

JK - have searched every different type of combo you can for pet friendly, dog friendly and long term rentals out there. There are some which pop up, but lots of ones without neighbors. Thank you for the suggestion though, it makes me still realize I need to try more combos.

I have found a place by Surf City, but I just don't know about that commute. I guess when I'm out there I'll do the drive one day to see just how bad it is for me.

Again, thank you all for your time and input.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Hello,

It looks like it's hard to find 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom dog friendly condos online. When I search, I see more houses then anything. Are there more available condos to see when I'm actually there and rent locally or just like online, do these type of properties not really exist?
I checked the rentals on Realtor.com, and there are some beach houses, and a couple new duplexes. I think you would have to contact the realtors individually to find out the dog policy. Sneads Ferry is almost rural, and we don't have apartment complexes in the numbers that Jacksonville has. You might check Craigslist, and you might discover some units when you drive by when you are here next week. There are some small complexes that just put out signs along the road.

However, I noticed how far Courthouse Bay is from Jacksonville proper, so you might as well live in a coastal town. I think you would enjoy it, and I hope The Quarters at Stones Bay works for you.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-06-2011 at 05:54 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 06:01 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
//www.city-data.com/city/Jackso...-Carolina.html

Looking at city-data's crime statistics for Jacksonville, it is below the national average. If you're coming to Camp Lejeune for work for the Gov't from Cali, I'm going to assume you must be coming from the San Diego area. If you break it down per 100,000 San Diego has a rate of 24.2 to 49 for Jacksonville, but when you talk about pure numbers it's 318 to 38. Jacksonville is a much smaller place. A city of 1+ million to a city of about 80K. In a smaller city everything is going to have a higher impact on the numbers. That's why you can look at a city like New York, which numerically has crime rates, but percentage wise it's very low. Most incidents surround night clubs and one particular area of Jacksonville (New River Apts). In general, your biggest concern in J'ville would be traffic.

Here are some past threads on the area:
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...nville-nc.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...dont-have.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...-confused.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...p-lejeune.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...pstead-nc.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ads-ferry.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ksonville.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...roit-help.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...nville-nc.html

Old 10-07-2011, 08:29 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
babaganoosh2000,
Coastal NC is diverse. I hope you find an area and a home that you like.
Now what I'm about to do is probably gonna get booted off........
My wife is an independent real estate broker. At her web site she has a free property search engine. It lists every property from every real estate agency in the Havelock, Swansboro, Emerald Isle, Morehead City, Beaufort and down east areas. (Additional listings in New Bern, Pamlico and Beaufort Co)

It includes rentals. I just checked-It has 96 rentals available.
The search engine is free and open to the public. There is no charge from my wife to you if you find a listed rental. You'd think since there is no charge to you that this wouldn't get booted but let's see. If it does it means someone sent in a complaint.

Here goes-Let's see if it gets booted: Crystal Coast and New Bern MLS Property Search
I apologise if I broke a rule-Just trying to help.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
.... when I am out there next week for a meeting I will look for the Blackwater sign. I already have contacted Stones Bay, saw those online.
Correction. The is only one new apartment complex in Sneads Ferry, and it is called the Quarters at Stones Bay. Blackwater is the name of the development company, and I was mistaken about it being another development. I was there taking pictures this AM, and I met the property manager, who was also taking pictures. They are leasing starting in December, with the first building (on the far right in my third picture). They accept dogs up to 75 pounds (but not aggressive breeds) and also cats. The property manager gave me this phone number: (866) 842-2133, and website: www.quartersatstonesbay.com I am attaching my pictures of the development on October 7, 2011. I think it will be very nice, but it is not finished yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to NC from CA for work near Camp Lejeune-quartersstonebay.jpg   Moving to NC from CA for work near Camp Lejeune-quartersleasingclose-up.jpg   Moving to NC from CA for work near Camp Lejeune-quartersclosetofinish.jpg  

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-07-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina