Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 03:51 PM

66 posts, read 236,967 times

Advertisements

I just accepted employment in Virginia Beach, VA and am looking to rent something on the NC/VA line, like Moyock. Does anyone know about rentals in the area, such as avg. prices and overall safety/crime level. Also, its about 30minutes from VB, right? How far to the NC coast? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 11:39 AM

25 posts, read 126,995 times
Default Moyock

You won't likely find an awful lot of rentals in Moyock. There are some to be sure but not many. It is mostly single family homes on acre-plus tracts. No apartment/condo complexes at all yet though I understand a move is afoot to build more affordable housing in the area.

There is very little crime to speak of in Moyock. There is some to be sure but it's not a place where you'd be afraid to leave your bike outside all night. Serious crime is almost unheard of. The local newspaper out of Elizabeth City, the Daily Advance (DailyAdvance.com - Elizabeth City news online) publishes a weekly crime report. Moyock is in Currituck County. Most of the arrests reported in Currituck County in a given week are overwhelmingly minor ones...marijuana possession, traffic offenses, etc. It is generally a very safe place.

It's a little longer than 30 minutes to Va. Beach, particularly depending on what part of Va. Beach you are going to (Va. Beach is huge landwise). I commute to a part of Va. Beach near the Norfolk line from Moyock and it's about 40 minutes if I don't hit traffic. The Va. Beach oceanfront resort area is farther...close to an hour away from Moyock. Downtown Norfolk is about a 35 minute ride. Keep in mind that the traffic in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area is notoriously bad at rush hour. If you are commuting, that will be a factor. The travel times I have posted do not factor in rush hour traffic. I normally leave Moyock around 6 am to get to Va. Beach by 6:45 am. Leaving that early almost guarantees I won't hit much traffic. But if you leave Moyock later than, say, an 7:00 am, you can figure on adding at least another 30 minutes to any travel times I have posted.

The Outer Banks/NC beaches (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk) are about a 45 minute ride from Moyock. Elizabeth City NC (the largest town in NE NC) is about 25 or 30 minutes.

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2007, 01:03 PM

578 posts, read 2,097,849 times
Is Currituck going to remain a rural place or be hit with ugly sprawl?

Old 08-26-2007, 04:43 PM

25 posts, read 126,995 times
Default Yes and No

It is certainly growing that's for sure. Although I doubt it will ever reach the levels of sprawl seen in bigger cities. The problem for Currituck is that sprawl is hitting it from three sides. In the southern end of the county, there is sprawl associated with the explosive growth on the Outer Banks. In the northern end of the county, sprawl is spreading from Tidewater Virginia. And the central parts of the county are affected by growth from Elizabeth City.

Unfortunately, it will not remain a largely rural county for long.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:39 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NENC View Post
You won't likely find an awful lot of rentals in Moyock. There are some to be sure but not many. It is mostly single family homes on acre-plus tracts. No apartment/condo complexes at all yet though I understand a move is afoot to build more affordable housing in the area.

There is very little crime to speak of in Moyock. There is some to be sure but it's not a place where you'd be afraid to leave your bike outside all night. Serious crime is almost unheard of. The local newspaper out of Elizabeth City, the Daily Advance (DailyAdvance.com - Elizabeth City news online) publishes a weekly crime report. Moyock is in Currituck County. Most of the arrests reported in Currituck County in a given week are overwhelmingly minor ones...marijuana possession, traffic offenses, etc. It is generally a very safe place.

It's a little longer than 30 minutes to Va. Beach, particularly depending on what part of Va. Beach you are going to (Va. Beach is huge landwise). I commute to a part of Va. Beach near the Norfolk line from Moyock and it's about 40 minutes if I don't hit traffic. The Va. Beach oceanfront resort area is farther...close to an hour away from Moyock. Downtown Norfolk is about a 35 minute ride. Keep in mind that the traffic in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area is notoriously bad at rush hour. If you are commuting, that will be a factor. The travel times I have posted do not factor in rush hour traffic. I normally leave Moyock around 6 am to get to Va. Beach by 6:45 am. Leaving that early almost guarantees I won't hit much traffic. But if you leave Moyock later than, say, an 7:00 am, you can figure on adding at least another 30 minutes to any travel times I have posted.

The Outer Banks/NC beaches (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk) are about a 45 minute ride from Moyock. Elizabeth City NC (the largest town in NE NC) is about 25 or 30 minutes.

Good luck!
What about Moyock (or Knotts Island) to Hampton, VA? Leaving at 6:00 a.m.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,593 times
Do anybody knows who renting a two bed room in moyock or Currituck county at a reasonable price if so text me 7577179219 ask for antonyo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina