Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 AM

10 posts, read 30,380 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I posted on here once before and found the responses I received on this site to be of great help. I am relocating from San Diego to Camp Lejeune for work. I wasn't sure exactly what area I wanted to live in, but after visiting I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to Emerald Isle or Topsail/Surf City (not sure where one ends and starts - but near the 50 and Shore is where I am hoping for).
I am 30 years old, not much of a partier but like the option of going out to a restaurant every once in a while or a movie. If friends come visit, they'd probably want to go to a bar, but again, none of us are big partiers although I do like to be around people. I think during the summer, it will be a lot of fun to live in these beach areas.

For the people who live or frequent this area, which would you recommend someone to move to and why?

Also, is there a city comparable to Wilmington that is close (30 min) to Emerald Isle? Wilmington does sound like a lot of fun so it kind of draws me in to wanting to live in Surf City. However, the few posts I've seen in these forums make is sound like there is more to do in Emerald Isle possibly?

Also, out of curiosity, does one of these beach areas flood more often over the other when it rains/ or hurricane hits?

Thanks a ton in advance for any recommendations, thoughts, and help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 03:48 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
My brother in law lives in Emerald Isle and there really isn't anything there other than the beach. In neighboring Morehead City you will find a few chain restaurants, bars, etc. EI is far from Camp Lejeune. There is no city in coastal NC that compares to WILMINGTON as far as amenities, dining, shopping, etc. You could move to Wilmington and commute to CL in Jacksonville. It would be about 45 minutes (depending on where you live). This would probably make the most sense. Best of luck.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:56 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaganoosh2000 View Post
Also, out of curiosity, does one of these beach areas flood more often over the other when it rains/ or hurricane hits?
Hurricanes are unpredictable, but in 1996, Fran washed over parts of North Topsail Beach and there are unbuildable stretches.

I haven't been to Emerald Isle, but I also suspect there are more and better bars than in Surf City.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
Emerald Isle is a classic tourist town, meaning barren in the winter and overran in the summer. EI bridge in the summer is and 58 just as bad. You may not want leave your house during the day. Bars/clubs stay active year round due to the military presence, though. Did you say you 'd be working at Stone Bay or Courthouse Bay? Either way they both tend toward living SE of Jackosnville. If you insisted on living toward Emearld Isle I'd look into Swansboro or Cedar Point. If looking for cheap housing, Stella or Hubert.

Regardless of the locationsyou listed, I think the best place that meets your desires is Hampstead. It's about 30 min or less from the Sneads Ferry gate and and about 30 min or less from downtown Wilmington, plus has enough there to not feel like you are away from civilization when at home.

Hampstead, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hampstead Chamber of Commerce NC | Hampstead Chamber of Commerce

Old 10-24-2011, 09:12 AM

10 posts, read 30,380 times
Thanks escape, golden, mac!

Mac - I did go through Hampstead when driving to Surf City. It looked nice, I just love the look of the Topsail/Surf City area. And you're right - Courthouse Bay.

I looked at the commute and it looked the same distance from both sides, although I did not think about the bridge traffic, that was a good reminder.

I really appreciate all of your input. I think I am now leaning towards Hampstead/Surf City again.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
Granted bridge traffic would really only affect your Friday commute homes. It can be avoided if you know the times to avoid the bridge/area, still the tourist season is somethimng to consider. Also places on Bogue Banks tend to close early in the off season, and that's if they don't outright close altogether.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,174 times
Default New Bern

Been going there all my life and love it. Wish I could move there. Love Emerald Isle too but it is probably boring in the winter, however, New Bern is only 40 mins from there. great people, great southern charm, small but everything you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina