Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:36 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times

Advertisements

A couple of weekends ago, my husband and I went exploring in the area. We WERE going to go visit the Bald Island Lighthouse.

However, we got out to the ferry and it was a ZOO so we decided another time. On our way back however, we did discover Orton Gardens and Plantation (http://www.ortongardens.com/index.html - broken link). We wandered the gardens and went into the Chapel. The main house is a private residence so you can't go inside but I got pictures of it and the gardens.

We also wandered around the dock of Southport and ate at one of the restaurants there for lunch. We also wanted to go to Brunswick Town but it's apparently closed on Sundays and Mondays due to budget cuts. So we will have to try that on a Sat one weekend.

Still, in spite of not getting to the lighthouse, we had a good day. Here is a link to the pictures I took that day:
Southport
Orton Gardens and Plantation

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Southernlady,
Thank you for sharing your delightful tour of the area in pictures!
More adventures to discover in September.
We love the quaint town of South Port. Do you know anything of the plans to build a Sea Port in that area?
Your pics are lovely!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 PM

No, I don't but then I have only been here a couple of months myself. We still haven't finished unpacking but got enough unpacked to where we felt we could take time and start exploring.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos. I hope there will be more soon Liz

Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 PM

We came this (") close to buying a lot in South Port, but heard about the proposed Sea Port plan and wondered what that would look like.
It is still in the radar!

Keep those photos coming! They are MOST appreciated

Good luck with the unpacking!!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:31 PM

Okay, I found the info on the Sea Port:
North Carolina International Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
newsobserver.com | Southport to be key port

But it's gonna be awhile before we see anything it seems. Liz

Old 08-24-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Okay, I found the info on the Sea Port:
North Carolina International Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
newsobserver.com | Southport to be key port

But it's gonna be awhile before we see anything it seems. Liz
WOW!
Thanks Southernlady

Old 08-24-2007, 06:51 PM

698 posts, read 3,267,566 times
Southernlady5464.....I was surprised not to see any pictures of you in the swings.That was one of my favorite things-swinging and looking out at the water.Haven't been to Orton Plantation yet,but looking forward to going.

Be sure and go to all the festivals coming up in the fall.There's one on the riverfront,but my personal one is the one at Holden Beach.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-24-2007, 06:54 PM

We need to list the festivals coming up or list a place to find them. Since I am new to the area, I don't know what they are.

I was too busy heading to the pier to play in the swing this time. Liz

Old 08-25-2007, 10:37 AM

69 posts, read 454,017 times
I just got here myself last week. Haven't been able to do much exploring yet due to unpacking and getting a job as a Counselor at one of the high schools here but I have been to Orton Plantations before and they are gorgeous... one of my favorite places to go!

A list of the festivals around here would be greatly appreciated by this newbie too!

Old 08-25-2007, 07:35 PM

698 posts, read 3,267,566 times
You can find a list of Calendar of Events and Attractions at the front of The Real Yellow Pages Phone Book starting on Page 32.
The aquarium at Fort Fisher is VERY nice also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina