Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:56 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,289,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepeppercorns View Post
I'm a single bartender-student (on-line classes) who reeeaally wants to get out of Milwaukee.

. . .

I love parks, rain, SUN, quiet, food, hiking, camping, and anything water related.

Thanks for ANY help!!!
Things to think about:

How about the edge of a small city? It will be easier to get a bar-tending job in a city, as in a small town the job will go to the owner's friend's son-in-law. Look at a map for national/state parks that are near small cities.

Do you want to camp and hike in many different places, or do you want to find a favorite spot near home and go there often? If you want to try many places, you can get involved with a meetup group and hitch a ride. Try looking for meetup groups (meetup.com) in different areas, and see what hiking and camping groups are active.

Fall and winter rains can be pretty nice, but in NC spring and summer rains are frequently accompanied by thunderstorms, and sometimes by tornadoes. Thunderstorms are not good for outdoor activities, so there will be a lot of spring/summer days when you will not be able to do your outdoor things. There are more thunderstorms and damaging tornadoes in the eastern part of the state, but the entire state can get them.

How about heat and humidity? All of NC is hot during the summer, but the eastern part is hotter. You have to get pretty high in the mountains to get some relief. The eastern part of the state doesn't get much snow, though, if that's important. It might be hard to get around by bicycle if you choose the mountains.

You can find some quiet by staying out of the city, but you will probably have neighbors who like to shoot guns and ride ATVs and dirt bikes around their property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:36 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,708 times
I would suggest visting different areas of NC to determine what "fits" siince you are looking at too broad of a spectrum. For nice weather, sunshine and outdoors activities, you've only eliminated about half of the USA. You can get these things in NM, AZ, TX, CA, TN, KY, FL, AL, GA, SC, etc.

As a former Mid-westerner speaking, NC may or may not be up your alley. The state has changed significantly over the past 10 years with a huge influx of transplants. The migration has changed the communities within NC entirely. Current day NC might not be the NC you loved so many years ago.

And, then there is the jobs discussion. You may have a good shot at a decent bartending job depending on your skills, but you'll most likely need to be in a larger metro to land such a job.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
I don't drive/have a car, and I'd like to stay that way. Riding a bike in the winter here is out of the question. I am definitely not opposed to public transportation, as long as it's relatively safe.
There are lots of bars in Jacksonville, and it's possible to bike or ride a bus. The coastal towns like Swansboro, Surf City and Emerald Isle have bars and restaurants, but the work is very seasonal.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
You might want to look into Wilmington, its part college and family town. Its near the ocean but not on the ocean but job opportunities for you are abound, especailly in its historic downtown, and has a bus system.

You could hike & bike in Carolina State Park and view the Venus Fly Traps

Im moderator of this forum, I can move this thread if you want to Coastal forum where you will get better response from those who live near the ocean and have more knowledge of those cities if you want if that is your focus.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:52 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Things to think about:
You can find some quiet by staying out of the city, but you will probably have neighbors who like to shoot guns and ride ATVs and dirt bikes around their property.
Amen!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM

13 posts, read 17,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You might want to look into Wilmington, its part college and family town. Its near the ocean but not on the ocean but job opportunities for you are abound, especailly in its historic downtown, and has a bus system.

You could hike & bike in Carolina State Park and view the Venus Fly Traps

Im moderator of this forum, I can move this thread if you want to Coastal forum where you will get better response from those who live near the ocean and have more knowledge of those cities if you want if that is your focus.
This is really good info. And sure, moving the thread wouldn't hurt. I'm going to check out Wilmington for now...

Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There are lots of bars in Jacksonville, and it's possible to bike or ride a bus. The coastal towns like Swansboro, Surf City and Emerald Isle have bars and restaurants, but the work is very seasonal.
Yeah, I was looking at Emerald Isle specifically...not too much there...thanks for the input

Old 01-05-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Things to think about:

How about the edge of a small city? It will be easier to get a bar-tending job in a city, as in a small town the job will go to the owner's friend's son-in-law. Look at a map for national/state parks that are near small cities.

Do you want to camp and hike in many different places, or do you want to find a favorite spot near home and go there often? If you want to try many places, you can get involved with a meetup group and hitch a ride. Try looking for meetup groups (meetup.com) in different areas, and see what hiking and camping groups are active.

Fall and winter rains can be pretty nice, but in NC spring and summer rains are frequently accompanied by thunderstorms, and sometimes by tornadoes. Thunderstorms are not good for outdoor activities, so there will be a lot of spring/summer days when you will not be able to do your outdoor things. There are more thunderstorms and damaging tornadoes in the eastern part of the state, but the entire state can get them.

How about heat and humidity? All of NC is hot during the summer, but the eastern part is hotter. You have to get pretty high in the mountains to get some relief. The eastern part of the state doesn't get much snow, though, if that's important. It might be hard to get around by bicycle if you choose the mountains.

You could be very right about the bartending jobs in smaller towns. I was thinking that myself.

I'm used to heat and humidity, so that's no bother. And I love thunderstorms. Never experienced a tornado but hey! there's a first time for everything.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
This is really good info. And sure, moving the thread wouldn't hurt. I'm going to check out Wilmington for now...
Your welcome.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:31 AM

278 posts, read 576,935 times
I think Beaufort, or Morehead City would fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina